Drills, drills, and more drills

Alright gents, it’s the weekend. What are we doing for training our skills out there on the range?

I worked transitions, rifle to pistol. With a bunch of low load magazines, shoot until you run dry, then use a non-standard response with the pistol. What’s everyone doing? What are some of your favorite drills?

4 Likes

Dry practice for 30 min and isometric holds with bolt rifle standing.
It’s good to hear you keep up on training.
Make yesterday jealous of today!

5 Likes

Expecting a fun day today!

I have family and friends coming over later this afternoon and they’re bringing their guns. So after I finish up my coffee here, I’ll be attending a few more yard duties like setting up our range for both short distance and longer distances. I have to resight in a couple of my rifles and shotguns. Wife will be dirting up many of her handguns I’m sure.

After that we’ll be grilling out hamburgers and hotdogs for dinner. Campfire later this evening. Then we’ll be tossing back a few beers, hand out s’mores for kids and shoot the breeze among us adults.

Typical summer weekend when friends and family visit.

4 Likes

Sounds more like a party than practice!

3 Likes

More of a ammo party!

Noone is a heavy drinker and I’ll add no alcohol is consumed until the campfire brakes out… Just a fun and relaxing small get together of about eight adults and a few kids. We do this about three times a year during the summer months for the past 20 years.

2 Likes

what about going to a gun show?

I attended the Palmetto gun show (Florida), checking out everything!

It is a good gun show for those so inclined and located within easy driving range.

And, free parking!

Sounds like drills for wallet retention…

1 Like

yes, it was tough

only made 1 purchase (wanted much more)

but, there were many interesting guns and some good deals on ammo

1 Like

Ammo is an investment though. You pick up something interesting?

1 Like

Kimber K6S 2 " barrel (new)

the ammo was really a good deal if you buy in 500 or 1000 round boxes (hmmmm……)

1 Like

I’m sure it was a real arm twister there.

1 Like

actually, there were several guns, lots of ammo, and some really nice knives, among other things, that were all on my buy list. So, the arm twisting was me twisting my own arm - not to spend too much.

One item was easy, though - the Colt Delta Elite in 10 mm - wherever I saw it, they had asking prices around $1300. Last time I thought about buying one, my local gun store manager was offering it to me at $1,050.

What happened? I can only guess that the resurgence in popularity of 10 mm has allowed them to raise the price. Dang!

1 Like

Lately my favorite has been to sprint 50 yards to a hanging steel, and from as close as I feel comfortable shooting at it, firing 5 shots as rapidly as I can, then running back about 10 yards, pivoting, 5 shots, then another 10 yards, another 5 shots, another 10 yards, another 5 shots.

The speed of the 5 shots slows as the distance grows, if I want to hit the steel (it’s a10"), and the goal is to increase the speed. The challenge is the distance and the heart rate, but it’s a 20 shot exercise, so I randomly divide 20 rounds between two magazines so that somewhere in the middle I have to reload, I just don’t know exactly when.

The idea is to run it as fast as possible, so increasing the mag change speed is a part of the goal, as well as hitting all 20 shots.

2 Likes

Most folks won’t agree with this:
But since most ranges won’t allow any kind of serious practice, considering it too dangerous, I do most of my practice with airguns in the privacy of my garage.
Laugh all you want, but it allows doing the kind of stuff that would get me kicked out of most places.
Other than attending matches or training sessions, there’s really no other way.
And it works just fine with easy transitions with firearms.

I used to this with .22 in the indoor range in the basement we no longer have.
Airguns do the trick very well.
Just a thought.

5 Likes

you can buy airguns that have drop out magazine and that mimic the the real steel - up to and including full auto rifles and SMGs - hell you can even buy a glock co2 pistol or a full auto AR15 DPMS carbine.
The ones you want are in the $100-200 dollar range, offer “Blow Back” operation and drop free magazines. You can even get revolvers that have individual “bullets”.
I do the same thing in the Garage and the one reason my Daughter and Wife were able to shoot so well the first time shooting real steel is because of other than the “loud” report, they had already experienced the actual mechanics of operation (such as the slide moving rearward)

Top - S&W TR8, Colt SAA and the Webley MKvi
middle - PT92 (Kind of a Taurus/Beretta but full auto) and a Sig P226 X5
Third - S&W M&P40, Colt 1911, Sig P226 X5, and Luger P08
And what is not seen is the Beretta 92A3 (Full Auto) and the MP40 (Full Auto)
The Web I can shoot in the garage for an hour at the same cost as one cylinder of the real MKvi. The M&P is close to the action of the Girsan 28, the SIGs are my indoor P762 or CZ99 and 1911 to remind why I prefer the Brownings or CZ75s

3 Likes