Fitness

Where does everyone stand in regard to being fit and capable?

10 Likes

I’m in great shape and proud of it, I use kickboxing and 3 gym trips a week as well as ruck marches every other weekend to stay in line, the biggest problem is i’m aging out.

8 Likes

In need of getting back into it, went on a year long (or more) whisky binge, much easier/faster to get out of shape :expressionless:

11 Likes

Basic cardio and calisthenics 3x a week. Would love to get back into grappling but my work schedule and covid are preventing that. Its pretty important though. Full contact fighting (boxing , kickboxing, muay thai, BJJ, Judo, wrestling, etc) is a great way to gauge yourself in terms of conditioning.

Grappling is less damaging to your body and better for people with past injuries, not to mention it opens up your ability to physically control a situation without causing severe amounts of damage.

I generally dont do barbell style lifts but kettlebells or dumbbells on occasion.

12 Likes

I hike every now and then and take a heavy pack with me for extra weight training. Nothing regular for a while though. I used to do martial arts, and I want to get into that again.

12 Likes

I climb stairs at work daily carrying 60 pounds of tools. I ain’t going jogging after a day of work. I’m a semi not a sprint car

12 Likes

We run distance and or swim.

Said it before:

Zombies can’t swim either. :wink:

12 Likes

After a very mild heart attack and a triple bypass and the associated crap that goes with that I’m working on getting back into shape. At my age I’ll never be the warrior I was 48 years ago, but I’m doing what I can. I go to phase3 cardiac rehab 2x a week and push myself when there. Phase 3 CR is a gym workout under medical supervision at a hospital. :smiley: One of the nurses in attendance told me that she wishes I’d take it easier. That’s not going to happen. “Coming back” is slow. :smiley: one of the machines is computer programmed with a workout regimen when ones parameters are entered into it. I lie about my age (younger) and weight (heavier) to get more of a workout than it would normally give me. But I’m making steady if slow progress.

But on a positive note I shoot competitively and while I thought I was pretty good before competition (who doesn’t right?) I’m MUCH better now. Just as accurate as I ever was, but much faster with all shots. Not too bad for an old curmudgeon. Really fast as long as I don’t need to run, I walk on the clock. Maybe I can start to run during a course of fire now.

Age has a tendency to make us lose muscle mass and again, working on that. But I’ve also realized that short, light firearms are my friends. So in line with that, lots of the long guns have gone down the road and bullpups, handguns, and SBRs have taken their place. They’re firearms that I can handle better and hopefully keep me shooting for another decade or so.

14 Likes

Right there with you on the age, found out yesterday I have to go in for surgery for what the DR called severe nerve damage in my right hand and moderate nerve damage in the right arm, here I thought I was just getting old and dropping things was normal. Of course in type Maine fashion if I was lucky they will get me in by late spring. I still do some upper body work out, and have been hitting the treadmill a bit this winter. Robert, You will be amazed at what cutting the whiskey back will do. I was pretty bad and have not even opened the bottle my wife got me for Christms.

12 Likes

Oh yeah, already lost a lot of weight, it tapered off and I’m trying now to work on dropping sugar and after a scare with dehydration recently upping my water

Do a little X skying, very little, but some, not trying to rush anything

12 Likes

Working my way back since surgery put a halt to everything 7 monthes ago. Up to 45 min a session on the elliptical & got about 85-90% of my strength & ability back for the rest of my exercise routines. Recovery is a bit slower than back in my 20’s . I’ve been rapidly advancing the past 3 monthes, should be back to where I was before the injuries in a month or so. (Till Father Time slaps me upside the head again)

11 Likes

Dropping some weight aiming for 200 lbs. Go the the gym with my son a couple times a week and light treadmill at home. Can hold my own with most my age unless they have martial arts but a strong 25 yr old could probably kick my butt. Forces me to be smarter . These soft 20 somethings wouldn’t be a problem.

12 Likes

You guys are doing good stuff.
RESPECT.

11 Likes

I’ve been watching reruns of Richard Simmons.

Does that count?

9 Likes

It’s the thought that counts. At least according to mom…

9 Likes

Oh it’s not about the thought. It’s about the puking :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting: that results.

I can lose 6 or 8 pounds in no time this way.

9 Likes

Does @EQuinn know about this? Maybe talk with her.

9 Likes

The trick is to not let yourself get out of shape . I am only twenty pounds heavyer in the last 40 years and I can lift more now than I could in my twenty . I guess setting 400 to 900 lb dies every day helps.

10 Likes

I have digestive issues, which keeps me from overeating and getting fat. At 6’ and 160-170 lbs, I look like a bean pole. Some might even think I do a lot of cardio, but I don’t. I’m just a sickly, bony flabbed middle-aged guy.

35 years ago I was 20-25 lbs heavier and in much better shape. I could do 5Ks, swim a mile and lift heavy weights. Now, I only have time to do pushups, make-shift pullups from tree limbs, body weight squats and those kinds of exercises. I just wish I had more time and wouldn’t get sick so much (digestive ailments) so I could do more.

With that said, two years ago I discovered my favorite sport - run n gun 10K biathlons! I hate running for distance. I just find it extremely boring. But training for my first Run n Gun was actually fun because I knew there’d be shooting involved. Combine that with figuring out how to carry all the ammo, rifle, holstered pistol, water, etc., all while climbing or crawling through obstacles, just made it that more fun and challenging. I finished it, but I did terrible, bottom 10 out of 100 - slow jogging and bad shooting - but despite the humbling experience it was still fun. Kids and work schedule keep me from doing more of these events. But I find it to be a great way to combine exercise and shooting.

There’s another new shooting sport called “Tactical Games,” or something like that. I haven’t tried it yet, but it sounds a bit more intense. I heard one of the stages requires you to first carry in each hand over 100 lbs of uneven weight for a certain distance before shooting the stage. It sounds like it’s geared more towards the Cross-fit or maybe Strongman type competitions, but I could be wrong about that. If I were younger and had the time to properly train for something like that, I’d love to try it.

But all in all, I think staying healthy and in shape is an important, worthy goal for those of us who like the shooting sports.

13 Likes

“Not that there’s anything wrong with that”

:roll_eyes:

10 Likes