Greetings from GA

Welcome to the forum @DamnDaniel!
Do you have a rifle?

10 Likes

Welcome to the forum!
And great that you are practicing your right to keep safe.

11 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Don’t let these people fool you @DamnDaniel. They are only here to spend your money. :rofl:

11 Likes

Welcome to the forum @DamnDaniel

11 Likes

Welcome from NC.

11 Likes

Welcome!

11 Likes

Welcome to quarantine heh, from nc

10 Likes

Welcome!

10 Likes

Welcome @DamnDaniel
Great to have you here with us at Full 30!

10 Likes

Welcome from Ky

11 Likes

Welcome to the Forums!

10 Likes

Welcome to Full30 forum @DamnDaniel Good to have you here.

Check us out at USgunBlog.com

If you’re a content creator on Full30, join

Be sure to check out the list of content creators and give them a subscribe.

Dan

8 Likes

@DamnDaniel welcome to full30.

9 Likes

@switchpod I don’t currently own a rifle, however, I have been scouring the interwebs for different ones. Right now I have 2 types in mind. It’s between a 9MM carbine and a 300 blackout with either a 5" or 8" barrel. I’m leaning more towards the 9MM since ammo is relatively cheap and readily available.

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum from central Maine!

Rifles are good. Easier to hit with and more punch. IMO, of the 2 general types mentioned the 9mm would be best for a newbie rifle owner. When that Blackout uncorks the barrel pressure will be very high and that means blast and noise. If it’s a 16" 9mm, when the barrel gets opened the pressure is greatly reduced along with blast and noise. Shorter barrel? More like a handgun discharged a bit closer to the face, but definitely not in rifle category blast.

Protect that TP!

8 Likes

Cool. Here are a few good options for 9mm carbines. For out of the box models:

1. Ruger PC Carbine: Compatible with both Ruger and Glock magazines.

2. Kel-Tec Sub2000: Fun little shooter and not terribly expensive. Everyone seems to love them.

For AR-style:

1. CMMG: They offer a radial delayed blowback system, which reduces the blast mentioned by @BrianK. Their uppers are on the pricey side.

2. Palmetto State Armory: Their uppers are simple blowback design and less expensive.

As for lowers, you can go with a dedicated 9mm lower which will accept Glock mags, or you can use a standard AR rifle lower with conversion mag kits. Endomag and CMMG makes these mag kits. The CMMG kits are proprietary to their uppers, but Endomags may be used with the PSA uppers.

There are other options out there of course, but these seem to be the most popular.

9 Likes

Actually the blast I referred to would be with .300BO and a short barrel and the muzzle end. The blast comes out the end with the flash hider and not the breech. Just as the pressure is building the barrel gets uncorked because the bullet comes out of the muzzle and what comes after is the blast. I have never experienced short barrel blast with .300BO, but I would imagine for a noob it might be daunting and somewhat less than attractive. We don’t want to put so much to deal with on his plate that he’s overwhelmed.

If it’s for home defense where one doesn’t have time to put on protective gear it might be a deal breaker. Now with a can it wouldn’t be a big deal, but most cans have a 10" minimum barrel restriction.

When he mentioned a PCC (PCC=pistol caliber carbine) I immediately thought Ruger and the Sub2k. I’ve put countless thousands of rounds through my sub2k in competition and as long as it’s brass cased ammo it’s 100% reliable. One can do lots worse than a sub2k or a Ruger PCC.

6 Likes

Welcome from TX!

7 Likes

There’s a whole lot more to know about defense than just how to shoot.
Fortunately there’s an abundance of training available these days where ever one lives.

6 Likes

I agree with you @g.willikers We’ll have to see how things go in the next few weeks.

6 Likes