Ever had to draw your ccw weapon?

Just wondering if anyone has pulled their weapon in self defense type scenario.

I’m not too proud of letting my mouth run a bit but that’s sorta what started the encounter.

We were as a family making a fast food and rr stop when traveling. My mom was with us and uses a walker. She fell on the way out of the restaurant and I helped her up and she was getting into the van.

A couple of good Ole boys in a fancy truck were standing across the parking lot a couple car lengths away. I thought they were stareing so I said “take a picture it’ll last longer”. What seemed to be pretty fast, one of them came over and seemed ready to fight. He even swung into the air at me at some distance. I told him to go back to his vehicle pretty sternly and then was somewhat fearful about my well being and that of my family. I struggled to get my pocket carry out and held it pointed to the ground and repeated that they should go back to their truck. They complied with some noise and comments and we both left the parking lot. I was sorta concerned I’d get the cops called on me, and we needed to get back on the road.

I have to say it was pretty crazy and I now know what a fog can come over a person with adrenaline. I am not sure if it was part of it that my vision went foggy or maybe my glasses fogged up or maybe I had them off bc of rain. I’m not too bad without my glasses, really don’t need them much and am nearsighted so they’ve said mostly for driving or at night I need them.

Anyway, interested to hear all y’alls thoughts. I’m fully aware what I could have done to avoid it but yeah, it would have been crazy to have to defend myself.

I probably need more training too, and more range time

14 Likes

Never a bad thing :wink:

9 Likes

Never, and I hope I never have to. I’ve written this before, twice already in the very recent past. The first rule is to disengage (and never initiate), the 2nd is to be gone. The best encounter is one where the gun is never even shown, and definitely never used.

Yeah a mouth that starts the incident is, at the very best, costly to defend in court.

Have you considered taking up USPSA or IDPA? Heck, even Steel Challenge gets trigger time. I wouldn’t do 100% in real life what is done in those games, but they do teach speed and accuracy. And it’s also enjoyable. There are lots worse ways to spend a day than around other good people enjoying the 2nd Amendment and shooting. It’ll also demonstrate that there’s a huge difference between static shooting at paper and when movement is involved. Some folks can’t handle just how bad they are once a bit of pressure is applied when under a clock. Everyone is a wonderful shooter until it actually counts, then all of a sudden they suck. There is no shooting fairy that shows up to make the holes appear magically where they should be, so if it can’t be done in practice it won’t be done when it counts. Too, every bullet has a lawyer connected to it so misses can cost you very dearly.

Training is good as long as the thrust isn’t to turn you into Rambo as some today attempt. Ask, get references and ask those folks.

I’m going to suggest a subscription to Concealed Carry magazine. It’ll help to put your head in the right place for CCW.

12 Likes

No,

7 Likes

I drew my firearm once outside of range time or putting it away for the night.

I walked out of my house and the chickens were in an uproar, I mean totally going nuts all over the run. That’s when I saw a mink in the run chasing them. I ran over and was able to kick the mink as it passed me. As it was stunned and running in circles, I drew my Taurus 740 .40 and drew down, and pulled the trigger. I nailed the ground right in the center of the circles it was running. It took off, I took off after it, chased it around, but it finally got under the deck of the house where I couldn’t get to it.

Long story short, as I was chasing it I stepped on a plastic spike.
spike

Which was not slowed by my shoe.

That mink cost me two chickens, a full week of work, a $500 attendance bonus, and $5000 for an emergency room visit on a Sunday night. My wife’s uncle is a mink farmer, he brought a trap over. Captured it while I was at the hospital. I was not pleased.

12 Likes

Restraint ! More range time.

10 Likes

Taurus Judge :grinning:

8 Likes

This :arrow_up:

I never had to draw on anyone and I hope it never happens. If I’m in public, my primary objective is to get away from the threat.

My home is a different story. If anyone invades my safe space, they can expect a full magazine coming their direction.

13 Likes

Dittos. And for me it won’t be a handgun round but something suppressed and traveling over 2000fps.

10 Likes

I had to pull mine on a mountain lion twice.

13 Likes

he didn’t learn the first time?

14 Likes

The first time was while hiking and just had to scare him off.

The second time was a different one I just scared it too. That one we treed though and he grabbed one of the dogs and biting into him pretty good. So I put a round in the limb he was standing on and he dropped the dog. I was more scared of the first one though. He was crouched down in a pouncing position and I didn’t expect to see him. Glad I did though.

9 Likes

I’ve had a gun pulled on me too. When I was in JR High. Didn’t have a gun me so I wasn’t going to play Superman. The next time I seen him he had no gun though… payback ensued

11 Likes

I had 5 or 6 yotes follow me 500 yards back to my four wheeler… it was getting dark and they were close enough I heard em growling and snapping teeth. all I had was a muzzle loader. so I talked trash to em walking sideways and backwards getting to the wheeler. I seen one get too close and yelled at him, come on. you can have this 50 cal slug and will beat the rest of you bastards with the stock. after that night I declared war on them, I used to let them slide some if I seen one at prime hunting time. not anymore, I shoot em on sight. anyway I got close to the wheeler and they run off , I never heard em anymore.

12 Likes

I’ve never ran into aggressive coyotes but I know they’re out there

11 Likes

That was a first for me too, now I really hope they try it now. I never go to stand without some serious killing machines.

10 Likes

I heard one of the loudest coyotes I’ve ever heard this year while hunting. Never seen him but dang he was loud. I can’t explain it in written form.

9 Likes

I got about 50 of them letting go every afternoon. yeah, I carry ammo. I’m goin back to the woods tomorrow. I want to kill something with the Grendel. a pack of dead yotes would be perfect.

12 Likes

Is there a bounty on them where you live?

7 Likes

Just my bounty. I would love to leave the cutover strewn with the dead carcasses of the whole pack

7 Likes