Found a VEPR I might get

Specs for .243, but with a 22” barrel.

3 Likes

6.5 Grendel (.27 a round),
https://www.sgammo.com/product/65-grendel-ammo/1000-rounds-65-grendel-100-grain-fmj-lacquered-steel-case-wpa-wolf-ammo
To a $1.00 a round.
https://www.sgammo.com/product/hornady-ammo-sale/20-round-box-65-grendel-123-grain-sst-hornady-custom-ammo-8152
.243 is .65 per round,
https://www.sgammo.com/product/243-ammo/20-round-box-243-win-100-grain-soft-point-ammo-sellier-bellot-sb243a
To $1.25 per round.
https://www.sgammo.com/product/243-ammo/20-round-box-243-win-95-grain-winchester-ballistic-silvertip-ammo-sbst243a

2 Likes

Thanks man! Where are you getting these spreadsheets? I’d love to check them out.

2 Likes

They are out on the net Brother! Always do your own research, but you already knew that

1 Like

I suck at googling. But I’ll give it another shot! Pun intended. Those just looked like your spreadsheets is why I asked. :+1:

1 Like

Seriously thank you for the complement!
I’m not much for computers, I’m more of a hammer and pry bar person to be honest.

1 Like

Anytime. I suppose I’m wired the opposite but not by choice. I’m in spreadsheet hell today at work…

1 Like

I’m still undecided on caliber and since I don’t hunt it probably is a moot point. Perhaps I should decide and focus on barrel length instead? Got about a 10 days left to decide. Haha.

I will ask those that do hunt would a 6.5 Grendel and or .243 have enough energy versus four legged creatures Elk size and smaller in a defensive situation out of either a 16.5" or 20.5" barrel? Obviously not for bears or moose me thinks. I’m sure those who have taken game could share some real world experience.

1 Like

Never mind on that previous post. The appraisal rebuttal was denied so no extra money. I now have to choose between the VEPR and PS90 because I get only one. I feel scatterbrained.

PS90

1 Like

I’m leaning that way because as great as those VEPRs are they aren’t the 7.62x54r that I REALLY want. The PS90 is practical.

2 Likes

@Chuparosa, FN :+1:

1 Like

Definitely 90/10 going that way. Hence my SBR inquiry about it here. Plus it like the VEPR will increase in value.

I feel bad that this topic is now a moot point. :frowning:

1 Like

Ive never handled a ps90, I didnt even know what it was untail a second ago but The Vepr looks better, imo. Not to mention the vepr has a thick milled (rpk?) receiver and did I mention it looks better? The ps90 is confusing to look at, kind of like a transgender. Anyways, post pics when you get t.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I own both and I would vote for the VEPR in 6.5 Grendel.

1 Like

Can you break it down why you would make that choice? The PS90 would work better for home defense me thinks.

1 Like

I can give you my opinion. In the end the firearm that you are the most proficient with will/should be your go to in a bad situation.
The ps90 is very cool! Don’t get me wrong I owned one of those long before I ever bought an AK47. 50 rounds in a magazine, bullpup configuration! It’s hard to argue to buy something else, but the ammo is spendy. And so are magazines.
The trigger/ hammer and body is plastic. They don’t suffer much breakage but would you trust it in a camping situation in 20-degrees f ? Maybe, maybe not. The safety is not as fast as an AK, but practice will help.
The AK47 is wood and metal. At least the VEPR model your looking at is. They suffer far less breakage and being that the VEPR is a RPK recever, barrel and front trunnion it is very heavy duty. 6.5 Grendel is cheap. You will be able to shoot more, and stay on a budget. Magazine are most likely expensive.
In the last 5 years the FN PS90 has gotten cheaper at least here and the VEPR has gained value even before the ban took place.
Unfortunately you will ultimately have to choose, and for that I don’t envy you.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. I definitely see those points. I know in 10-20 years the VEPR is likely going to be worth more. I’m definitely going to get both at some point, but the VEPR I really want is the 7.62x54r so it’s like always wanting a classic Mustang and then getting one in a 6cyl automatic.

I wish someone local had them so I could try them out. No range around here has them to rent.

I know either way I’ll be happy.

1 Like

Now that’s the mark of a true gun enthusiast!

1 Like