For You Cheap Bastards...

6 Likes

why pay more for something you use so freely…lol…

4 Likes

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/10/russian-big-game-ammunition-now-available-barnaul-30-06-308-win/#axzz62iyNQ0IE

I love me some Barnaul ammo in the flavor of: Golden, Silver and Brown Bear. It’s my go-to ammo for most.

4 Likes

I have no problem with the cheaper, steel cased ammo, especially if you shoot a lot. I personally shoot the Monarch steel cased ammo from Academy, which I have found out, is actually rebranded Brown Bear. The Monarch shoots cleaner and seems to be more hotter than Tulammo, which I use to shoot, also more accurate.

6 Likes

Niether do i, out of certain guns. Still haven’t put steel through ANY of my precision rifles though.

7 Likes

^ 100% all of this. Brown and Silver Bear 203gr 7.62x54r is plenty hot. My Mosins seem to prefer them. My range won’t allow rifle FMJs so my Monarchs are just sittin there doin nothin

4 Likes

I tend to like Brown bear for practice when I am not rolling my own. :ammo:But most of the time I am shooting at a 100 yard range. So I make up quite a few reduced loads when the weather is bad, or I get a few spare hrs.
Use 150 grain lead spitzers that I cast from range lead, I dug out of the bank, flux and added a little pewter to.Size them at .309, load them in some range find brass with15 grain of Trail Boss. Makes me a nice 1450fps plinking load for the 30-06. Very low recoil and pretty accurate.If you shoot a lot and you enjoy tinkering, reloading is a fun and inexpensive way to go for the larger calibers. Costs me about 9 to 12 cents each.
Of course I loose any money I save by shooting more.

7 Likes

BUT…

You’re living the dream bro :grin::grin:

7 Likes

Occasionally, I will run steel handgun ammo when I find it on sale super cheap. I also run steel through my AK and SKS rifles, but nothing else. Ammo has been cheap and plentiful during the last two years, so I’ve been buying domestic brass for only a few pennies more than imported steel…for 5.56 anyway. I haven’t purchased other rifle calibers in a while, so I’m not current on prices right now.

6 Likes

The main problem with steel ammo before was stuck cases with anything semi auto.
Used to have am M1 and a K31, when younger and they were like a hundred bucks, and in crates at every hardware store and gun show. Man O am old :grampa:
Ran steal in them all the time cause back in my hay day Wolf just came out and drove the older surplus canned ammo prices in the ground.
OK I am rambling.
To get to the point here. The laquer on the cases never seamed to bother the bolt actions that much, but sometimes it would melt off the case and get in the chamber, then you would end up with a stuck case. Especially in the semi auto’s. Of course since they were considered cheap throw away guns back then you would just dig the steel out with your knife :scream_cat: then hose the chamber on the M1 down with brake cleaner, and keep shooting.
Any how. Rambling again.:grin:
I believe Barnaul has brought the steel case budget round into this century by eliminating the lacquer process and adding newer, advanced coatings to the cases. Cutting down on chamber wear and virtually eliminating the stuck case problem. Making Cheep steel ammo a viable option for your weapon.

8 Likes
10 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes

Now you really are ramblin on

6 Likes