Gun dilemma

Man…foget those three, us black folk likes to thow down with some high point action.

14 Likes

Probably. I just like it. Crisp, short reset, the fact that you can’t get anything behind it, the whole package.

13 Likes

I’m no help as I haven’t touched any of the three. But I have thought of replacing my EDC (SW 3913) with either the 365XL, G19, 43X or 48. I take it since you got rid of the G19, the G48 wasn’t a contender? Just curious to hear your thoughts on that since it’s one of the handguns I’m interested in.

12 Likes

The reason I picked the 48 as a contender is it is slimmer and lighter than the 19 in the hand. But on paper the 48 and 19 is the same gun but one is slimmer and holds 10 rds the other thicker and holds 15. Plus the 48 comes with steel night sights. Plus the gun has to be light enough so it won’t drag my shorts down. I don’t wear jeans and a stiff gun belt all the time. Like down here in Alabama in the summer the heat is unforgiving so I wear shorts and tshirts. So the gun has to not feel like a block on my hip. Also I wear sweatpants in the winter.

14 Likes

But it’s still a Glock

12 Likes

Edit: I see I wrote a book. I get carried away many times.

You’re asking for opinions, but we don’t have the same hands and experiences. I’m definitely in the camp that requires a 1911 grip angle from too many years shooting 1911s so that rules Glock out. The 2x4 feel of them is gone but still, there’s that grip angle…

I’ve never fondled a 365 so I’m no help there.

My current EDC is a M&P 9c and I’ve carried it for years. It works and M&P is rock solid. I shot it’s big brother in competition for years with a red dot in place. It malfunctioned exactly twice, but those malfunctions were just strange and no fault of the gun. The spent brass came down and was caught by the closing slide as I was swinging to get on a different target. Later the RO told me that he had only seen that once before and it happened to me twice. But Action Pistol is a speed game and slowing down wasn’t going to happen.

Have you checked out the Hellcat? If I was buying a new EDC it would be high on my list for size and 9mm capacity today. There is also now an optics ready model and Trij’ came out with a narrow red dot made for the handgun. It won’t extend beyond the width of the firearm.

Cursor down for the optics ready model

OK, having written all of that, I’m going to also write that I absolutely must have optics for competition and fine work. But I’m going to try to talk you out of it on an EDC gun. I had problems for years placing the bullet precisely where I wanted it on targets in competition. So I went to red dots. That experience had me thinking I wanted one on my EDC. Long story made short, S&W told me point blank they would never make an optics ready EDC gun. Yeah, I know! So I thought about getting my slide milled. But the entire time I was thinking if I really wanted the increased bulk. I could probably handle that since I carry off body. But remember I said that I used red dots to get fine accuracy? In a SD situation that’s just not needed. In competition I was hitting far too many no shoots because I just won’t give up those A zone hits. But reality, should I ever need to use my EDC is NOT competition. If an innocent is being used as a shield by a BG is it my role to shoot the BG? Heck no! If it’s my wife she probably isn’t going to be grabbed anyway if she’s close to me. If it’s someone else they’re on their own to use their own gun to extricate themself or wait for the hostage negotiator. No gun? Sorry, I’m not a knight coming to the rescue of the public. So I rethought my need for a red dot on my EDC. It’s a relatively close range defensive tool and for anything more than that a long gun is called for. That brings up the issue of range, and red dots are great for longer distances. If one was to use the EDC for shooting a BG at (to pull a distance out of the air) 30 yards, it might be difficult to prove that it was a required SD shot. Heck, I’m minute of dirtbag out to 25 yards even with iron sights and that’s plenty far enough to be a problem for a justifiable shooting. The first rule is to disengage and that should be quite doable at much more than bad breath handgun range. My M&P 9c is without a red dot today no matter how much I love red dots, and I do.

Where do red dots have their place? This is my opinion mind you. A few years ago we had a cop killer running around in the back yard. When we went outside the house for those 4 days my closest companion was a rifle but my farthest shot would have been approx’ 100 yards had the killer fired on us. He was definitely armed. I had a scope on the rifle and it was welcome if a bit heavy. A red dot would have worked great but I didn’t have one on it back then and had I mounted one sighting in would have been a no-no with all the cops busting the puckerbrush. Today if the SHTF and everyday rifle carry becomes common a red dot will be on one for me. It gives enough accuracy to get the job done at an extended range while weighing as little as an ounce. My competition gun today is a 9mm PCC with red dot because of all those factors, light weight, better at distance, and one thing I didn’t mention, it’s blazingly fast even with A zone hits. It’s the PCC that would be my EDCR .

That’s where I think they shine, but for EDC among the general public, at least for my eyes, iron sights are just fine and there’s no question of the perp being too far away for it to be called anything other than SD. No temptation to take a perfectly doable 50 yard shot with a red dot on a perp. Our first job is to disengage, we’re not cops or knights in armor. When we get sued we’re all on our own and legal defense can get very expensive. But I understand the desire for a red dot on the EDC since I wanted one also.

13 Likes

Good point. I didn’t realize the G48 was still comparatively heavy.

It gets brutally hot here in Texas, too. I also sometimes wear shorts in the summer but use a belt. Although somewhat compact, my S&W 3913 is still a bit heavy compared to today’s polymer offerings. But they don’t make mags for them anymore, and they’re hard to find now. My 1911 is relatively thin but heavy. And my Glock 34 is just too big for conceal carry.

Aside from having to cinch my gun belt uncomfortably tight to keep pants and shorts from dragging down from the weight, I don’t care for the gun’s grip touching my skin especially when I’m hot and sweaty. I’ve been experimenting with some thin, bamboo-made undershirts to see if they’ll help with that, but I’m still considering a different EDC like you. I’m hoping to handle a few to see how they feel if I can find one in stock at a LGS, but shelves are still kind of empty.

12 Likes

I shot a 43x that felt better than my regular 43 so if that is a reflection on the 48x it would be something to consider. It was not mos so I can’t speak to that.

12 Likes

:popcorn:

8 Likes

Well it gets brutally hot here in Maine also, but more because we just aren’t accustomed to any heat and humidity during our one day of summer. That’s why I carry off body in what my nephews have called my “man purse”. It’s OK, they’re out of my will. :slight_smile:

The same carry method works when wearing a parka @ -20°F.

12 Likes

That’s awesome. Years ago I got Maxpedition’s Jumbo pack (or Mondo pack? I forget). I got it to use as a diaper bag, with burping rags, diapers, bottles, formula and cleaning wipes stuffed in there and hanging off it. So yeah, it looked just like a big, effeminate man purse/diaper bag - lol. But it also has this cool hidden compartment where you could easily conceal a fullsize handgun. Not sure if that’s what it was intended for, nor did I ever use it as such, but it was convenient to have if I ever wanted to conceal carry that way. I still have it stashed away somewhere and can always use it as a range bag now.

12 Likes

The Jumbo is larger than the Fatboy. I can only address the Fatboy but I strongly suspect that the Jumbo was very similar.

That is indeed what it is intended for. They sell a holster that adheres to the velcro in that hidden pouch. But the gun can’t be full size. 3" guns fit fine.

I once had one of the other sort of gent, carrying a feminine man purse almost approach me, but Maine isn’t hellywood and I could see him reconsider. Good choice. Mine is in OD, I don’t know how the creature could have confused me with one of his butt buddies.

11 Likes

:no_mouth:

12 Likes

Carrying a gun is not suppose to be comfortable, it’s comforting.

15 Likes

exactly

14 Likes

You can’t say the kid wasn’t ready :rofl:

12 Likes

I love the SIG 365. Carry it deep, everywhere.

15 Likes

I’ve tried deep carry, but when doing unholstering practice drills, I noticed some difficulty getting a good firm grip from the get-go.

12 Likes

I only carry deep at church. That our ankle holster. Deep carry makes the gun present faster.

11 Likes

BrianK well put. After all the consideration of needing a red dot or not. I’ve decide not to get a red dot for now. But I will probably buy a optic ready gun. In case I want to buy one for the range to train on. But the journey still goes on. I will probably decide by the end of week. M&P 2.0 compact 4” barrel is the top contender just because I’ve own the M&p line before and I’m familiar with it.

14 Likes