HAM radio

I am going to be getting my tech license in the near future, and wanted to know if there any other ham operators on this site? I am starting small with a 4watt handy 2 band, 2 meter and 70cm. Also getting the study manual for the licensing test and then will setup to take it,
Any others interested in this?
Thanks in advance.

10 Likes

It is on my list of things to do. One of my brothers has his tech license (I think). That is what got me interested. I have not had the time to investigate it too much though.

8 Likes

I like the idea, not all that serious about licensing but perhaps setting up for emergency use

7 Likes

Had a novice license back in the 70’s. Plan to get a general sometime soon. Dad has the extra class license. He said if I get the license he has a radio or two I can have.

9 Likes

It’s on my list too. Don’t know how much Or how little I can do with a little hand held but will try in the future.

7 Likes

Depends on where you are at and whether there are any repeaters in your area. But remember that even a handy can be amped up in a mobile or base setup with a horizontal or dual plane antenna. The transmitter only modulates your voice on to the carrier. The output amp is what determines the power output you have, and thus the range. Also many factors involved with longer transmission but that is basically the formula, Increased power equals increased range. I am starting off with a little handy because that is all that I can afford. But that doesn’t meant that I wont be able to upgrade in the future.

9 Likes

My budget will dictate too.

6 Likes

I’m a Ham. I recommend studying for General and knocking it out on the same go. Good luck! Radio is fun, and valuable.

7 Likes

What would you figure is the least expensive method to set up an emergency only system?

6 Likes

If you are in range of a repeater. A hand held 2 meter will work. Couple hundred for radio.

7 Likes

so a handheld, sounds good, what type of repeater range is required?

6 Likes

It all depends on the repeater set up. Is the antenna on the roof of a tall building or 400 feet up on a TV broadcast tower? Also how big is the amplifier on that system. ARRL American radio relay league should have info on repeaters near you. I do not have a 2 meter radio at the present but my dad does and most of this info comes from what I have observed over the years.

7 Likes

Actually I got my Baofeng UV-5R for $60 with the tech license manual CHIRP programming software, cable, battery eliminator, NA-701 antenna, and the stuff the radio comes with 1700MAH battery, desktop charger, earpiece with PTT mic, oh and the kit came with a 12V car charging cord also. I hate buying Chinese but when you can only afford a Norinco, you don’t go looking a Colt M4-M16. Pretty much a starter kit. There is a TON of info on the web about this radio and programming , using CHIRP software etc. If nothing else you can also use it as an emergency scanner. Getting your tech license is not that hard and if you need help with it, connect to this web site and they are a tremendous help.

DSA/dnc IS the greatest enemy of the USA. Want proof, just turn your TV on.

7 Likes

Buy a simple 80m transceiver that will put out 100w.

Salvage a working car battery from your garage.

Run a 250’ 14 gauge wire horizontally in a large loop up in trees or on your rooftop. Connect your transceiver to your loop with the minimum necessary RG8 coax.

Talk to your entire region.

7 Likes

I have a Technician license. I run a Yeasu FT-60R handheld with the extended transmit/receive modification, which also provides GMRS, FRS, and MURS frequencies. I have a variety of antennas and other accessories, so it can be used as a base station, mobile, or handheld.

8 Likes

I recently acquired this new toy from Ham Radio Outlet.

It’s a traditional dual-band 2m/70cm analog radio, but it also has C4FM digital mode. The digital mode uses the internet to connect to various nodes around the world. It can be connected to the internet at home, or through a local repeater. I am still learning the technology, but it has been fun so far.

Jason’s videos encouraged me to buy the radio:
https://www.full30.com/channel/ham-radio-20

8 Likes

Yaesu makes good radios. That is a good vhf 70cm rig.

7 Likes

Yeah thats purty :star_struck:

7 Likes

Anyone know if the hand units can communicate with cb radio?

10 Likes

I know

9 Likes