Green horn looking to start reloading.

I’m still kind of new to the game and wondering how I should approach this. I have some calibers that I usually shoot at the range and just bought at the store. Best most common black 9mm, 556 and 762x39. This nation into my big question, i’m looking to get into rebuilding and need to do it for two specific calibers. The first being the big boy 500 magnum. I have a lot of Starline brass laying around that I acquired with a firearm and I have the dies. They are RCB components. So I was wondering what kind of setup would I need to make this happen. I’ve been hearing about a single stay set up back I do everything myself without the automation for the most part, I control the quality and all aspects now for a more Niche and difficult one would be the development of the 357 Sig this one’s a bit tricky sense is using a 40 cal casing that will have to be neck down i’ve been following some of the forms on a few other sites but since this is full 30 I want to give it a try here.

What is been your performance with the 357 Sig cartridge manufacturer and reloads. And what is your recipe if you don’t mind sharing. This will go in regards to either the 500 Magnum or the 357 Sig cartridge. Trying to get something that has a nice bit of to it but also does its job down range. #Tips

5 Likes
5 Likes

We have a pro here, he just moved his shop but maybe can grace us with some answers @USRS

5 Likes

thank you

3 Likes

When you start reloading the easiest thing to do is to just learn on line or from the guy next door. Cheapest and fastest way to do it. By doing this you can skip all the unneeded info and get right down to the nitty gritty. However, you also pickup information that is dated and may not give the correct answers to some needed questions. Any it may not be the safest way either… depends upon the person.

My suggestion is to find a qualified NRA reloading instructor in your area and have them take you through everything you need to know. Most will also help you select equipment and help you set it up too. Courses are usually a full day (8+ hours), so you get a lot of information packed in there as well as hands on presses.

Good luck on that and if you have any questions, be sure to ask, as there are no dumb questions in reloading.

6 Likes

Listen to those who do it a lot. I can tell you reloading 9mm is going to be tedious without a progressive press. I do .223 on a redding T7 turret.

The best money savings will be in the large bore stuff like 500 magnum. I load those at around 20 cents a round. I however cast my own bullets.

Start off with one caliber and stick with it until you’re comfortable. Then move on to another.

Lastly, read, read, and read more. Max loads doesn’t mean you have to load to that. Stick somewhere in the middle.

3 Likes

Start with a Lee kit. If you can stand that upgrade then.

5 Likes

Thank you very much I really appreciate it. I’ve been working on a few loads that I found on the web sites on Hornady and a few other websites that offer free reload data. You are very correct and not trying to reach the maximum from the gate. It’s more than a work-in-progress by what different Lowe’s to find The Sweet Spot you want. Also I didn’t know they had an NRA reloading instructor, I didn’t know that was a thing.

So far you are correct that doing more stuff is the best way to go to save money. I also want to know how to cast my own bullets and have been diving into a lot of other forms and YouTube with guys giving demonstrations. Luckily I’m on the East Coast next to the ocean which means a lot of boats and their let it wait to spare.:slight_smile:

But as you know everyone has little sadist in them lOL. Eventually though I will have to deep Into a turret system to get the most out of it for doing reloading. The only sad part is that to get the automated motor to do it for you cost so much but it makes life so easy if you got to do a few thousand rounds

2 Likes

I use this Lee turret press for my low production pistol calibers. This design allows you to set up all dies for one caliber on a single removable turret. You can purchase additional turrets for each caliber as needed. It also has the option for auto indexing, but I don’t use it. Mine is used like a single stage and it works great.

Otherwise, I use a Dillon progressive for my high production calibers, which allows me to reload 100 rounds in 15-20 minutes.

6 Likes

SteelPinger… interesting. I do exactly the same thing. Also keep a Lee cast single stage on line too. Makes it nice to use for training, but I use the Lee progressive (4 hole) a lot and many of our customers like it too. Much quicker for small jobs than changing the Dillon 650 out.

5 Likes

I went with the RCBS single stage. Had to load for my 30 rem ar since it not made anymore and till my 308 in right its my go to hunting rifle. I like the one casing at a time one stage of work at a time cause I am a bit anal about making sure everything is exactly the same. I know the rotating turrets do the same thing but that’s just me.
What has been recommended of classes is dead on the money so to speak . I did it and am really glad for it. I took classes at a local ammo shop that has a license to produce ammo and sale said ammo . Good thing to do as this store is also my go to place when I run into issues I cant figure out.

4 Likes

It works great and the quality is decent too. Some people criticize Lee equipment, but that Classic Turret press is a pretty good unit. Also, I got it used for super cheap. :+1:

2 Likes

I’ll post up a few of my reloading videos. This is my Lee 1000 progressive press. It works well when it’s not messing up, which it does a lot. I ended up removing the priming station all together.

2 Likes

Here’s another video I did.

3 Likes