fordom bit tools for 1911 build

Hi. I am a new user and I am doing my 1st 1911 build. I needed some advice on what bits to buy that would be most useful for my 1911 build. I figure I need some cratex polishing grinding bits, but would also might need carbide burrs , and or sanding drums etc. There are so many options for kits of bits from amazon just wanted to see what people found most useful and what brands they liked etc. Appreciate the help . PC

9 Likes

Welcome @pc1911
Great to have you here at Full 30! There’s a few fellows here that may be able to help with your questions.
@Mosinvirus
@Giantspeed

3 Likes

Hey I appreciate it. I am a big fan of mosinvirus. His videos inspired me to do my 1st trigger job, beavertail grip safety, and thumb safety work on my Colt government model which lead me to now doing my 1st build.

7 Likes

Welcome

I used @Mosinvirus videos for my first 1911 build as well

6 Likes

Welcome to Full30. Since we haven’t seen you around before, would you mind going over to the introduction section and post a little about yourself? We’d like to get to know you better.

4 Likes

Great to have you here. After the aforementioned intro, show us your stuff in the smithing section.

Always love to see 1911 build pics.

As for the bits, I am not a huge fan of rotary tools since they can get you in a lot of trouble really quick, but cratex and drums are good to have if you can maintain control over the tool.

7 Likes

You came to the right place…welcome and enjoy!!

5 Likes

Would love to see some of the work you have done
While mosin is correct you have to have a very steady hand with a rotary tooll
I don’t use one that much building a 1911 maybe just blending a beaver tail to a frame
I use sanding drums for that but slow and easy
Files and sand paper and good old fashioned elbow grease work much better
Welcome to the forum
Show us some of your work

5 Likes

Will do. I have to get the pics transferred to the computer 1st. I am waiting on a few last tools before the slide to frame fit. Right now just have pics of the frame and slide from Caspian. Briefly, it will be a commander build. I got a Caspian race ready recon frame and slide. I will use mainly Wilson combat parts. I have a Scheumann ultimatch barrel in 45 acp. Thanks PC

5 Likes

Excellent. Can’t wait to see progress.

3 Likes

As requested. After fighting with my iphone I finally prevailed with some photos.

So here are the stainless slide and frame from Caspian. As you will notice off the bat there is a custom logo on the slide. My wife is a graphic designer and I had the idea that I wanted to personalize the gun. So I took my initials ie PC and came up with the idea of Personal Combat and then she by herself came up with the logo using the 1911 frame to form the letters PC in the graphic. I then contacted Amy Foster of Caspian (the VP, who does the set up for the custom logos) mailed her the pdf file. I also had the PC part of the graphic place on the port side of the slide. I think it looks great. I wasn’t planning to do it at first but with my wife’s encouragement I went ahead and I am pleased with the result. I just hope I can do it justice. Also wanted to ask @Mosinvirus what hand files you use the most and think are the most important ? half round parallel round etc? what cut do you prefer 0 vs 00 vs 2 vs bastard cut, etc . Thanks for all the help. PC

8 Likes

thing of beauty :+1:

5 Likes

That’s a good looking slide!

4 Likes

Very nice. Logo looks great. Kudos to your wife.
Nothing like an ambitious first time builder. Something that I think is highly under appreciated around here. Go big or go home.
Can’t wait to see it when its all together.

5 Likes

Thanks so much. I am looking forward to the build process.

PC

3 Likes

That all depends on what needs to be done. For barrel fitting I use the Locking Lug file from Brownells. The file is useful for many other things too.

For everything else I use a cheap Nicholson file set I got on Amazon. Half round bastard file works really well for blending for me, both top and bottom of beavertail grip safety to frame and slide to frame.

I generally dont go through coarse, medium and fine graduations, but do have some pillar files in those. Usually I will use whatever file I feel “fits” what needs to be done and then refine the surface with sandpaper backed by that same file. With sandpaper I obviously go through grits from coarse to fine 220 - 400 usually, sometimes going up to 600.

That frame looks pretty good. Like the logo on the slide!!!

6 Likes

Very sweet build!

4 Likes

Thanks so much for the comments. I appreciate the help. The last of the tools I need before the slide to frame fit will be here tomorrow. I can’t wait! LOL!

4 Likes

What are you waiting on tool wise ?

3 Likes

I had ordered an Everglades ammo 1911 rail stoning/sanding tool with a set of stones. I used it yesterday and it is working well. I have the sides of the frame just about where they need to be but I will now be taking some off the top of the rails and bottom of slide. I’ll be using a large stone to do that which should be here soon.

4 Likes