Firearms Mufflers- politics trumps safety

This will be our epitaph if the US fails as a country;

“We wanted to stop doing stupid things…
…but we were addicted to money and power.”

Our list of our stupid government actions is endless, but the regulation of firearms mufflers has to be near the top of the list. I didn’t believe it until I heard it with my own ears. We should be shouting for muffler deregulation.

I’ve worked around equipment that was so loud it would quickly damage your hearing. You’re required to wear hearing protection when you’re near it, and you’ll be removed from the job site if you don’t. If you fly, then you’ve seen the ramp crews wearing hearing protection as they service the planes. Many guns are louder than those jet engines. Gun owners have to take hearing protection seriously.

We did the opposite in the case of firearms. We imposed high taxes and long delays on the very equipment that makes firearms safer to be around. That would be considered criminal negligence if anyone other than the government were regulating firearms mufflers. It doesn’t make sense, but that is the way government works… so far.

600 more words at the link.

11 Likes

there are some European Countries that will issue tickets/fines for shooting without suppression.

8 Likes

Are you allowed to make your own? I mean if you were talented enough, that is.

4 Likes

pretty sure you can as long as it Meets the BATF requirements, you fill out the proper paper work and pay,

6 Likes

I kinda meant Can you build your own as long as it’s for your own use and not have to go through all the BS and payment/registration. Sounds like a no.

5 Likes

You have to remember where you live.
You have to pay to play

8 Likes

:roll_eyes: you’re right. Stupid laws :face_with_raised_eyebrow:. :goes away and folds arms to pout:

7 Likes

and here is your Northern Cousins thought on the matter back in 2011

get comfortable it is a long read

3 Likes

I never thought of them as mufflers, but that’s genius. Funny how we gun owners would love to muffle the ear-shattering crack of a firearm to better protect our hearing, but many car and truck enthusiasts want to “unmuffle” their exhausts and make them louder.

7 Likes

In CA possession of a silencer or suppressor is a felony. You would start by making a silencer and when caught you would end by making license plates.

6 Likes

Absolutely not. Do not attempt this. I’m not trying to scare anyone, but as of 2-19-19 with out the proper paperwork, FFL, SOT, and XYZ it is a federal felony to make any instrument, or a part of an instrument that reduces the report of a firearm.

5 Likes

Even owning replacement rubber wipes for the end on certain suppression devices without a tax stamp would be a felony.

3 Likes

You guys seem concerned that I might try that, lol. I did say ‘if you were talented enough’. I’m not. Not even close. But if I was, I wouldn’t- yet.

3 Likes

You may be a silencer making genius, but you wont know until you tried. But trying would be bad.

3 Likes

Yes on having replacement wipes! People just do not get that! I can replace them for customers, but they cannot!!!

2 Likes

We need more support for the hearing protection act.

6 Likes

I agree completely. I made the mistake once of shooting without ear pro a .30-06 inside a wood-framed blind while hog hunting. Took awhile for the ringing in my left ear to subside. I understand hearing damage is permanent, too. But I don’t understand the reluctance to help protect people’s hearing with a suppressor without having to go through the tax stamp fee, paper work and wait time.

5 Likes

What?
Huh?
Did someone say something?
:wink::grin:

6 Likes