Full30 Knife Thread

Woods Chogan T-Hawk.

11 Likes

Lonewolf likes!!!:+1:

9 Likes

Yeah thats badass!

7 Likes

13 Likes

I love the purple band or sageo if you will.

6 Likes

Now that’s nice!:+1:

4 Likes

@SAK

What keeps the metal portion attached to the wood portion?

I had an axe like that years ago and thru some heavy use, the metal portion went flying off. Was never able to use it (safely) again. Hopefully this one is better made than what I had.

4 Likes

Traditionally a bamboo wood plug.
Pushed through the Handel and the tang of the blade.

4 Likes
5 Likes

@SAK

Thanks for the video. Simple, huh?

Still, I would stick with axes that actually have some part there that would help keep it in place.

3 Likes

John like switchpod pointed out you can always insert many different types of wedges to add extra pressure to keep the axe or Hawk head in place, being careful not to split the handle is key.

4 Likes

SAK

Yeah, I know, but I was thinking more about metal parts bolted onto the handle, or similar.

But then again, it may not matter as I don’t use my axes as much as I used to.

3 Likes

I mainly just collect historical knives and edged weapons.

14 Likes

10 Likes

People used axes and hatchets to make a living for centuries without anything more than a wedge to make a tight fit between handle and head. More times than not the wood cracks where a pin runs through it well before a wedge would have come loose.

8 Likes

jtallen83

My current primary axe has its handle made up of polymer/plastic (not sure what, but not wood).

I have had to use it to cut up fair amounts of wood and it did just fine. Modern axe, I suppose. But, it sure does not just use the wedge or similar, to hold the metal head in place. I never worry about it.

4 Likes

I have a tomahawk with a tapered wooden handle. The top of the handle is wider in diameter than the rest. When chopping, the centrifugal force of the swing forces the blade toward the top of the handle. You can always secure it by wrapping paracord, leather or whatever else you want both above and below the blade, but I prefer being able to remove it by pushing down on it when I want. By removing it, I have the option to use the blade with my hands for a bit more control, like wood shaving for example. If the handle breaks, you can make your own from a branch in a pinch using the blade, but I’m not skilled enough yet to make as good of a handle as the original.

6 Likes

I have yet to find a synthetic handle that had the same qualities as wood. Most notably is fatigue or just flat out damage from extended use. Something about wood makes it much easier on the hand and arm. That said a proper wood handle is getting harder and harder to come by these days. For a “survival” situation synthetic may very well be the best option for the reasons you give.

8 Likes

With a little bit of practice you can carve a new one fairly quickly, preferably with any straight grained hardwood

11 Likes

Just be sure the wood is dried properly first…AMHIK

10 Likes