Gun lubricants and cold temperatures.

I do like Slip 2000. Great stuff. As good as anything in my experience. But I have used plenty of motor oil and pretty much anything else too. I some cases, no lube at all is better than what some people have used in the cold. (Frog Lube, thick grease, etc…)

10 Likes

IMO, too much lube in the cold is a bad idea no matter the lube. Yes, lube not only provides a slippery surface, it also flushes out debris. So in cold weather, dry lubes, or very thin applications.

9 Likes

CLP Hunted in 10 degree and less sometimes.
Never a lube issue.

8 Likes

This was a really neat test. I’d love to see your choices expanded/subjected to other stress tests that we can visualize. However, the Marine Corps has all but made me drink CLP. I’ve used it in the hot summer. I’ve used it in the freezing winter. I’ve used it in the pouring rain. I’ll stick with it.

10 Likes

All very good points to bring into the discussion Brother!

I didn’t know that Ballistol was hygroscopic! Good information.

8 Likes

Here is why I have moved away from the lighter oils.

This is 0W30. I put only one drop on all 4 rail surfaces of my bolt carrier, one drop on the gas rings, and one drop on the cam pin. This MK18 MOD0 clone build

This was in the safe for 1 month. Note almost all of the lubricant has migrated south. That is part of the reason I try to use something that stays in place, yet can still operate in a cold/hot environment.
I’m sure that there is no perfect answer to this conundrum, but finding something like 10W60 full synthetic might be a good middle of the road answer.

Also keep in mind that paying 8-10 dollars for a small bottle of lube is crazy if you can buy a 5 dollar quart of 10W60, and have lube for the next ~10 years.
As always I’m sure that all of you live in different environments and have had different experiences with lubricants.

9 Likes

A lot of good information here. I have tended to use anhydrous graphitic and similar light greases, these are real good for retention like on rails, but as has been pointed out they can attract dust, sand, and dirt. The synthetic oils I do not have as much experience, but the light greases have helped more reliably, except in the more advanced cold areas which I do not have as much experience. I like the comments from @RogueGunnWorks about when afield, the guns HAVE to work. Also, @USMCMahon makes a point about what one has used the most is what you usually choose.

9 Likes

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I’ve been experimenting with Super Lube Multi-Purpose Synthetic Grease in one of my AR’s. It performed great during hot summer temperatures, but I never fired more than 200 rounds between cleanings. Back in October, I fired 200+ rounds in warmer weather and didn’t clean or re-lube the gun afterwards. Earlier today, I fired another 200+ rounds in 25 degree temperatures. The grease performed great in the cold and remained in place after the 400+ round test. It did not melt away from the lubricated surfaces, but it did collect a lot of powder residue. The gun functioned perfectly and it doesn’t look terribly gunky, but the buildup of residue was noticeable. This could be a problem in dusty environments or if the weapon is not cleaned frequently. I will perform the same test with Amsoil synthetic gun oil next. Stay tuned.

9 Likes

Me either. Good to know.

8 Likes

I will!

7 Likes

I will post photos after the Amsoil test.

6 Likes

I personally use Lucas Extreme gun oil. It stays put, offers great lube, doesn’t burn off and is very easy to clean.

8 Likes

I will have to look into that. Thank you for the recommendation Brother!

6 Likes

Ive been in the sweltering jungle, and the frigid Euro forests. From the Ft Hood and YFCs deserts, to the soggy pacific northwest where I live.
This entire time Ive used two DoD approved lubricants.

LSA: Light with teflon, medium without. The other is Lubriplate grease.

If it rotates, oil it, if it slides grease it.

10 Likes

I am experimenting with that concept right now. I recently completed a 400+ round test with synthetic grease and I plan to perform the same test with synthetic gun oil. I’ll post my results when the experiment is complete.

6 Likes

Its a line in the m-60 -10 TM

5 Likes

A couple of new ones for me to try out, Slip 2000 EWL 30/Wilson Combat Lite Oil Ultima Lube II the pinkish one, claims its the slickest substance known to man :thinking: I don’t know about all that, But the shit is definitely good, potentially great, depending on how it works out in the long run,

so far so good.

9 Likes

Give it a try Brother! You live in the cold zone too. Grab a plastic plate and see how it acts in the cold! I’m interested to see your review on them.

So politician in a bottle?

11 Likes

Thought ky was the best? Shit, wrong forum again🙃

10 Likes

I still use frog lube. But only on my barrels. It does make as far as I am concerned cleaning a lot easier. Especially black powder. But after two ar triggers froze and the hammers would not move when you pulled the trigger I cleaned the crap out of them and very lightly oiled with rem oil.
By the way it was 12 degrees the day the triggers failed. One with a doe in front of me and the other was just checking it at the range

7 Likes