Hand cuffs for EDC?

Excluding our van drivers & perves here, anyone carry hand cuffs or similar form of restraints as part of their EDC?
In a self defense situation, (home invasion, attempted robbery or carjacking etc.) as an added safety measure to have some form of a quick reliable method to restrain an individual until police can arrive might be an intelligent idea. Good idea or bad idea, what do you think?

Those of you that do, what type? Chained or hinged, why? How carried, belt holster, pocket etc.?

10 Likes

I’ve been reluctant, since if he resists, this is his best chance to grab your gun. It may be safer to stay out of reach with your sights on him. Youtube says ™ that if you haven’t been trained in restraining someone, you shouldn’t try.

I also saw a suggestion to not block his escape, since this could agitate him and cause him to fight harder. If he tries to run, in normal home invasion situations, the recommendation was to let him do so, in the NRA Home Defense course. It reminds me of the Jewish command not to completely surround an enemy city, but to leave a way for the enemy to flee. Sun Tzu in The Art of War recommends likewise.

12 Likes

I thought I invented the idea of leaving a path for escape so as not to have the cornered badger effect. How arrogant of me.

12 Likes

Possible alternative.
Double loop high tensile strength temperature resistant zip ties.

12 Likes

NO, they won’t need restraining if it comes to needing something like that.

12 Likes

I have been trained and used handcuffs many times on the job, If someone is inside my home I will never need them, If I am outside my home and any situation turns bad, handcuffs will be last thing I will be wanting to use. Make sure they cannot fight back before you use them. I have seen and participated in some very combative handcuffing situations inside a Jail with plenty of help. Unless you are trained and are confident in your fighting/restraining skills…don’t use them.

13 Likes

I totally agree with this, BUT…what about using them to be cuffed to the bedpost?

11 Likes

Edited for geographical accuracy

11 Likes

There’s gotta be a law that forbids that when @rjburk does that to the sheeps.

11 Likes

I agree, & if there’s not…there should be!
#sheeplivesmatter

11 Likes

Assholes…

9 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: but yep that @LonewolfMcQuade sure is. :yep:

10 Likes

you two knuckleheads working on my last nerve…

10 Likes

Traitor!

10 Likes

you should know by now he hates everybody…

9 Likes

I think today is the day…I send him swimming with cement shoes

10 Likes

@LonewolfMcQuade took his restraining class from watching black snake moan

9 Likes

I’ve obviously had some training in restraint, you’re still here!

9 Likes

yep, while @rjburk is restraining the sheeps, yer over at the pig pen training on the bigger sows. :yep:

7 Likes

Losing restraint, think I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone today :angry:

9 Likes