H. R. 2670 PLEA ACT targets handguns simply by the ammo that COULD be used.

Five-seveN Pistol is targeted directly along with ANY handgun!!!
So now the anti-gun crowd is not only targeting so called owners rights but they wish to target specific handguns. This opens a door for banning any handgun and sets a very dangerous precedent. All using the premise that it protects our law enforcement community.
Any handgun could be classified under this bill simply because of the ammunition it could use.
Oppose this nonsense bill and do not let the anti gun ill informed congress pass laws as this.
Totally a back door attempt to disarm this country.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/116/hr2670/text

7 Likes

Thanks for the heads up @Grenz45 . Another email sent off to my representatives.

4 Likes

The FiveseveN has been specifically targeted for a ban since before the Fort Hood shooting.
Thanks for pointing out that they are still trying. You are correct that this would be a way to ban almost any gun. After all, how many rifles will penetrate body armor with over-the-counter ammo?

Several years ago, I ordered some used Kevlar body panels to test the FiveseveN. I don’t know if I set it up correctly but it did not go through. @BuffmanRange is a great resource for the 5.7 round. He has many videos on the other video site.

5 Likes

One thing that has always stuck with me. They are not idiots. They pretend to be. They are hoping enough of the population is brain dead enough to understand the 3 year old descriptions they give arms.
It is something a lot of people on our side do not realize. Sadly.

5 Likes

I think they are counting us to get so overwhelmed by BS as this that we will loose interest and stop watching and fighting.

5 Likes

It’s a good tactic. I hear a lot of us saying. “Nobody is that stupid. Who would listen to this.” Until I don’t see people cringe when I tell them I build AK’s. I will know that there is still more of this to fight.

4 Likes

Yeah that bill has been around for awhile. SS197SR generally will not penetrate level II. SS195/198LF can penetrate Level II and some types of IIIA, specifically soft flexible IIIA. Custom manufactured 5.7 ammo typically exceeding 1800-1900 fps will penetrate most IIIA, and some rigid. The exotic copper rounds are right up there with SS190, or SB193 (both of which can’t be purchased first hand). I’d have to do some reading, but there have been very few officer involved incidents with the 5.7 being used against them.

4 Likes

Isn’t it already against the law to use armor piercing ammo in all handguns. So they already have a law. No new ones needed.

3 Likes

This makes me want to get a Five-SeveN quicker than I had intended, I really love the platform and cartridge. Plus it’ll go well with a PS90. I need to sell some stuff now to get one. That and I need to buy some more SS198LF while I can. F these people.

1 Like

Yes, they’ve had an armor-piercing handgun ammo ban for a while. It was passed due to the “cop-killer bullet” hysteria that was stirred up, around the late 1980s or early 1990s (used ammunition that was falsely labeled as “armor-piercing handgun ammo”, to pass a ban on ammo that did not yet exist). .224 Boz was among the first, if not the first, successful attempts at developing a true armor-piercing handgun ammo, and the ban on such ammo was already in place in the US, when it was developed.

That hasn’t stopped them from proposing new bills to ban armor-piercing handgun ammo, though. As the saying goes, “the devil is in the details”. By presenting their new ban bill as if there is not already a ban in place, they gain support from people that are not aware of the existing ban (provides “why would anyone argue against this?” support). However, the new bills have always been worded to expand the ban well beyond the limits of the exiting ban. Rather than wording the ban using technical parameters for the projectile’s construction (material used or percentage of certain materials), they usually want the ban to be based on a vague performance test against “a police vest” (which may only be a level 2 rated vest). Switching to a performance test against a vest, would ban quite a bit of the hotter handgun ammo that is currently on the market.

Of course, the gold prize for them, would be if they somehow managed to slip a bill through, with the wording conveniently constructed to also apply to rifle ammo. The 1993 Brady background check law was supposed to be a requirement for background checks on just handgun purchases, but somewhere in the process of amending the bill before the final vote, the word “handgun” got replaced by “firearm”, in the section of the bill that created the current NICS system.

1 Like

I met a woman who was shot 3 times by Fort Hood shooter…thankfully he used the 5.7, rather than two 9mm’s, most of those shot with the 5.7 survived…

1 Like

Oh god here we go with the endless 5.7 debate. Let’s not go down this damn rabbit hole shall we?

1 Like

Everyone knows the 5.7 is a cop killer. If that lady was a soldier, she wasn’t in mortal danger.:sarcasm:

1 Like

she was a civilian employee of the VA…

2 Likes

not sure one comment is an endless debate…it’s only a debate if you reply…

2 Likes

I did not mean to minimize her experience. I hope that she has recovered physically and emotionally from her injuries.

1 Like

I have had a FiveseveN pistol for 10+ years. Even prior to that, there have been efforts to ban the pistol like the bill that began this thread. I did a search for “cop killer” gun and the first page is filled with references to the FiveseveN and the Fort Hood shooter.
I believe that is the endless debate that @Chuparosa is referring to.

1 Like

as long as no one ever says anything about the 7.62 Tok (a round that will defeat most police body armour).

1 Like