Double Actions

I tend to lean to low tech solutions, because in my own life they work best. As you can probably tell, I’m no genius when it comes to electronics, shoot I have trouble just getting this thing to print what I type.
These days I’m happy with simple plugs on a string, or sometimes muffs, but I don’t much like muffs, they work, but are just too bulky and cumbersome for most activities.
I guess I’ve already lost enough of my hearing that plugs pretty much make everything tolerable, whilst providing for me the best adaptability to a variety of conditions.

9 Likes

My 4 inch Taurus 357 is not hard to handle, I load some pretty stiff loads for it and not that bad at all, just have to pay more attention on grip and control.

8 Likes

@rjburk

Agreed. Firing .357 magnums out of a full size revolver (over 2 pounds in weight), is fine. Firing the gun will still recoil a bit, but it is not unpleasant and can be controlled.

My prior comments about the magnums were focused on firing .357 magnums out of small, lightweight snubnose revolvers. Can be done, and may make some sense sometimes. But, much harder to control, very loud, and basically no fun at all.

The GP100 6 inch barrel .357 magnum I showed above is the kind of gun that makes sense to use with the magnum loads (thus, it is my favorite for such activity). But for me, it is too big a handgun to use for home defense. Fine for target shooting and hunting, though.

4 Likes

From what I’ve seen, Taurus revolvers are pretty much like Spanish guns, they are all over the place in terms of quality and usefulness. One particularly well known gunsmith who will not be named flat refused to work on them. On the other hand, some lines are pretty popular, like the Tracker with the built in ports.
If you like em, and they work, then fine.
My biggest problem with Taurus, at least around here, was their price. They were right up there with S&W, and often more than Ruger. The sales staff generally was ignorant of their quality, which wasn’t Taurus’ fault, but certainly did little to inspire confidence.
The guys who I knew who were into buying and selling never gravitated to them, probably because of what I said above, and I never bought one, preferring to save my water for the best I could get. So, I guess this is a heck of a long winded way to simply put that I have no personal experience with Taurus, so I can’t offer much besides a smile and a nod.

6 Likes

@MAK

I have owned several Taurus revolvers - all in the Judge series. I liked all of them and only had a problem one time with the Raging Judge after firing some .454 Casull (sp?) rounds thru it (which it is certified for). The cylinder jammed and the trigger got stuck in the back (fired) position. Fortunately, I was at a gun range that was connected to a gun store with gunsmiths there. They fixed it very quickly and I never fired .454’s out of the gun again. When I fired .45 Colt +P’s out of it - no problem. So, something about the extra recoil and pressures of the .454 Casull’s caused the problem. I have also fired many .410’s out of it with no problems.

All of my other Taurus Judges - never a problem with any of the ammo.

4 Likes

Hand Cannon

$800 out of pocket now and second owner

came with 3 boxes (less 14 rounds), 2 speed loaders, pachy Decelerator + original grips and Bianchi holster
by my guess virtually unfired

8 Likes

@srdiver

Looks nice. S&W Model 29 in .44 mag? Ahhh, Dirty Harry’s old gun. With all the ammo and accessories, $800 is a good price. Can’t quite tell if that is the older model with the firing pin attached to the hammer - is it? That would be the one thing I like better on the newer models (floating firing pin not attached to the hammer).

6 Likes

DH’s was a dash 2
Dash three - factory target grips marked 12 / 80
and the price reflects that age on the box of ammo

8 Likes

From my very limited experience, I think they have been improving. The first revolver of theirs I looked at/ shot was quite similar looking to a 629 with fancy paint, and what I could see the forcing cone gap varied from chamber to chamber quite a bit so I assume the cylinder face was not turned square to the axis. Trigger kind of reminded me of opening a garage door. I have since looked at a couple of “Raging XXX” models and the fit was drastically improved over the first one, trigger improved but still not quite there. Never shot a Judge but left fingerprints on a few. Only autos of theirs I have shot are the 92’s, none of the striker fired, but overall they have a good rep.

8 Likes

The first “real” (I don’t count the NAA 22 short) gun I bought was a Ruger GP100 with a 4 in barrel. I got it in the early 90s from my brother who bought it in March of 89. It is easy to shoot, although I don’t get it out as often as I should.

9 Likes

I remember a few old Spanish guns, one of which was a 25 ACP Colt clone that rattled just sitting on a desk. Spanish Mausers, especially those made for hunting, were notorious for sub par steel and sloppy tolerances. Mauser actions do require sophisticated machining, yet it’s hard to understand why one would bother to tackle such a project, only to corrupt it with cheap steel and high school level gunsmithing.
From what I understand, there were a few shops that did offer some quality guns, however the term buyer beware certainly applies here. There were some decent surplus pistols to come out of Spain, but like the 9mm Largo, most were somewhat below utilitarian virtue.
Even if their manufacturing has improved, though, their previous spotty quality record will continue to dog them, until or whenever they demonstrate that they finally have achieved something better.
I hear Begara does a good job with bolt action rifles, so maybe this is a start in the right direction.

9 Likes

Passed on a heck of deal on a Astra 9mm now I wished I would have picked up.

Re Bergarra I think they are probably as good/bad as the others. I’ve even heard bad things about Tikka T3s. Kicking Savage seems to be a sport. Was surprised to hear some slamming Christensen.

Guaranteed somebody’s walking around bad mouthing Bergara too. In the end it is about support I think.

7 Likes

Well, the essence of politics is that there will always be vocal detractors, no matter what is done, and it seems a good dose of this, together with a gunny version of the old Ford vs Chevy debate is pretty much the rule rather than the exception.
Far as I can tell, all this is best avoided.
Personal experience is the best teacher, and a rational sense to interpret that experience is essential. One can get an idea from outside information, but the only way to truly know is to get those hands dirty.
Yep, those fishermen stories are big in gunny circles as well. I once stumbled upon an excellent Colt New Service in 45 ACP. It wasn’t cheap, but it was a genuine civilian version. I didn’t know at the time that these were pretty rare, and when I went back it was long gone to someone more in the know than I. Well, for me it was the one that got away, but for that guy who nabbed it, it was the one he found. All in the perspective.

9 Likes

Did you go ? June 14-17 wasnt it ?

4 Likes

Just picked this one up yesterday off of layaway

7 Likes

Solid shootin iron.

8 Likes

Ruger your favorite?

7 Likes

I have one S&W mod 66-8 2.75" barrel K frame… that I carry most of the time, only because I don’t have a Ruger in it’s size. But if I had a GP100 in it’s size, I’d be carrying it.

8 Likes

I’ve not had a Ruger in decades, recall I liked the one I had, lots of S&W’s over the years and only a couple Colts, favor the cylinder release on a S&W over Colt

7 Likes

I have a soft spot in my heart for GP100’s . I have solid experience with one and can attest to their reliability and accuracy. Sharp Revolver .I carried and qualified in the WV police Academy on one. Carried on duty for about 1 year before converting to sig sauer P229 in 40 S&W . I actuaĺly could shoot that Sig well, but the springs wouldn’t hold up in the Mags . It was also very prone to jams

7 Likes