First Knife Build!!!

Made my first knife today. Got a cheap Kabar-type knife from harbor freight a while back and used the grip and stuff from it, and used the full tang blade as a template. I used 11gauge 2"x12" mild steel plate and made a quick homemade forge to temper it. Going to try to make a Coffee can forge this weekend with cat litter. im actually delighted how it turned out. and sorry, I forgot to take pics of the blade before I blued it.

18 Likes

Very cool!!

13 Likes

11 Likes

Damn that’s sexy

10 Likes

Thanks guys! Yea @Robert, it’s all downhill from here hahahahaha

10 Likes

Nice! You could be on that TV show. :wink:

9 Likes

That’s a nice looking knife. So question for ya: What’s the difference between mild steel and high carbon? I thought that knives had to be high carbon so the edge could hardened. I know nothing about it though. Just what I’ve been told by knife salesmen and watching Forged in Fire.

12 Likes

@EQuinn honestly I have no clue lol. I just wanted to get the basics down the first time and go through the motions. I have a buddy that gets me any type of metal from his job and he had previously given me this piece of steel and another identical piece of stainless. He told me that if I temper it right, the mild steel would be stronger than the stainless. I’m going to do more research before I do my next one, just had to get the initial tryout out of the way lmao

9 Likes

Well that’s a damn nice looking tryout. Nice job.

8 Likes

By no means am I an expert but from what I understand you can make a knife out of any kind of metal. High carbon when it is hardened and tempered right is going to allow for you to keep an edge longer without having to sharpen or reshape the edge. With mild steal you can sharpen it but its going to be more prone to fold over, glint, etc. That is the reason for the high carbon steel. Also though in forging you have to balance even the hardness level though because if your grain structure gets too large it will become brittle and then it is prone to chipping, breaking etc. That is why you temper the steel after you harden it. Thats usually something that gets skipped on forge in fire as they have other people come in and temper the knives. Which i also know makes some of the smiths angry because they want to do it themselves.

6 Likes