First build to start soon

Well I spent my stimulus money on an L-10 80% and other parts for my first build. Most of the tools and jigs where from Santa Claus.

20 Likes

This looks like a 1911 build

11 Likes

A double stack. I’m building it for USPSA Limited Division.

13 Likes

That’s a whole diffrent monster
I’m available if you have questions

11 Likes

Gage blocks, check
Gage pins, check
Stones, check
Rail cutter, check
Fat wrench, and screwdriver kit, check
Measuring tools, check.

Well from what I can see your not fooling around!

13 Likes

Please share Santa’s number.

14 Likes

Much envy :sunglasses:

11 Likes

I appreciate all ya’lls replys. Currently i am waiting for a depth micrometer. I took measurements for my deck height using a .201 guage pin through the slide stop, and a guage block on the deck. Then using a standard micrometer i got a deck height of .4435. I want top use a depth mic to double check before i go further.

12 Likes

Although they are expensive, good quality, accurate, measuring devices are critical if you want to hit the tight tolerances of a custom-quality gun.I use gage pins, caliper, micrometer, and depth gage frequently.

If you are milling, a few more are pretty important: height gage, disc micrometer.

11 Likes

Don’t have a mill. I do have a lathe but I’m afraid to use it for gun work.

10 Likes

C’mon, no Glock on a lathe for you?

11 Likes

Feel free to put your glock on it if you wish. I really don’t know how to use it. A friend gave it to me. After moving it, I know why it was free. Not many would be willing to take such a large and extremely heavy machine that needed some minor restoration. That thing was built before plastic. 1942

10 Likes

I have a 1954 Montgomery Ward chest freezer in my basement, which still works great btw. I wondered why the previous homeowners left it for me…until I tried to move it. LOL!

10 Likes

A heavy lathe should be very good to have if you have the space. I am sure once you get to know it you will grow to appreciate it.

9 Likes

Yeah I’ve been thinking of taking a class at the local tech college to learn top user it.

8 Likes

Depth micrometer arrived. L-10 stainless steel grip gets in tomorrow. If the deck height matches my measurement I took with guage blocks and pins, I will need shims for the matrix rail cutter. I talked to matrix they said they would send some if i need them but they didn’t think L 10 frames needed them anymore. I think i do.

7 Likes

I remember a while ago when Dave (Matrix Precision) and I were talking shims for L10 frames we came up with a .003 and .005 combo that should solve most deck height issues. Because some frames were up to .008" lower than 1911 spec.

Around the same time I remember L10 saying that have lower decks on purpose. So I wonder what changed and why their decks would now be more to spec.

5 Likes

I don’t believe they are but I’ll be checking later tonight.

6 Likes

So i just mic’ed the deck. I got .446. The mic reads .3455. I have a .201 guage pin in the slide stop. For a total of .446. I glad i got the depth mic i didn’t get that measurement with a regular mic. Yes i checked calibration of the mic with guage blocks if anyone is wondering.

7 Likes

I read somewhere .455 is the ideal deck height for the matrix rail cutter. Is this correct? @Mosinvirus @Giantspeed

7 Likes