Handgun shooting tips

I have a video I did on improving your trigger control, but it’s on YouPuke, and I refuse to share links to them. I’m moving it now and will post it up when it’s done. I’ve helped a lot of people. Might work for you, might not.

5 Likes
5 Likes

4 Likes

Most important tip is to shoot, shoot, and shoot some more, but seriously tho balance a coin on the front sight if possible and practice that trigger control. grip will come with trial and error you’ll find what works for you.

5 Likes

Good stuff! I’m going to try the coin trick. I can tell you I never thought about the finger positioning…that just might be my issue?

2 Likes

Here, to help out I covered this on my podcast today. Let me know if this helps.

2 Likes

Unload your firearm. Pick a spot on the wall, thermostat, picture. Stare at the front sight only. Start to make large circles getting smaller every few minutes until your just still on target, and still staring only at the front sight. Then go counter clockwise starting with large circles down to small. Go slow this exercise should last ten minutes each direction. Also practice with your rifle in the same manner.
I promise you will love the results.

6 Likes

I’ve heard of this technique. My Star’s gonna get heavy after a few minutes. Haha. :rofl:

3 Likes

It will work the muscles in your arm isometricly. Just do it for 2 minutes and work your way up.

3 Likes

This is a good video from Frank Proctor, he is one of the best shooters out there. Besides his SF background he is a grand master in USPSA and a professional 3 gunner. I think he has a high ranking in IDPA too, all around A Jerry Miculek level shooter.

3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

25 year old ME. Focus on the bull, 6 o’clock, front and rear sights will be a little fuzzy, hold your breath, hold steady, squeeze trigger slowly, hold sight alignment and sight picture until trigger breaks. That’s how to do it. ( shoots 25 yard 1" to 2" groups pretty regularly)

62 year old ME. Focus on the sights,( if you can),
6 o’clock hold on the bull, (more or less), hold your breath, (don’t pass out), hold as steady as you can,( LOL), press trigger until you hear BANG. That’s how I do it. ( shoots 25 yard 6" groups on a good day).

Getting old is a bitch, ain’t it?

6 Likes

I’ve been spoiled by all of my competition triggers since the mid ‘70s so today I just can’t tolerate anything but a light crisp trigger. I just put a single stage into an arm braced handgun that admittedly has a bit of take up built into it, but it breaks (av’ of 6) @ 1# 8.4 ozs. It’s a superb trigger. I can use a heavier trigger but it must be crisp.

Once the basics are learned a good trigger really pays off and not just in a handgun, but rifle also.

All of that having been written I have an Encore that is just too light. I don’t know what it breaks at but it’s just too light. SSK did the work and I didn’t specify a weight. Big mistake! But they did produce a phenomenal trigger.

4 Likes

@BrianK
My Gold Cup has a VERY light trigger and I used to shoot some pretty good groups with it. However, sometimes,( and I think it’s just a mental thing,) I try to squeeze the trigger and it just won’t break. Usually, I’ll just start over and the trigger breaks like I expect it should.
That ever happened to you? Just me ?

4 Likes

This past w/e I just “forgot” to touch off the trigger for a split second. Maybe I need a trigger so light that it’s a mental trigger?

4 Likes

LOL. Invent one of those you’ll be a millionaire.

4 Likes

And I’ll become a murderer. With great power comes great responsibility. That would be to much for me.

4 Likes

Nope. You’re one of the good guys. I’m pretty sure you would use that power "judicially ".

4 Likes

You’d be good MAC82. Don’t forget that once the magazine is empty it’s useless so any damage would be limited.

5 Likes