First suppressor debate

I really like the Dead Air… LOVE my AAC TiRant 9mm can. I have not had trigger time behind the other one. I take everything that Suppressed Nation posts like reading :books:… they are fair, unbiased, and not brand driven. They have the range time and toots to give really great information.
That being said… I am dealing with a LOT of hearing loss.
Something that I know for a fact is that some suppressors my have a low number on what is suppressed, but the tone is off so they “sound” loud. Really notice this with rifle cans more than pistol cans.
I realize you want a can for max :shushing_face: on your pistol. But I can tell you… once you go suppressed… you are hooked. :grin::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

I haven’t committed yet but I’m afraid I eventually will. After some research I realized the $200 is no where near what will eventually be invested but the idea of happy neighbors very much appeals to me.

7 Likes

Wipes… There is no hard and fast rule about how long they last, but generally the performance starts to drop after 30ish rounds but they can be left in for much longer. But also, sometimes the rubber goes wonky sooner. There are 3 ways to replace it. One is to make your own. One needs a hyd’ press and a punch of the right diameter. Another way is to send or bring it to the manufacturer, the entire can, they will replace the wipe and send it back to you. Or if a manufacturer is close by convince him to keep wipes on hand and bring it to them. But the owner, unless the owner is also a manufacturer, can only have one wipe on hand.

With the Ghost-M 45 it can also be run without the wipe installed, to save it. The wipe doesn’t need to be in the can all the time, just as long as only one wipe is in possession. Wipes are suppressor parts and as far as I know somehow ATF convinced a judge that part of a suppressor is an entire suppressor. I have an ATV I’m selling. I’d love to sell it to them piece by piece. It’s worth a fortune with that sort of thinking.

9 Likes

Simple hammer and punch will produce a wipe in 2-3 blows. I’ve never used a hydraulic press. The materials we use ,which has been 3 types all what each manufacturer recommended, start to lose performance 5-10 shots in. Now ive gone out to 80 with my Gemtech Aurora but the best sound reduction is usually within the first 5. Even at 80 it was still way more pleasant than without a can on.

6 Likes

I have been looking at OSS supressors. They push gas forward keeping the best hearing safe conditions at the shooters ear. Yes they may be a bit louder at the.muzzle but I would prefer to conserve my hearing first. They only have rimfire and rifle at the moment so no supressors for handguns.

I dont think port pop is much of a concern with handguns as they are held farther away from users ear.

Then I would be.more concerned with db levels at muzzle. In that case i would.look for the best suppression, , reliability, ease if cleaning, weight and company support.
As my deciding factors.

7 Likes

We have 3 of the OSS cans here now to meter. Can’t wait to get to the range and see if the flow thru tech brings “hearing safe” numbers at the ear as they claim. The k can from our last shoot certainly did not.

6 Likes

I talked with an OSS suppressor dealer in Bozeman MT… said they were heavy, loud, and definitely not worth the money. So I will be interested in knowing what Suppressed Nation comes up with on OSS news cans.

6 Likes

Check out “NFA” and Military arms reviews. Yeah I know military arms is probably selling them but NFA has no dog in the hunt
They are louder down range because they funnel gas put front. This way they have little to no gas going back to port. So yeah they are louder down range. But I am more interested in preserving my hearing than being almost silent down range.

Anyway I am like you waiting for supressed nation to post results.
Excited like waiting for Christmas morning! Lol.

6 Likes

Looking forward to getting my .300BO pistol set up so that I can hear what the Amtak CQB-M sounds like. I expect it to save the ears from the blast (as in the CQB), I just wonder how much “quieter” than that it is.

6 Likes