Glock Binary... I'll take that!

Isnt binary a gender now?

4 Likes

Decades ago I worked in the plastics industry (extrusion) and small companies made things out of plastic. Larger companies called the same plastics “polymer”. They wanted to be cool, but the exact same plastic from the same manufacturer had a different name. Just sayin’.

There are all sorts of different plastics/polymers, and all have their characteristics.

I had one part that I made for a Sears dishwasher made from a plastic that degraded in heat and water. That was commonly known but it was the desired characteristic. I suggested we use something else and was told Sears didn’t want that, they wanted the part made of the specified plastic. It kept $ coming in to Sears for repairs was my assumption. I’m not suggesting that firearms manufacturers make their parts out of the wrong polymer. That would be nuts with a firearm. I’m just saying there are good and bad plastics for parts.

While it might gall some folks, and I like wood and walnut myself, polymer keeps expense down on parts where it can be used. I had lots of polymer firearms before the boating accident.

4 Likes

Yeah Glock uses an in house polymer called nylon 6.

1 Like

Do you mean an in-house variant of Interessengemeinschaft Farbenindustrie (IG Farben) AG’s Nylon 6 (Polycaprolactam) or are you saying that it was Glock that invented Nylon 6?

Can you confirm that Glock frames are made from Nylon 6? I thought that they were made from Polymer 2. Which, for all I know, could very well be Nylon 6 by another name.

I always thought that Polymer 2 was more of a DuPont Zytel brand glass-reinforced polyamide 66. I think that Nylon 6 was made as a competitor for Nylon 66 without infringing on patent rights, but I’m really not as knowlageable about polymers as I should be… If you can tell me more about “polymer 2” I’d love to hear more about it.

On the subjet of Nylon 66, if you can help it, don’t take apart a Remington Nylon 66. They are a PITA!

3 Likes

It would be nice if you could assume he wasn’t up to some comic shenanigan or another,
knowing him nylon 6 is what adult toys are made of :speak_no_evil:

3 Likes

(Sarcasm on) No Robert…That would be nylon 666! (Sarcasm off)

4 Likes

Its thier inhouse variant , for more technical detail these threads are good. More than I care to dive into it but neat nonetheless.

2 Likes

No Sig p320s are made of recycled di…err…“adult toys”

2 Likes

Are they made in that town?

2 Likes

All Sigs would be at home there

2 Likes

1 Like

Fail

th (2)

1 Like

2 Likes

That muzzle device has a Sig paint job. Glocks are not fancy and colorful enough to be ghey.

1 Like