Glock recoil spring replacement?

I have been contemplating whether to change out the plastic recoil spring out of my P80 build for a stainless steel rod. Is there any benefits to changing to SS rod or is it just a gimmick? Basically I need an opinion whether there is any benefit or not…

Thanks

7 Likes

Benefit, not really, other than it not being plastic.

5 Likes

No big difference. Suit yourself. The plastic ones will break if you reassemble the pistol wrong.

5 Likes

Never run a plastic one
It’s not that exspensive
I always change a guide rod if it’s plastic

6 Likes

I’ve heard a few reports about the plastic rods breaking, but it sounds rare. I upgraded to a non-captured metal rod in my 21 Gen 3 for piece of mind.

4 Likes

Supposed to help with muzzle flip. Titanium best followed by stainless steel. You can check out the Glock Store and read their advertising on the matter. I cannot confirm if it helps or not.

1 Like

I don’t understand people sometimes
It’s simple
Plastic guide rods are junk
Get e replacement rod and ho on with your day
Gunsmithing advice

4 Likes

There’s absolutely no credible data supporting any measurable difference in performance between the two types. I do however tend to replace with metal when the time comes, but not always -depends on cost and availability at the time.

3 Likes

One advantage of the plastic guide rod is that is it allows good alignment even when a polymer frame is flexing.
I used a Glock 17 for many years for matches and training.
Never had a problem with the original guide rod.
I did try a a steel one, though.
But discovered it caused the slide to hang up and put excessive stress on front of the slide.
It was probably not completely straight, but is something to consider.

2 Likes

Twice the weight of the plastic Factory guide rod. GlockStore stainless steel Glock 23 Gen 4 guide rod assembly. For me It definitely helped with muzzle climb, flip/recoil.
Combined with a nice trigger upgrade it shoots fast and smooth, recoil of .40 cal is is managed nicely👍

7 Likes