Boy do I have a lot (more) to learn!
About 8 hrs messing around with 3 different programs to go from this:
img_3065_8X72

to this

Working on HAL-broswift next

8 Likes

Fiber or CO2? More details, please!

7 Likes

So… you can take photos and the machine turns them into line drawings to sketch out?

6 Likes

Fiber. 60W MOPA M7. Built by XT laser to my requirements. Then I had to import. Something I had not done before, FDA forms, “Trump” tariff, etc. Still saved a few bucks and got a better machine over buying off amazon.

Not that easy, need to convert to vectors. Same idea as vinyl cutters. Text is easy but the AR15 was first grey scaled, inverted, and posterized in photoshop, vectored in inkscape, and then a lot of cleaning up in EZcad.
There are converters you can subscribe to, and a lot of vector files out there by subscription service.

8 Likes

I did get my first real project done, serial number was just painted on the Boss-25, didn’t notice until I was done media blasting and cerakoting, instant felon. Lased it back on today. All good.

8 Likes

Getting some practice in.

11 Likes

I’m jelly. I’d love to have that capability, so many possibilities. Keep posting your work!

7 Likes

Messing around with the rotary. Some testing and calibration on a 5mm square

And some line art

11 Likes

Those are super cool, how much did this machine cost?

9 Likes

Machine as built was $4950, with JPT 60W mopa M7 laser, laptop, rotary, 800mm tower, and 3 lenses. (Only ordered 2?). Then add DHL 85 Kg crate from China to front door, Trump China tariff, FDA, bribes, etc. still came out less then buying bare bones off amazon. And it was built to my spec, software on laptop set up and tested. Separate calibrations performed for each of the 3 lenses.

Never imported anything before so some stress involved but XT Laser good outfit. Used Alibaba to handle the transaction, another first.

If you look at fiber lasers on amazon or elsewhere, you will see big price differences for seemingly same machines. Got to look really close, but besides the laser, there are 2 or more different driver boards, typically a JCZ or a JCZ lite which is maybe a $800 difference cost between the 2, (or other non ezcad2/ lightburn compatible boards) tower height (Taller beefier tower to handle larger lenses focal length) Lot of little things. I got lucky talking to Damon/ XT, wasn’t my first choice but really happy I gave them a shot. I would recommend if anyone in the market.

10 Likes

More practice stuff

Practice slide…
No bores or rails, 20 bucks…

10 Likes

That would look sexy on a finished project.

10 Likes

Looks good, maybe better on a glock…

9 Likes

It could open up all kinds of opportunities for serrations/checkering, like a trademark pattern.

10 Likes

Here is a camo on a block of SS. Just scratching the surface, quite a few colors are possible with a little more experimentation.

9 Likes

Really surprised at the colors you can do.

7 Likes

I haven’t done a lot of experimenting with stainless yet, just last night, yet but stuff like this is all over the web

9 Likes

Messed around on one of my SS 1911’s
Need to get a better system for framing but came out pretty good. Get a really good look on one kind of stainless and blah on another. Practice.

And some screwing around…

9 Likes

Good stuff, man.

5 Likes

Got a little practice workflow going this afternoon, after some morning range time.

Always time at laser and cerakote central for some screwing around cutting 0.5 mm brass sheet. top one was 200 passes at a reasonable power, about 4-5 minutes bottom one 20 passes with more aggressive parameters about 20-30 seconds.

8 Likes