Emotional Attachment (Fanboyism) to Firearms is Toxic

I have seen a test - and it choked on the first step and durability test.

I don’t think you would fit my definition of a fanboy then.

To me, a fanboy thinks he is superior to other people because he bought Gun A instead of Gun B.

3 Likes

Mall ninjas do that alot.

3 Likes

4 Likes

That is a scary hammer! We need to ban it!

2 Likes

Everyone has their favorites but there is a difference in having a favorite gun and thinking that anything else is junk. People are better with one type of gun than they are another and that should be the gun they choose. It may be different than someone’s but it is still the best for them. I like most manufacturers but not all guns they make. There are a few exceptions about manufacturers also. There are a few I think are a waste of money because of reliability issues. It is very few though.

4 Likes

Agreed. There’s nothing wrong with having a favorite gun and shooting well with it. There’s a problem when your emotions cloud judgment and you think the gun is better than others simply because they aren’t your favorite gun, especially when you don’t have any objective data to prove one is better or worse than another.

Emotions cloud judgement.

2 Likes

Exactly

3 Likes

Agree it’s about training not glam

3 Likes

I think one of the main issues that was discussed is the lack of humbleness that most sheep have today
It’s not about what is the function and purpose of such a weapon but is it better than what Johnny across the street has
I prefer time proven and tested weapons as opposed to the new and latest and greatest that has no time in combat or general service

3 Likes

Damn emotions always getting in the way.

Well, time to start running an M1 Garand.

4 Likes

Garand’s are a great rifle no doubt

4 Likes

It’s amazing to me. When you think of it, it can still be quite a somewhat viable piece today, minus the weight and limited capacity.

4 Likes

Agreed
The limited capacity is the issue for me
The cartridge weight alone slowed less munitions to be carried by one

3 Likes

Seems like a point of pride for people to have a gun that is more expensive than Johnny across the street.

Social media has really amplified the “keeping up with the Joneses” effect.

Instead, people should be more concerned about how well they can use the guns they own. That often means swallowing pride and practicing things they’re bad at, going to classes and learning from others, and spending money on ammo instead of a new, more expensive gun.

Guns aren’t magic talismans that turn everyone into John Wick. Guns require skill, skill requires practice, practice requires discipline.

4 Likes

Social media is pretty garbage, and a lot of people focus on “things” in communities to cover insecurities. However, I do believe you get what you pay for. While all the mid market pistols are pretty much the same right now, sometimes paying a little bit more can get you some extra features, or if you don’t need the features, you can pay less. Having a $2k handgun should be a sign of skill, as you’ve surpassed the ability $400 handgun, and the high end performance is an amplifier of your own abilities. It’s just obnoxious that it costs so much to get from “great” to “excellent”.

That being said, I have a $4k AR that I barely get to shoot due to work…

5 Likes

Unfortunately, some people think buying a $2k handgun automagically gives them the skill, when they are far from having the skill to max out the capabilities of a $400-$600 handgun.

There’s nothing wrong with expensive guns, I own a few expensive guns.

The problem arises when people think they can buy their skill without putting in the effort.

4 Likes

But…but…the hi point is tactical now

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/01/22/shot-2019-new-c9-hi-point-pistol/

2 Likes

It is a good value now considering the changes they’ve made on that new one. They’ve retooled to allow for double stack mags, a better grip, better slide design, a rail and a threaded barrel…for…TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS.

Honestly, it isn’t so bad now. It isn’t the only ugly duckling out there. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

For the price I would just get A Star. I wonder how the new Ruger Security 9s are holding up? They felt pretty nice in the hand and shoot pretty good but no idea how reliable they are. They go for under $300.

4 Likes

Duh. So would I. :star:

4 Likes