Full30 Knife Thread

@switchpod , are you a knife k maker buy trade? reason I am asking is I would love to have someone make me a knife from a railroad spike with a twited handle grip and a custom sheath. Just need a knife maker as I have a good frind and brother from a different mother that’s a leather smith

3 Likes

Aren’t railroad spikes extremely soft Steel? Or would it be just a novelty knife not to be used?

2 Likes

Fixed blade but always reliable

6 Likes

You piqued my interest with the question about the steel - although I balked at paying $42 for the official US specs! [ASTM A65 - 07(2013)]

I did find this page, though, which discusses the use of reclaimed railroad spikes for various projects, including knives [there are photographs of a few knives embedded towards the bottom of the page]. Amongst other things, it says:

HC on a railroad spike does not necessarily mean high carbon, it may mean highway crossing, and these spikes need to be stronger for this part of the track. The HC means .40% -.45% carbon not the .80% that we would usually call high carbon. The spikes are barely heat treatable and won’t hold an edge very long. With this in mind, be aware of a higher carbon content and work with the material accordingly.

3 Likes

@LonewolfMcQuade…I have no idea if its a soft steel or not…but this has been a fascination of mine and I have looked around but never found anything I just have to have.

3 Likes

Ok. The Burma 1855 is AWESOME PERIOD.

2 Likes

No. I Do however believe that it would be a very fun career! I just screw around in the garage.

4 Likes

Indeed.

And so I ordered 1095 for now, just to get into the groove of things.

Will be making vids of course.
Premium steels to follow.

5 Likes

Check out these knives…

By the way, do we have a section here for knife making?

5 Likes

yes when you start one - but remember there has to be a gun or gun part in the pictures…

2 Likes

Sarcasm or BULLSHIT?

0 Likes

EDC

Backwoods:
(For me nothing Beats the feel, of OLEAN Steel)

My go to Belt Axe
-Carried from Africa to Afghanistan. Olympics to the Adirondacks.

And of course the group shot:

7 Likes

Something a little smaller and covert. The spyderco SC01PS credit card knife.

7 Likes

That’s sweet!

4 Likes

I don’t know if spyderco makes them any more, but you can find them on eBay.

0 Likes

Have been trying to find the CAS Hanwei Buckle Knife for awhile now.image

6 Likes

That’s cool!

1 Like

If you remember this one you are old.lol or knew an old guy that had one. think I got this in the 80’s

7 Likes

@Belt-Fed, great knive one of my all-time favorites👍 if you find the time, toss the grappling hooks in it and show them what it looks like with the Spike’s on it.

2 Likes

OK, i’ll see if I can find it, that’s an old pic. I bet it’s crammed in the back of the safe.

1 Like