Good rechargeable batteries?

Besides the high drain 18650, anyone use rechargeable AA batteries for their gear? Flashlights, scopes radios etc. If so, what’s good, brand, mah, ? Is the performance close to that of the disposable single use Energizer & Duracell? Or not worth the $$ for use in high use/demand gear?

I was entertaining the idea & looking at these, but figured I’d ask if anyone has personal experience and insight 1st

9 Likes

Trouble with AA size rechargeables is they start out at around 1.3V, plateau at 1.2V, and then drop off. Alkaline and Lithium start off at 1.5V.

I work in an office and keep a single AA size EDC light clipped to my left front pocket and that uses a single 750 mAh UltraTac battery that recharges with a micro-USB connector. It’s a “cheat” because it is a 3.7V Li-Ion (14500 rechargable). This has served me well and I use it a LOT at work and at home in the barn and chicken coops.

I fly R/C and a couple of my older transmitters use loose AA rechargeables. Last time I replaced those I used Venom 4,000 mAh NiMH. They do have a longer use-life than the NiCads.

9 Likes

Thank you. I’m wondering if in some uses if I’d be better off using an external rechargeable battery pack. Obviously, Not in items like your EDC pocket light & similar

7 Likes

I use Eneloop Pro in my edc light, Surefire Titan plus. They last, three years and the original is still kicking.

8 Likes

Do you know if those are the same diameter as a regular battery, or a little fatter? I read somewhere that some rechargeable batteries are a little fatter- causing fit issues in tight battery compartments.

8 Likes

The AAA’s I use are the standard size.

8 Likes

LonewolfMcQuade i like Fenix rechargeable batteries. And i like my devices to be multi-fuel and solar rechargeable if possible, good thread👍

9 Likes

Most of my cells are either 18650 or eneloop pro. I do have 2 lights that use larger Li-Ion cells but I don’t remember the size off hand.

Just stay away from cells that have storage claims that are too good to be true. Current state of the art for 18650 is about 3500mah. If the claim for 15000mah is made you know it’s bogus. The other thing is a quality charger. Li-Ions can handle max’ 1/2 capacity charge rate and eneloops max’ 1/3 cap’ charge rate. Err on the side of lower charge rate rather than higher. Stay away from consumer chargers that are found at the hardware store. They are deliberately set to a high charge rate and they’ll ruin the cells early. The makers of those chargers are in the business of selling cells.

Some items using the eneloops don’t like the lower voltage even though there’s plenty of juice. My LabRadar is one of those. It tells me that the voltage is low until I actually use the radar, then it’s all happy with the juice it gets. It depends on what it’s put in.

6 Likes

This is what I’m using in the Nitecore C17 light I have for it to work properly. . The other 18650’s my other lights use work in it also, but won’t allow the 2500 lumen turbo feature to work.

6 Likes

1 of the main solutions I’m looking to solve is the AA for my Wraith day/NV scope. It eats a little juice, especially when recording video. I can use battery banks w/ a micro usb connector also, but definitely want to get some rechargeable AA’s as well.

6 Likes

Stumpkiller you mentioned RC👍I’ve got a completely custom Traxxas E-max monster truck with dual Kershaw Designs 700 HO motors. It runs on two of these battery pack. I’ve had it clock on a radar gun, 38 miles an hour.

6 Likes

38 Mph? That’s cute. (kidding - you can’t see my waggish grin and wink). This baby has a 35 cc two-stroke gasoline engine with an 18" prop and 82" wingspan and approaches 75 mph on a level run. ;-). I have smaller glow models that are faster . . . but don’t sound as snotty.

And a twin engine electric that makes little if any sound at all but is beautiful and cool. Beautiful in the air, but a fiberglass fuselage and very heavy and a pig for with misirable handlling and unforgiving stall characteristics - very scale like.

7 Likes

I also see one of our advertisers here,Survival Frog , has these rechargeable & charger

7 Likes

That thing is sweet very nice👍
How does it handle in the mud and snow :wink:

5 Likes

Either of you have twin Ruger 10/22’s mounted to the RC toys?

6 Likes

LonewolfMcQuade, No but you might be onto something there @Stumpkiller?
Is the survival frog price shown per battery with the charger?

5 Likes

I believe price is for 4 batteries and the charger.

6 Likes

LonewolfMcQuade If the qualities there that’s an incredibly good price👍

6 Likes

That looks like a pretty good set, wish I had seen that sooner

5 Likes

I’ve been using Tenergy batteries. I don’t time them or keep track of how long they have been in one of my lights. If any of you have tried them and found better, let me know before I buy more.

4 Likes