Fitness for shooting

Kick-boxing yes, and vice versa

3 Likes

Interesting! That would not have been one of the first things that came to my mind but makes sense with how dynamic of a workout it is. How often do you kickbox?

1 Like

Yup!

9 Likes

A man after my own heart.

Feeding the fire with split wood (we can do heat and domestic hot water with wood) and shooting hunting weight recurves is my plan. I can get 20 yards in my basement “range” so I shoot almost every day.

That, and eating sensibly and keeping my weight down.

9 Likes

I like swimming, helps with lung capacity. Great for breathing control when tired or timing breaths with shots. I have strong lungs and being able to control my breathing really helps on physically demanding shooting stages designed to test your skills under stress.

I’ve also been experimenting with the high intensity short duration workouts. 30 seconds on full tilt, 30 second rest, repeat until done. It’s interesting how fast I can (mostly) regain control of my breathing.

6 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: @brianpurkiss HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Did I

3x a week

Stopped last Dec to save the $$, we’ve put 95% of any money we could on our house to get ready for the next economy crash.

Was excellent for reflex and delivering blows on target, highly recommended

however splitting firewood is more wholesome and I’d like to come lend a hand @Stumpkiller @Wildlife

2 Likes

Cardio cardio cardio.
Ocean swimming is my favorite #2 is running the boardwalk.

With all the ladies who give a damn.
Talk about motivation.:wink:

3 Likes

Look, I’m no young wiper snapper any more these days. I’m 52 years old and still lean & mean, somewhere around 165lbs. My body index for my height says its’ supposed to be 150lbs. I haven’t weighed that since my military days.

You see, I grew up on the North Shore of Oneida Lake, Bernhards Bay, NY. Snowbelt Country. I ate nothing but organic foods, garden veges, farm animals & wildlife. I’ve always been very physically active. Back then, between my daily choirs, tons of wood work, sports, hunting, fishing, swimming, etc, etc, never was I out of shape or over weight.

As an adult and after my military days, I worked for corporate America for almost two decades. During that time, raising a family of my own, I started to gain a little bit of weight, not much, roughly 15 pounds of fat. I had to lift weights and run to burn off that fat, which I didn’t mind too much, however it did bother me that I had to do that type of exercise to maintain my shape and strength.

After I left corporate America, I started my own two businesses. One as a technical consultant and years after, a lawncare/tree service business. Both demanded more much more physical work out of me, which I totally appreciated.

If you really want a workout and build some real strength, increase flexibility and endurance, I can’t think of a better way that will get you there quickly than cutting, splitting and stacking wood. I’ve done this kind of work most of my life as a necessity. I used to have a hydraulic wood splitter when I had my lawncare/tree service business, but I sold it with that business about 4 years ago and haven’t replaced it purposely.

I hand spilt my wood with an 8lbs maul axe now. While swinging away with that tool, in my mind, I go right back to the days when I was a kid doing it. That process alone will build some serious upper body strength, both through the shoulders and chest area.

So, August is the time when I start cutting down/up trees and stack them up under the car port of the barn.

During the late fall and throughout the entire winter, I have the excuse of getting outdoors and get my exercise in by splitting up cut wood for our woodstoves. One stove in the home and the other in my work shop. They burn 24/7 until winter is over with.

From my experience, there’s nothing more that will generate more sweat quickly then cutting down/up trees with an approximately 25lb. chainsaw. You will lose more pounds after a day doing that type of work than any other. That’s the bonus of having to heat your place with wood.

@Robert - you’re more than welcome to join me anytime. I have tons of tree work this time of year for ya!

3 Likes

Don’t rule out seeing me, along with wood cutting I have some gypsy blood, we pick up and move states for something to do it seems

I have a maul in my garage like this

in anticipation for using it someday

5 Likes

I’ll contrast everyone and say that you can’t go wrong with the big 3 (squat/bench/dead) with accessory work. As one of my buddies tells me, being a 6’3" 230lb meathead really helps to soak up recoil and to grip the crap out of your firearm. Cardio is still incredibly important though, and I prefer running or rowing, usually 5-6 miles (10k-12k meter rowing) a week. @Robert made a good point though, fighting is great cardio and also good for personal defense. When I was in high school, my summer job was odd-job woods work, and I’ve cut and stacked plenty of seasons of firewood doing so.

3 Likes

Thank you all for sharing!

I definitely miss the hard work of the farm, baling hay and training horses mostly. It is a different kind of fitness from the gym. However, I do love a good leg workout and spend most of my weekday mornings dedicating some time to the gym before heading to a desk job.

I’ve recently taken up inline skating as a form of cardio and because a friend asked to do a marathon with her. It’s nostalgic and fun but also great for balance and leg strength (We live in a valley so plenty of hills!).

I’ve grown in curiosity towards fighting as a form of working out. I may have to check out the local MMA gyms and report back.

3 Likes

Diet is just as important too. I know not many people will listen, but I cut alcohol out of mine last year and I’ve never felt better. My tinnitus has even decreased.

1 Like

I agree its good not to drink as I haven’t since July, however I seem to need reminding and usually that requires drinking :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I’m not good at holding my liquor. I stay away now.

1 Like

Daily archery practice should help keep ya’ in good shape.
But I see a lot of archers with big bellies.
Diet is probably more important for keeping the weight reasonable.
Retirement isn’t much help, though, too much time on the couch.
Gym time and diet is the way to keep from turning into an old fat guy.
Guess It’s time to get off the couch and head for the weight room.
Wish there was a way to hire someone else to do it.

5 Likes

What style of kickboxing? Its pretty easy to tell based on ruleset( are you allowed to do leg kicks?)

Kumite

1 Like

Karate?

I thought you were a master of Wack Foo , Robert?

1 Like