Grandpa’s Ruger Standard

So I had a bit of a surprise today. My mom turned over my grandfather’s Ruger Standard (Mark I) to me this afternoon. I’m getting very confusing info about it as I search online. If I’m reading the serial number charts correctly, the gun was manufactured sometime in mid 1951. However, it has the black eagle logo on the grips which didn’t start until 1952. (In memory of Alexander Sturm’s passing.) I’m about 99% sure the grips are original to the gun so can anyone shed some light on this?

11 Likes

Wheres the pics?

11 Likes

You’re right.
I wasn’t thinking.
1,000 demerits for me!

10 Likes

Wow, quite a looker, hows it shoot?

8 Likes

That is a great looking pistol. I would try asking Ruger for details. They would likely have the information you seek.

10 Likes

No idea since I have never fired it.

I have no guess as to when my grandfather last shot her. I honestly don’t have any memory of ever seeing him shoot ANY handgun. The thing was still loaded when Mom gave it to me and she had no idea. Who knows when it was even cleaned last? (Considering you need a Master’s degree in Engineering to break down the original Standards.)

It’s going out to the range with me tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how it compares to my Mark IV Target. When I get home, I’ll watch a few YouTube videos and see if I can dismantle her for a good scrubbing. :crazy_face:

Range report will follow.

10 Likes

I will try getting in touch with them tomorrow.

9 Likes

Here’s a start. I haven’t watched the whole video yet but will finish it since I need to break mine down as well.

And more

9 Likes

They aren’t to bad. Had a friend who took his apart but didn’t know to hit it during reassembly.

9 Likes

A tale of two Rugers over 3 generations apart. Mr. Standard and his great grandson, little Mark IV Target. One 70+ years old. The other- only 3. Just a toddler. One with fixed sights, the other with fully adjustable target sights. Grandpa Standard showed baby Mark that the old man has still got it. Little Mark IV kept up but Grandpa really made him work for it. I think the youngin’ is a little embarrassed that Grandpa got the better of him.

Translation: That 70 year old Ruger Standard is a freaking tack driver! I was plinking an 8” steel plate at 20 yards all afternoon. I used a variety of different ammo in both and both ate up everything I fed them. However, when I switched to a box of Federal Automatch 40 gr, that old Standard REALLY shined! Probably one of the most accurate handguns I have ever shot. I really wish I had remembered the staple gun to hang paper targets and get a better idea of grouping. Truthfully though, I don’t have any other handgun I can shoot those 20 yard 8” steels with as much consistency. Seriously not bad for a gun that cost $37.50 when it was new.

9 Likes

See @Belt-Fed its not just you :rofl:

Great pics @WillieB and nice share, you can post the one of you in our member photos are also :+1:

10 Likes

Nice shooting @WillieB. It is a great tribute to your grandpa.

9 Likes

Very Nice! Auto match is a good round, sadly :weary: I didn’t get enough of that brand before the world went mad/hair on fire :runlikehell:

7 Likes

Done.
Although I don’t know who wants to look at my ugly mug. :rofl:

I actually found two boxes at Chinamart last year. Used part of one box during a Christmas ornament shoot last December. Finished it off today. Saving the other box for the next ornament shoot. (Or another 22 competition if one comes up.)

6 Likes

Gave Grandpa’s Standard a good, deep clean Sunday afternoon. Took it back out to the range today. This is 20 yards just plinking. No bearing down, focused breathing or anything like that. Just aim and shoot.

7 Likes

Looks like it will take care of business :+1:

7 Likes

Tough Guy: If you shoot me with a .22, you’re just gonna piss me off!

Me: What if I shoot you with a .22 nine times?

7 Likes