Gun smithing projects at the shop thread. 😁🇺🇸👍☣

Well, people ask what I do during the day besides for being awesome.
So here is my thread of what I am doing, have done, or will be doing. Do not get confused with “custom” guns… that’s a bit different. This is just going to be the daily stuff I find interesting.

First up, Uberti Colt clone looses the ejector housing screw. Customer wants it fixed… grab a #8-40 screw, throw it into the lathe and turn the head down. Next, cut it to length, blue it, lock tight. Ok, there was some fitting and deburing in there too.

Made sure it all fit before doing some finish work.

Happy customer. :+1:

20 Likes

We all have different ways of machining small screws to make repairs.

I use a small rod, drill a hole, tap it and use that to hold the fasteners in the lathe for modifications.

What method did you use to modify the small screws?

8 Likes

My lathe is able to take a collet. So I just squeezed it tight enough to spin it. I like your way though, faster than my set up that I used for a minute.

5 Likes

After fitting a Wilson Combat barrel to this 1911 and test firing, it was time to clean it up before Cerakote. Worked the rear to blend in to the frame and so the extractor would not be poking out.

7 Likes

There is a lot to a 1911 and some people stay away from them because if it. After you get the locking lugs fit, you have to fit the link and the locking lugs to the slide stop. In this case it took a bit.

10 Likes

Sights infilled with white. Ready for test fire.

Test fired and ready to go.

11 Likes

thing of beauty - love the grips

4 Likes

Valkyrie Dynamics makes them.

3 Likes

For the most part, I do not do this much anymore. Cerakote has replaced a lot of metal on metal sliding surfaces and in my experience, is greatly superior. But the customer asked for this…
Biggest issue is to polish for function, not appearances. This is a Mossberg bolt, I did not remove the machining marks. Just polish the surface. Reducing the diameter of the bolt will make it sloppy. Thus the benefit of Cerakote. This will smooth up the action quite a bit though.

9 Likes

Oh, something that I have seen others do… they polish behind and in front of the locking lugs. I do not do this unless i have lapped the bolt and the action for a new barrel.
While the leading edge can be done on the lugs to facilitate the initial lockup, i do not polish behind them because this does change head spacing. Zero need to polish the front of the lug, that doesn’t do anything.

8 Likes

Nice work that came out really nice
Building the 1911 is a labor of love and just has to be something you live

4 Likes

This Colt 1877 .41 caliber looks good from the outside. But boy… barrel and cylinder have rust pitting, action doesn’t actually work, and it was nickel plated and who ever took that off to blue it did a horrible job.

6 Likes

Took this one apart (quick, guess who made this!) Needs a few parts, cleaned it, oiled and back together.
What i have found is that all firearms need to be fully disassembled to really clean them to prevent corrosion. There were a few things on this one I could not get apart… so I left it due to cost.

8 Likes

When customers come in and ask me why it doesn’t fit even though they have tried to make it fit… :roll_eyes:
To stay out of federal prison… know the differences between these HK trigger housings.

9 Likes

I really like this thread a lot I look forward to seeing if you posted something new

4 Likes

Ok… been a bit because I have been busy with Cerakote and just fixing stuff. Hahhahaha
But this is different and I really do not know if it will work.
Customer is waiting on the tax stamp for a Berretta B59 machine gun. Well, a 20 round mag will just not do… so! Make a 40!

We will see… hahahhahaa

10 Likes

We will see how this works… hahhahaha

9 Likes

Ok, had a very interesting project. It is connected to 23 other projects… so it is quite the project.
Restoration and preservation… sometimes there is a fine line between restoring to new and just cleaning up, leaving the 157 years of history and patina.
This project is a “restiration” after a house’s basement flooded. While this is not a complete weapon, it still deserves respect and care.
More photos to come!
This is a Tower Endfield 3 band Musket.

IMG_20190218_150549_659

9 Likes

Having one Springfield 1873 come into the shop is rare… having a 1878 come in is even rarer. Having a Springfield 1884 come in is even more rare! Having all 3 at the same time? :thinking:
The stars must be aligned!!! Hahhahahha

Gunsmithing should always be this fun… :grin::+1::ok_hand:

7 Likes

Clean up was necessary!

7 Likes