Glock Daily Carry set up

5 Likes

If you are going to run motor oil, run 5-30 or 0-20 of you are in cold climate

4 Likes

Im in NE Oregon, it gets down to -5 at worse, nothing too bad.

3 Likes

How about Transmission fluid?

2 Likes

No, great cleaner though! There is not enough lube to it. While I have custom blended heavier weight motor oil with ATF to make a gun lube. It is better than nothing, but ATF has huge amounts of solvents and cleaners in it and it doesnā€™t contain anti carbon additives. Something that is needed in firearms.

3 Likes

Thanks for clearing that up, makes sense. I was just curious. Any reason I shouldnt use Royal Purple 5w30? Ive had a big jug of it forever that I have no use for anymore, might just use it for gun lube instead of buying more mobil 1.

2 Likes

I have all seasons in my AO I havenā€™t used a heavier weight as I bought this for firearms 5 yeats ago and itā€™d still half full

3 Likes

Any full synthetic oil for an engine will work. I am sure the weight you are running is fine, but to find out, take your gun outside when it is brutally cold (-5Ā° or what ever)
And see how it runs while frozen. We have -30Ā° here and zero 20 runs a gun in that weather as long as you do not have to much. Be super careful with pistolsā€¦ during the winter mine nearly run dryā€¦ well my glocks in the slide. While my Sigs they are still oiled as usual but for the firing pins. Sometimes I will dona light oil then blow the entire weapon out with 120 psi air gun, then swab out the barrel. I do not lube inside my mags everā€¦ contamination to the cartridges.

3 Likes

I almost never oil firing pins carcin build up turns it to sludge I also never oil mags

2 Likes

Yeah, I NEVER oil a magā€¦

3 Likes

Though I do Cerakote themā€¦ smooths them up! Hahhahhaha

2 Likes

Thatā€™s identical to my EDC setup. I have always used CLP on my Glocks with good effect. Nice to know that Iā€™ve gotten at lest one thing right lol.

3 Likes

Hmmmmā€¦ Good to know. Whatā€™s your feeling about Hoppeā€™s? Iā€™ve got both the oil and spray cleaner/lube I use. CLP is great for breaking up carbon it seems, itā€™s a little better at it than the Hoppeā€™s foam cleaner in my opinion.

4 Likes

To the snow loversā€¦ and haters
Diary of a Snow Shoveler:

December 8: 6:00 PM. It started to snow. The first snow of the season and the wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses
Print. So romantic we felt like newlyweds again. I love snow!

December 9: We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the Whole World? Moving here was the best idea Iā€™ve ever had. Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a boy again. I did both our driveway and
the sidewalks. This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life!

December 12: The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment. My neighbor tells me not to worry, weā€™ll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says weā€™ll have so much snow by the end of winter, that Iā€™ll never want to see snow again. I donā€™t think thatā€™s possible. Bob is such a nice man Iā€™m glad heā€™s our neighbor.

December 14: Snow lovely snow! 8" last night. The temperature dropped to -20. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway And sidewalks. This is the life! The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again. l didnā€™t realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but Iā€™ll certainly get back in shape this way. I wish I wouldnā€™t huff and puff so.

December 15: 20 inches forecast. Sold my van and bought a 4x4 Blazer. Bought snow tires for the wifeā€™s car and 2 extra shovels. Stocked the freezer. The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think thatā€™s silly. We arenā€™t in Alaska, after all.

December 16: Ice storm this morning. Fell on my rear end on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like you canā€™t believe. The wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel.

December 17: Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere. Electricity was off for 5 hours. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I shouldā€™ve bought a wood stove, but wonā€™t admit it to her. God I hate it when sheā€™s right. I canā€™t believe Iā€™m freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20: Electricityā€™s back on, but had another 14" of the stuff last night. More shoveling. Took all day. That dumb snowplow came by twice. Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said theyā€™re too busy
playing hockey. I think theyā€™re lying.

December 21: Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and theyā€™re out. Might have another shipment in March. I think theyā€™re lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think heā€™s lying.

December 22: Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white crud fell today, and itā€™s so cold it probably wonā€™t melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to use the bathroom. By the time I got undressed, went, and dressed again, I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter; but he says heā€™s too busy. Iā€™m sure he is lying.

December 23: Only 2" of snow today. And it warmed up to 0. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What is she nuts?!! Why didnā€™t she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I think sheā€™s lying.

December 24: 6". Snow packed so hard by snowplow, I broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch the son of a gun who drives that snowplow, Iā€™ll drag him through the snow by his ears. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where Iā€™ve just been! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was busy watching for that snowplow.

December 25: Merry Christmas. 20 more inches of the miserable slop tonight. Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. God I hate the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a bad attitude. I think sheā€™s an idiot. If I have to watch ā€œItā€™s a Wonderful Lifeā€ one more time, Iā€™m going to scream!

December 26: Still snowed in. Why did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. Sheā€™s really getting on my nerves.

December 27: Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze.

December 28: Warmed up to above -20. Still snowed in. THE B***CH is driving me crazy!!!

December 29: 10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. Thatā€™s the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30: Roof caved in. The snow plow driver is suing me for a million dollars. The wife went home to her mother. Nine more inches of snow predicted.

December 31: Set fire to whatā€™s left of the house. No more shoveling.

January 8: I feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to the bed?

6 Likes

Great thread. Here I thought CLP was the best thing. Looks like I better pull out the firearms from storage, re-clean them and apply motor oil instead.

Lots of recommendations for synthetic motor oil. What about non-synthetic motor oil or the semi-synthetic stuff? Only reason I ask is because I still have a quart or two of that stuff but donā€™t have any synthetic.

Also good to know about ATF. I thought I read somewhere about an old Edā€™s Red recipe that calls for ATF, acetone and kerosene, but I guess thatā€™s for cleaning only and not lubrication.

1 Like

I usually run some sort of synthetic oilā€¦ lightweight. SLIP2000 is great. Sonis the Lucas gun oil. I use Hoppes when customers request it, so far zero issues.

4 Likes

Yep, I will use all that to clean if need be.

3 Likes