Greets from Clinton Westwood, DIY gun builder

Welcome to the Full30 Forum, Clinton.

5 Likes

Would love to see your missing content come back. Always enjoyed watching your videos.

5 Likes

Hello mr westwood is it possible you can send me your email so i can ask questions on your project designes plus is it possible you can send me the video that youtube took down. My email is (admin redacted)

4 Likes

@Clinton has not visited in almost a year, perhaps he will get this and respond with any new advancements :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

you happen to know his email.or maybe you backed up the video that youtube took down i did not get a chance to.perhaps you can anwer the question when constructing a pistol barrel dont you have to drill in from both sides with two different size bits one for the chamber the other for the barrel where you rifle it .what is the sequence

5 Likes

It’s awesome to get people who add to the knowledge pool.

5 Likes

Hello @Bloom109 and welcome.

If you want my opinion on this I would drill out the barrel from one end to the other. the barrel blank then turned true between centers on a lathe. Once that was done you could button rifle to with a press and a rifling button with the aid of the proper sized drill rod stock. Once rifled you would re indicate center in a lathe and select a chamber reamer, with the aid of a go, no/go gauges cut to proper depth. Depending on how far or nice you want it then you would crown the muzzle and hand lap the barrel for improved accuracy and ease of cleaning.

I hope this helps answer your question.

7 Likes

Thanks switchboard but can you translate that to a hobbiest level who would be able to do that with basic hardware tools in other words very basic.your level of discription is for a machinest. Im talking about a level where a drill press would be used not a lath.i know very basicly that a bullets casing cant go through to the barrel so its diamter is slightly bigger than the barrels then i know the barrel has to be riffled after using a 9mm bit to bore it .is that correct?

6 Likes

Well not nessisarily a 9mm bit any caliber bit lol

6 Likes

Absolutely @Bloom109 but I need a little more information.

1. Caliber

2. Approximate length of barrel

3. I’m assuming you want rifling?

4. I’m assuming a single shot system.

We can get you all sorts of good cheap ideas to complete your project but I need to know a few small details.

5 Likes

9mm semi auto

5 Likes

Clinton was notified, @switchpod is a genius who won’t steer you wrong

and you @Bloom109 need to please do an intro post, let us know more about you,

and, you are not a felon or other prohibited individual concerning firearms ownership in your jurisdiction correct?

6 Likes

That is correct i live in the state of virginia im a mere hobbiest that likes to know how machinical devices works and no no felon we would not want such knowledge to fall into the hands of some one like that. Im trying to make a intro but can you guide me directly to that

6 Likes

Now the question i would like to ask is im reading the mark II semi auto pistol build there is a series of them out there for hobby builds. But the one thing each manual leaves out is properly making the barrel as far as chambering section and the rifiled barrel section. Now i remember clinton westwoods video that he took down off of youtube went over this.but i did not get a cgance to download it. Can any body give me a idea of the sequence of these things i know that the bullet case can not enter the barrel section that is why the chambering section is bored out alittle bigger than the barreling section plus i know the barraling section has to be rifiled inorder to be accurate.but they say if the barrel is to tight the bullet can get stuck and the gun can explode but the barrel cant also be too loose. How much bigger than the bullet is the barrel in diameter before rifiling? And to make a barrel i know you have to drill from both sides of the cylinder one cavity for the chamber and one cavity for the barrel (the longer but slightly less narrow). And no need for specifics i just need a general idea to get the picture.like is the barrel a thousandth small in diameter than the chamber.please anybody answering in laymans terms even though i want to study machining to to design other useful gadgets im not familiar to the lingo so if you can clear things up and explain in as basic terms as possible thank you very much

3 Likes

Are you trying to make a firearm or are you trying to learn about how they are made?

4 Likes

Im trying to make one im reading one of the diy sheet metal hobby books

3 Likes

The type of questions your asking are cause for concern… Don’t mean to be disrespectful but your lack of knowledge on the subject could get yourself or worse yet someone else killed or injured…
I would highly recommend you not make any firearms until you have knowledge and skills to do so safely!
Even experienced gun makers have accidents, check out what happened to Paul Mauser…
I’ve been lucky so far, I’m also very careful and have many years experience in manufacturing, metallurgy, gunsmithing and machining…

6 Likes

I love the Kolt. Is it straight blowback or do you have a delay?

3 Likes

Well im not stupid i know how it works and you dont experiment with those sought of things with your bear hands. You go out into the woods some where out of the way where no body is around and you use a vice and a string but if some one can please answer the question

3 Likes

Do you ratheri figure it out by experiment or by following instruction sometimes its better just to answer a question and help with information it doesnt even mean im gonna build anything .it may just be a hunger and knowledge and curiosity. I went t o school for electronics and have a fasination with fire arms and how they work thats all

2 Likes