"Favorite 1911's'' . . . > Picture thread <

I have several but this one has become my favorite so far…

Show us yours…

6 Likes

Dan Wesson… in variety

7 Likes

My Custom Delta Elite. This gun saved my life twice. Definitely not a safe queen.

7 Likes

Every 1911 seems to reflect it’s operator, kinda like a man and his dog…I can’t get enough of looking at this platform, when I go to the gun shop, it’s the first thing I look at.

My soon to be 1911. I plan on hunting with it mainly.

1 Like

One of my favorite carry guns in my safe.

8 Likes

My to faves are these Kimbers. The Ultra Raptor is my EDC but I love em both.

7 Likes

9 Likes

Springfield Mil Spec. It’s on me whenever I go for a walk in the woods.

9 Likes

Those sure are sexy, How do they shoot?

I thought Nazis were the only thing a person hunts with a 1911?

2 Likes

They shoot great. The Ultra Raptor I’ve had for several years with a few thousand rounds through it. I haven’t shot these from a bench but using IDPA targets from a concealed draw and in shoot and move practice they’re more than sufficiently accurate and I can only think of one FTE early on when I might have limp wristed it. I love the trigger on these both. The Ultra Raptor is my EDC and the Custom CDP II is my in car backup when I’m on the road. Both use the same mags so makes a convenient backup as well.
Others here don’t seem too fond of Kimbers but I love both of these.

4 Likes

mquinn55:

thanks for sharing your experience with your 1911, both here and elsewhere.

I am seriously considering exactly which uses / purposes for my intended 1911 purchases. In the interim, I sometimes use my Sig P238 HD, which is a baby 1911. I have never thought of it as unreliable (no reason to as it always goes bang when I expect it to). So, maybe the thought that 1911’s are not reliable enough for personal defense is not deserved for all 1911’s.

3 Likes

1911s are good pistols, didnt they serve the Marines reliably for over a 100 years?

1 Like

8 Likes

ThisOldGun:

Is that a 6" barrel?

Oooh, aaah, I have been hoping to find a 1911 with a 6" barrel.

2 Likes

mquinn55:

I only have 1 Kimber (a K6S in .357 mag), but I really like it.

They certainly are better known for the 1911’s, but despite their general high quality, I have heard some reports of inconsistent quality control. But, of course, like you and me, there are plenty of satisfied customers.

They certainly make some nice guns. I am hoping, though, to find a 1911 where the quality is high, the endurance is high, the accuracy is great, but the price is modest (under $1,000). I know, sounds unreasonable, but if I don’t set my goals high then I will be for sure disappointed.

I like the shared mags concept. Smart!

1 Like

Did you ever look at used Dan Wesson 1911s? They are the nicest non custom 1911s out there and can be had in that price range. Les Bears are “semi custom” they cost a bit more but ive seen them used at $1100-1300 several times. In terms of eye candy that is built with crasmanship those two rule for the price. As we talked about in another thread Colt is great for a hard use defensive pistol but its not anything special. Kimbers if you get a good one are good pistols and super sexy but there is a decent sized chance(not quite 50/50 but still pretty bad) itll have issues. They shoot good too. I actually went out and got to shoot a Talo edition Ruger 1911 it was under a $1000 new and I really liked that thing. Ruger really seems like a legit gun for the price.

4 Likes

I hope that was semi readable, im beyond plastered.

1 Like

jf89:

Way beyond semi readable. Great tips. Thank you.

Actually, no, I have not considered Dan Wesson, or Les Baer, either.

I have heard of a couple of issues with the base SR1911 from Ruger. Their (newer) SR1911 in 10 mm seems to have resolved those issues, so I am thinking about that one, and it is easily under $1,000 (and it looks great, too).

3 Likes