Gun journal

So I came up with this idea about a month ago. But I have multiple guns that I would rather not list here. I’m sure most of you are like me and knowing my job was in jeopardy I informed my wife that the guns will never be on a selling block. They will be passed on down in the family, hopefully for generations to come.

The idea is a gun journal for each gun. Log each time one may have staved off a mountain lion or bear, where I shot it at, what I used that gun for most, how many targets I hit at what range, what load works best in that gun, when I killed an animal with that gun, if I had to use it for protection.

That way when I pass my guns down to my kids, to their grand kids, and their grand kids they will have a log of everything that gun has been through. Hopefully they keep up on the logs too. I think this will be a fun project.

15 Likes

Unemployment taking its toll already?

9 Likes

Nope. Just bored

8 Likes

Be careful what you put in that journal, some things might be used against you one day. never and I mean never put everything you kill in one and never what you intend to do with a gun on days you are pissed at the government. although it may just be talk.be better to keep it at all target practicing. It also will be another record you own that gun when the law comes for them.

8 Likes

Cool idea. The journals will have to fall off the boat too of course.

8 Likes

If that ever happens I’ll be dead before they find the journals

7 Likes

@Joe

I think having a log of all guns bought and sold (or lost), is fine. But, I wouldn’t go publishing its content or existence on the internet.

However, I would not try to directly correlate all my guns with specific hunting or target shooting feats as your beneficiaries may not be able to replicate due to different skills and/or circumstances. Besides, you would also need to include exactly what kinds of ammo you were using during those feats or events, and the distances, weather (if outdoors), and perhaps a bunch of other variables, for your beneficiaries (kids? grandkids? et al), to have even half a chance of being able to duplicate your results.

Maybe just put together some suggestions for how each of your guns you have (or just would like to have), might be best used.

9 Likes

How many of you have held a gun that was over 100 years or even 150 years old? Haven’t you ever wondered when you did, who’s horse did this thing ride on? Was it ever used in the civil war? What are the stories this gun has?

That’s why I want to log all this. And I’m the log I would log things of the type of load used. All the details from the bullet, the weight, the powder, the C.O.L., the primer. The conditions of the weather and so on.

Do this will allow a gun to tell its stories

9 Likes

I own several like that, I imagine they have killed several soldiers. and no telling who else.

9 Likes

@Joe and @Belt-Fed

Sure. If you are willing to go to that much trouble recording all that information, great to do. I hope you have a lot of time to spare for the years to come so you can record all that information accurately. Even doing that for just your favorite(s) would be a lot to do.

Good luck!

5 Likes

Honestly I don’t see what’s so hard to log about it. You should be logging your reloads anyway. You don’t?

6 Likes

I say just Doowutchyhalike @Joe

I like the idea and wouldn’t sweat documenting all the tiny details. For guns that are handed down the story is more important than the bits and pieces. For example, I’d just like to know why a particular gun was bought and why it was selected for each purpose or escapade. My Grandpa was a WWII vet. I have no idea what he did in the Army, but he was a butcher / meat cutter until he retired. He never talked about the war and I never asked. And so to this day I have no idea why he carried a snub nose 22 revolver in his front pocket everywhere he went.

7 Likes

@Joe

I only buy factory ammo (I don’t do reloads at all). And, though I write on my used targets the ammo, gun, and distance shot from, I don’t have any such log book where I record all that info. It would take way too much time for me to do that.

7 Likes

I keep notes for tracking the round count and for documenting maintenance/upgrades/etc. It’s very easy to do with AR’s if you have the storage compartment in the pistol grip or stock. I keep a small sheet of rolled up waterproof paper inside the grip.

Waterproofpaper

7 Likes

That’s a great idea @SteelPinger! Seriously, I know people who keep matches and stuff like that in their grips but I really like that idea

6 Likes