First build to start soon

Well I spent my stimulus money on an L-10 80% and other parts for my first build. Most of the tools and jigs where from Santa Claus.

16 Likes

This looks like a 1911 build

10 Likes

A double stack. I’m building it for USPSA Limited Division.

11 Likes

That’s a whole diffrent monster
I’m available if you have questions

9 Likes

Gage blocks, check
Gage pins, check
Stones, check
Rail cutter, check
Fat wrench, and screwdriver kit, check
Measuring tools, check.

Well from what I can see your not fooling around!

10 Likes

Please share Santa’s number.

11 Likes

Much envy :sunglasses:

8 Likes

I appreciate all ya’lls replys. Currently i am waiting for a depth micrometer. I took measurements for my deck height using a .201 guage pin through the slide stop, and a guage block on the deck. Then using a standard micrometer i got a deck height of .4435. I want top use a depth mic to double check before i go further.

10 Likes

Although they are expensive, good quality, accurate, measuring devices are critical if you want to hit the tight tolerances of a custom-quality gun.I use gage pins, caliper, micrometer, and depth gage frequently.

If you are milling, a few more are pretty important: height gage, disc micrometer.

9 Likes

Don’t have a mill. I do have a lathe but I’m afraid to use it for gun work.

8 Likes

C’mon, no Glock on a lathe for you?

8 Likes

Feel free to put your glock on it if you wish. I really don’t know how to use it. A friend gave it to me. After moving it, I know why it was free. Not many would be willing to take such a large and extremely heavy machine that needed some minor restoration. That thing was built before plastic. 1942

8 Likes

I have a 1954 Montgomery Ward chest freezer in my basement, which still works great btw. I wondered why the previous homeowners left it for me…until I tried to move it. LOL!

8 Likes

A heavy lathe should be very good to have if you have the space. I am sure once you get to know it you will grow to appreciate it.

7 Likes

Yeah I’ve been thinking of taking a class at the local tech college to learn top user it.

6 Likes

Depth micrometer arrived. L-10 stainless steel grip gets in tomorrow. If the deck height matches my measurement I took with guage blocks and pins, I will need shims for the matrix rail cutter. I talked to matrix they said they would send some if i need them but they didn’t think L 10 frames needed them anymore. I think i do.

5 Likes

I remember a while ago when Dave (Matrix Precision) and I were talking shims for L10 frames we came up with a .003 and .005 combo that should solve most deck height issues. Because some frames were up to .008" lower than 1911 spec.

Around the same time I remember L10 saying that have lower decks on purpose. So I wonder what changed and why their decks would now be more to spec.

3 Likes

I don’t believe they are but I’ll be checking later tonight.

4 Likes

So i just mic’ed the deck. I got .446. The mic reads .3455. I have a .201 guage pin in the slide stop. For a total of .446. I glad i got the depth mic i didn’t get that measurement with a regular mic. Yes i checked calibration of the mic with guage blocks if anyone is wondering.

5 Likes

I read somewhere .455 is the ideal deck height for the matrix rail cutter. Is this correct? @Mosinvirus @Giantspeed

5 Likes