Full30 Knife Thread

Very cool, love it.

3 Likes

Have you tried using a soldering iron to inscribe markings? Are used north runes to scribe out stuff, using Welsh and Gaelic.

2 Likes

Cool! :+1:

4 Likes

Very cool combination :+1:

4 Likes

Dang it! I want one!

4 Likes

@SAK…that thing is sweet…you got a link to where one can be found?

6 Likes

That’s pretty cool! I like it.

5 Likes

That’s a good idea. I haven’t tried that yet, but I’ve seen youtube videos on it. Another option I saw is to lightly carve out your design on the handle, then rub charcoal on it after staining the wood to darken and provide contrast to the carvings. I might try practicing that with a spare handle.

6 Likes

Or, burn the wood with a micro torch and hand polish it back out. Hardened the wood to boot.

6 Likes

Didn’t realize that hardens the wood. Good tip!

5 Likes

Yep, a lost art from when we lived in caves. If I ever want a different look, i will wrap kerosene soaked cord around wood and light it on fire.

4 Likes

Had this one made a few years ago. Sava is a master smith from the knife makers guild. He is from Yugoslavia. Blade is made from ball bearing steel hand forged. Micarta scales. Kydex sheath

12 Likes

My contribution.
These are knives I use hunting or otherwise.
Had them for decades and use them as is apparent by the wear.
(My photo skills are not so great so I apologize for that)

Top to Bottom
Puma White Hunter (Main hunting knife and awesome what you can use this for)
Buck General (Another awesome knife I use for general purposes as well as skinning)
Gerber MK II (Tactical knife I perfer it over the Mark I for length and serrated edge)

11 Likes

How about some knives on Steroids?
(And yes that is a Quarter)

11 Likes

Very handsome knives!

Puma: 1.4116 Stainless. Tough and very corrosion resistant. Does not hold an edge well, but easy to sharpen. Buck and Gerber: 420HC. Again, tough and very corrosion resistant. Again, does not hold and edge well, but easy to sharpen.

The White Hunter alone is $375 on Amazon, which is absurd. For $200, you might consider a Spyderco Sustain in CPM 20CV and spend a LOT (and I mean a LOT) less time sharpening knives.

5 Likes

They have all done me well in my lifetime.
I will hold on to them.
Good info to know the alloys.
The Puma; I have never had a problem with it holding an edge.
But I do care for them.
The Gerber doesn’t need so much of an edge to serve it’s purpose.
If you catch my meaning… LOL

Thanks

4 Likes

I find that fighting knives need to be extremely sharp. It is not easy to penetrate clothing.

6 Likes

DPX Gear HEST/F milspec Niolox Steel, RotoBlock it locks the blade out,
Tungsten carbide glass breaker.

10 Likes

Those are S-W-E-E-T!

4 Likes

I wants me a rapier.

8 Likes