Hand-to-gun combat

I learned some sword and knife disarming techniques in aikido, and then I watched some krav maga pistol disarming. Some of the techniques were VERY similar. For example, the opening elbow control technique of these two demos is called ikkyo in aikido:

On that note, the chest armor worn in kenjutsu and kendo has some similarities to modern body armor, which seems to be exploitable during battle in a similar way.

9 Likes

I was really impressed at the realism of this disarm training.

I noted though, that the usual finger breaking in the trigger guard was not possible, so the gun twisting had to be in the other direction.

7 Likes

1st rule of survival - the man with the gun is in charge.

7 Likes

If he’s asking for something, sure. But if he tries to take you somewhere else or doesn’t ask for anything, then it’s clear they want to kill you. Then I say fight for your life.

And be aware, if you have to draw your gun, your attacker might fight the same way.

7 Likes

And if your attacker has more than 3 firing neurons in his brain he WON’T get close enough for you to attempt a disarm. That S#it is Hollywood make believe. Firearms are RANGED weapons and their projectiles travel many times faster than the 360fps the ones from that training gun used. You can’t outrun a bullet.

8 Likes

That’s a good lesson for the defender, too, to keep the pistol out of grabbing range. But if you follow Active Self Protection’s incident footage on YouTube, you might be surprised to see how dumb criminals often are. They often leave their gun in grabbing range, so these techniques have more application than you might think.

5 Likes

Not to say it’s always safer to disarm them. You have to decide for yourself where your lines are. The cowboy hat man in the third video got stabbed after disarming the revolver.

6 Likes

This is the self defense school equivalent of this…

A competent hand gunner knows how to utilize his tools properly, AKA maintain distance, weapon at the ready, drawing and shooting from the waist.
All of that being said, practice, practice, practice…

9 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6 Likes

Rule #2 of Survival Never Draw when the attacker has a gun pointed at you

5 Likes

Here are some more interesting ideas from krav maga, including carbines.

4 Likes
6 Likes

Only thing I miss about the martial arts training I did in the past was we got to train with military and special force people. I won’t mention the art itself because I got sick of the sideline politics that were going on.

5 Likes

How-to-disarm-gun

7 Likes

Horshitzu?

4 Likes

Wow, that last video was really good.

5 Likes

That’s a first… I can’t believe Master Ken forgot to re-stomp the groin :rofl:

5 Likes

that may work one out of a million times…anyone with any experience will not get within arms length of the person they are after…you do not put yourself that close and if you have to get that close shoot them before you do.

5 Likes

LOL I’ve been anti-social distancing as long as I can remember.
NO ONE gets into the “circle of trust” un vetted.
Bouncing in the 70’s I had a knife thrust at me.
Fully extended arm short by a foot.
Then the party started.

6 Likes

Here you go. About 50% of the attempts end with the ‘defender’ getting shot. That is with the ‘assailant’ doing nothing more than pulling the trigger. There is NO effort made to retain the pistol, even as simple as pulling the gun back closer to the body…

Also, anything that can be done to ‘take’ a gun also works to retain it. In fact retention is easier since grips tend to be grippier than slides…

Starting at about 3:40 in the second video you can see what is fighting over a pistol is realistically going to look like. Wanna guess how many times that pistol was aimed at a vital part of the ‘defender’(and that includes femoral arteries that can bleed you out way quicker than help will arrive) ???

If you have no other choice, if you KNOW they’re going to kill you, obviously try something. If you thing magic wushu and chi are gonna save your ass from a mugging, that you’re gonna disarm the terrorist holding you hostage, you’re delusional. ANY fight over ANY weapon in the real world is bloody and ̶p̶o̶t̶e̶n̶t̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ very likely fatal.

8 Likes