GEAR: Getting your Guerrilla on: Fight Light!

A look at running light kit without a plate carrier / ballistic plates. Utilizing a battle belt with chest rig, adding a suitable backpack as necessary for patrols. It’s certainly a reality that in any kind of collapse or disaster situation, many citizens will not, for many reasons, wear plate carriers. Reasons may include cost, long-term duration of the crisis, temperature and environment, duration of missions, fitness levels, lack of food, general exhaustion.

So let’s take a look at Fite-Light gear for the aspiring American Partisan. Keep low, move fast!

7 Likes

Great video. I have no military or law enforcement experience nor does my work require me to don any of that gear. But last year I ran (more like jogged) my first 10K Run n Gun biathlon. I was required to carry all my ammo, water, pistol and rifle on my person throughout and over and through obstacles before and after each shooting stage. I’d like to do more of these endurance/shooting events. So learning about this kind of gear interests me.

Anyway, one thing I noticed about using a battle belt is that when weighed down with a pistol and a bunch of mags, it would always drop down while jogging, causing my pants to also drop down no matter how tight I’d cinch the battle belt and my pants’ belt. Also, by dropping down, the battle belt kind of dug into my hips, throwing my stride off and causing me to exert more on my hip flexors, which quickly became sore and wore me out.

Others have mentioned using a harness to keep the battle belt from drooping down. Does your chest rig offer some kind of clips that’ll attach to your battle belt to prevent it from drooping down like that? Or do you know of a good chest rig that does offer that?

I’ve never used a chest rig but am interested in trying one. Do you find your chest rig gets in the way when crawling down low on your stomach? One of the obstacles required us to crawl through a relatively narrow, muddy steel culvert. I was on my stomach for a good 10-15 yards at least. I was wondering if a chest rig might interfere with that. My battle belt didn’t interfere, but that was because I placed most of the mags and other stuff along the sides and back, not in front. Everything got real muddy anyway, though.

I also used a cheap “tactical” backpack with a water bladder from Academy that actually held up surprisingly well considering all the mud it went through. I stored my extra ammo in the backpack along with the bladder. But I noticed that when I slung my rifle, it was hard to move it from front to back and vice-versa. It kept getting caught somewhere on the backpack. Others have advised to keep practicing with it, which I have to no avail. I’ve used two different types of adjustable slings, but they both keep getting caught on the backpack or backpack’s shoulder straps. Without the backpack, I’m able to easily pass the rifle front to back, etc., with no problems, though. Have you come across this problem or have any tips for that?

6 Likes

I use an inner belt with velcro which mares with the outer bsttle belt… lightweight suspenders also work.
No pouches forward of the hips on the battle belt.
A single layer of mags on the front of a chest rig will not impede prone or crawling.

5 Likes

Yessir, there’s all those videos with guys looking like walking advertisements for the gear manufacturers.
Silly, eh wot?

3 Likes

I wore plates enough in real War to know I will never wear them again…I see no need to own them even in a SHTF situation…

4 Likes

Why? Justify? I have plates and no plates. Each is appropriate for the situation.

3 Likes

I don’t see the need for them, the chances of them saving my life are very slim…I would rather carry water, extra food and ammo…the cost and weight versus the chance they would save my life is not even on the radar for me.

3 Likes

It’s your decision, and I understand it. IMO, I would be careful situating your mind on exactly what you may be faced with during SHTF. If I had to conduct CQB, ambush, raid, defense of a key point, I would want the ability to throw my plates on.

3 Likes

Good advice. I also wear an inner 1.75” Klik belt with my battle belt, but it still manages to slide down when running and jogging.

I’m still interested in trying a chest rig, but I know nothing about them. So I may look for one that’s compatible with hooking up to my battle belt to keep it from drooping. Good to hear they don’t get in the way when crawling on your stomach, because these events usually have obstacles that require some low crawling and shooting prone.

It would be even better if I could find a chest rig with a built-in bladder pouch across the back, but I don’t know if they make anything like that. I discovered I unnecessarily weighed myself down with way too much ammo, but not enough water when I did the biathlon. I’d like to switch that around at my next event.

3 Likes

I’ve never worn plates and know nothing about them. I’ve looked into the kind that fit in kids’ backpacks to protect my kids in the event of a school shooting, but none of the ones I’ve seen for that purpose are rated to stop a rifle round. But I understand that’s not what you’re talking about here.

Anyway, what light weight plates would you recommend?

4 Likes

keep your eye on the HDPE or other armour rated plastic plates - as good as if not better than steel and a lot lighter. Plus they “float” so if you live around water they become more of a want to wear.

3 Likes

Well, just happens I am a dealer for ShotStop. These are duritium / duritium composite plates snd as such they are lightweight but do no crack like ceramic nor vulnerable to heat like UMHWPE. They also do rifle raated backpack armor. You can find it in the online store at Max Velocity Tactical. I personally run the Level 3 Green Tip special threat plates.

https://maxvelocitytactical.com/shop/

5 Likes

If SHTF happens, doing CQB, Ambushes or Raids is not on my radar either…not sure why that would be on anyone’s radar unless you plan on taking what you want and killing people on purpose…

2 Likes

Sigh…so many assumptions.

Short answer: depending on the situation, defense must contain offense. Thus you should patrol. If you spot bad guys inbound to your location, a legitimate tactic is to ambush them. This is not about attacking people and taking their stuff. CQB is relevant in all situations that involve a structure - even moving i to what seems to be a derelict to spend the night.

It is wrong to situate what you know about tactics based on assumptions of what may or may not be relevent in the future.

If someone attacks your farm, body armor would ne great to have.

6 Likes

lol…you assume a lot…

2 Likes

Different stoke for different folks…if that what your into I respect that, I’m in no stand point to say it’s not appropriate and I have not had any experience in plates but not saying I wouldn’t try them. Great video, thanks for the time you put into the video…definitely sparked an interest IMO!!..cheers!

4 Likes

The ALICE belt and suspenders is one of the older examples of this solution. Earlier ALICE suspenders have a ‘Y’ configuration to the back, and later ALICE suspenders have an ‘H’ configuration to the back. The ‘H’ suspenders are the more confortable of the two. I haven’t shopped for them in a while, but a few years back, it wasn’t difficult to find unissued surplus ALICE belts and ‘H’ suspenders for a fairly low price.

Around the last time I noticed the prices on the ALICE belts and suspenders, I saw that a much more recent version was hitting the surplus market. They were priced higher, but the Marines have apparently been using something similar to the ALICE belt and suspenders, but improved with more padding and compatible with the current webbing attachment system.

3 Likes

might I simply suggest this

$22 at home depot

6 Likes

Thanks, srdiver. Not sure if those clips would hold up on one of those obstacle crawls, though. To put it in perspective, the culvert is steel and very narrow, so I was scraping along it on my stomach while pulling with my elbows. It was enough to not only push the belt and my pants down, but it also tore a hole in my pants. I’ll also need it to withstand the chain-link and wooden fence climbing obstacles. Those also managed to drag the belt down.

Anyway, I found some surplus Alice suspenders on eBay for cheap:

https://www.ebay.com/p/US-Military-Alice-Y-Suspenders-Lbe-Load-Bearing-Shoulder-Web-Harness-OD-Fair/575928992?iid=302231226427

But I don’t know if the metal Alice clips will work or fit on my HSG battle belt.

HSG sells their own, but if I can find something cheaper or something that’ll work with both the battle belt and a chest rig or backpack, that would be even better:

https://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/high-speed-low-drag-suspenders-95HSS0.html

3 Likes

Sounds like you were very fortunate! Could have torn a lot more off!!:astonished:

4 Likes