Dry Fire Training Drills

technique

Dry fire training is a good way to improve accuracy and trigger control

:+1:

Good instruction. I see plenty of people of all ages with expensive toys with no clue what they’re doing. consistently all over the paper from poor finger control

^ This.

I had this issue with some of my handguns. I learned I was going too fast before I got muscle memory.

I was awful when I got my first handgun! A very patient korean war vet was kind enough to give me some pointers at the range. “Son, you dont need to stick your fat meat hooks through the whole trigger guard!”

Practice makes perfect

Dry firing before shooting live rounds and dry fire after has helped me the most.

Trigger control is key

How many include movement in their dry fire practice?
Like shooting from clumsy and off balance positions.
Around corners?
Low to the ground?
Side steps and even running?

Unless I’m working on specific drills, I’m almost always incorporating movement in my dry fire, even if it’s just a few small steps.

I wish I could include more movement in my dry fire, but I only have so much room in my apartment. I can’t exactly train outside in the field by the apartment complex.

Once one buttons up stationary basic trigger control movement should be next.

Right now I’m working on room clearing and around corners with the Star and Makarov since I alternate carrying these around the house.

On the few days that I work from home and get stuck on a long phone call (the ones you wonder why you were “required” for)… I have been known to put a laser trainer in on of my pistols and shoot a laser reactive target.

I dry fire at my office desk pretty regularly, but THE BEST dry fire drill I’ve ever done for any type of shooting is either mixing dummy rounds randomly amongst live rounds in a magazine, or if you’re training with a partner, have them hand you the weapon without you knowing if it is loaded or empty. My coach in high school was a USCG olympic team member back in the day and to this day I credit him with getting me to eventually being a part of the national champion PSU rifle team in 2011. I still hear his voice in my head when making precise shots. Even the most experienced shooters I hit the range with are amazed at the difference in accuracy and consistency they achieve in a matter of MAYBE 50 live rounds sent down range. It is hands down the best accuracy improvement drill you can do and requires very little range time and money spent on ammo. All the time I see people putting adjustable sights on handguns in particular because they think the fixed ones shoot low and to the left. “I never flinch” “its only a 22, why would I worry about recoil” “i already shoot tight groups, the sights are just off” . I’ve heard it all lol. Then when I pick up their same gun with the allegedly “off” sights and stack rounds in the 10 ring, and put them through that drill just once to prove their flinch, their tune changes pretty quickly! I always have dummies reloaded without a primer or powder on hand so if I’m practicing solo, I can’t feel the difference between the two when loading the mag without looking so I won’t know when to expect either a bang or a click. If you haven’t tried it yet, give it a try next time you’re out and see what I mean! Its pretty incredible what it can do!

That is another great drill. It is very rare that someone is standing still when they are trying to protect themselves.

Sounds interesting

Cool. Those are interesting