Gunsafe smithin'

Well, i am going to make pistol hangers next. The ones i can buy are not going to work on my shelf.

9 Likes

I used 1/4 welding rod
bent them in a tight S (1 inch parallel run, equal length )
heat shrinked the portion in contact with the barrel
and the they all hang from the shelf.

10 Likes

Very slick! Nice job!

9 Likes

That is essentially what i am going to do, but the shape will have to be different. My shelves have “angle iron” under to stiffen them up.

9 Likes

Very nice , nice idea ,
Did you felt cover the other shelving on the flat surfaces also ? @Mosinvirus

9 Likes

Nice reconfiguration of the safe! I’m guessing you measured to ensure enough clearance for the rifles with optics mounted. Looks like a tight fit for all, but that’s just the way it is with these things. Another idea for the hangers is use plastidip for the portion that goes into the barrel. I may need to incorporate this idea into my own gun cabinets.

BTW, I was expecting you to say “Hello Youtube” at the beginning of your video. :laughing:

7 Likes

What I would like to see is a bigger gun safe

6 Likes

The other shelves are as they came. I just found the same exact felt at Joann’s. In my cabinet I used red felt as backing for gun hanger cards and for rifle buttstock recesses.

Yes, did my best to measure everything. They are tight in there for sure. But still better than the original.

The bigger ones they had were all Amsec and super expensive. Much better safes, but likely something I would have to leave behind if/when I move to a red state. The alternative was to get 2 safes, but I figured it would have been overkill for CA. Once I get out of here, I am thinking gun room with a proper safe door.

8 Likes

Now there is a novel idea.

I know why they dont make double wide safes … because then you wouldnt buy 2 safes.
I really dig the safe room idea.

8 Likes

I can go from zero to pew pew is mere seconds

7 Likes

:rofl:

8 Likes

That has always been my plan.

80" x 40"
8" to 12" (frame depth)
Weight: 2010 lbs.

Clear Thru Space:
35" Out-swing
33" In-Swing

FACTORY DIRECTPRICE $9507

8 Likes

I had posted pics of a double door safe a couple of years ago that I picked up. Sold it and made a buck. I tell my customers that it is better to have two (or more)smaller safes than one big one because if someone breaks in they have two to open instead of just one.
Something to think about on a gun room if you also might want to use it for a saferoom for your family in an attack. Vault doors have an emergency escape from the inside. Problem is that to be safe inside, the outside needs to be locked. With a mechanical lock you would need to open the door, lock it open, use the release handle on the inside to open it, and then close the door from inside. That way it would be locked to attackers but you could still get out. With most of the electronic locks, they relock themselves when you close and throw the bolts on the door. I know it takes longer to open a mechanical lock, but that’s the only kind I sell unless the customer insists on electronic. Over 99% of the locks that have failed and needed to be replaced for my customers in the last 30 years have been electronic. I know some last for years with no trouble, but the statistics don’t favor them.

10 Likes

What happens when an electric one fails, they need a safe cracker?

And you’re caring enough to not promote them?

:clap:

9 Likes

No doubt. Got to drill and replace lock. Almost $600. I’d rather save you the headache and the money.

10 Likes

Do you retrofit the failed electric ones to mechanical?

9 Likes

I recommend it, but the customer makes the choice.

10 Likes

Postol handger prototype ready.

3/16" cold rolled steel.
A bit of silicone tubing.
Tight bends make it pretty sturdy.
No torch was needed.

Will make a video this weekend as I make the rest. Should end up with 19 hangers total from ten 48" long rods. One half of one rod was destroyed by repeated straightening and bending, so 20 hangers will not happen (not that I need that many yet)

9 Likes

yes you will

9 Likes

I am sure, but i also have those racks in the image before and 2 additional racks still in their packaging. :slight_smile:

8 Likes