Hearing protection question

Hello all,

So I’m still new to shooting. Part of that is hearing protection. So I got a pair of Honeywell earmuphs off amazon. link to the page: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T7QJ9O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I also got the gel cups, because I heard they were supposed to be more comfy. And they are def much more comfortable then the stock ones the earmuphs ship with.

So I went to the range with them for the first time, and I noticed my right side got a bit louder every time I turned my head to the left. I just dealth with it at the time, and I used my index finger on my right side to hold that side down.

After some testing when I got home, I found out that my neck artery is creating a gap in my earmuphs protection every time I turn my head to the left. And no matter how I adjust them, this gap is always there. Honestly, its so big I can fit my right index finger into it.

My question is, has anyone else had to deal with this? And if so, how did you manage it? If not, then what? Because I’d like to keep my hearing, if at all possible. But I’ve never had any success with in-ear head phones (they always slip out, no matter what I do). So I don’t think that kind of hearing protection would work for me.

1 Like

I use the Howard Leight set you link to. Fit wise they’re fine for me but I have started to use a pair of foam plug in my ears as well. The HL’s amplification is sufficient to still hear people, Range Safty Officers for example, even with the foam plug. But the combination really help with gunfire.

You might also want to try other in ear options like

Or some other custom molded sets. Prices are all over the place so be ready for that.
It’s kinda like holsters. You’ll be through a few before you find something you like

Good luck.

3 Likes

Either quit moving your head or have that pesky artery removed…kidding🤣 mquinn55’s suggestion of the custom molded plugs is a great solution!

1 Like

I have some foam earplugs that came with the rifle. The sound amplification can still let you hear around you, while your at the range when combined with the already purchased earmuffs?

Do you think these would work too: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030HUE9C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 .

1 Like

It will definitely help. That’s the combo I use now. Foam and HLs. You might have to crank the volume up though
IMG_8125

3 Likes

you could use ear plugs - may want to add some kind of cord or string to keep them near your head. this would be like Hickok45 does on his videos.

alternatively, you can get electronic ear muffs designed to allow you to hear normal sounds, but block out the very loud sounds (like gun fire).

1 Like

I just use plugs…I’ve found I can’t use muffs with a rifle since they interfere with my cheek weld.

1 Like

If you just go to your local range alone, then I absolutely suggest double hearing protection (muffs and plugs). Makes the whole experience much more enjoyable when you get back and aren’t screaming at people on accident. If you have anyone to listen to, electronic hearing protection is fantastic, and you can find them for pretty cheap. I have a pair of 3M that I spent a little extra on, but Howard leights are great from what i’ve seen and read.

1 Like

Interesting problem you have. I use Walker’s and they are excellent IMO. I can turn my head any direction and get no gaps. Use them in comps and they don’t interfere with my cheek weld either.

1 Like

I’ve spent my entire life around noisy everything… guns, race cars, construction, automotive…

The best hearing protection i have found (and I’ve tried them all) are these…https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/radians-radband%E2%84%A2-ear-plugs#repChildCatid=33435

You can find variations of that at all sorts of places. Hardware stores, sporting goods, tool trucks

2 Likes

Thanks for the info and link, KeithP.

2 Likes

You’re welcome. I prefer those because the tension from the band pushes the ear plugs in so they get a good “seal”. Most people don’t insert ear plugs properly and they don’t get much benefit. Ear muffs are a bit cumbersome as i also have a tendency to move in a way that opens up a gap. Either that or I will bump them and the guy shooting next to me gives me an ear full.

1 Like

KeithP:

Kind of looks like what Hickok45 uses in his videos.

1 Like

I double up because I have tinnitus. I use these plus earmuffs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074893HNC/ref=twister_B003A28P4I?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

TickledDog:

I have tinnitus, too. Does the doubling up help alleviate the ringing, or just help keep it from getting worse?

2 Likes

Thanks for the responses all. I’m actually going with my brother in law atm. He’s teaching me to shoot from his army reserve training. Also, there seems to be some confusion. If you check the first post, I mention I do have electronic hearing protection already.

That said, I think I’m going to try doubling up next time I go, and just crank the volume way up. See what happens that way.

Do they make in-ear electronic hearing protection for the shooting range?

1 Like

It doesn’t alleviate the ringing for me. It does however keep it from getting worse. When all the lanes are full and someone is using an especially loud rifle I will have a little increase in ringing after but it settles back down shortly after leaving. I can actually still hear people talking on the range because everyone is talking loud :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks, TickledDog. So, there is good reason to double up - helps reduce the stress on already stressed ears!

2 Likes

Someone does ( or did ) make in ear electronic protection. The trainers out at Front Sight used them though I don’t recall who makes them. Saw a presentation about them once but they were around $6k at the time so I left. Might be cheaper now but I can’t find anything on line.
I recall someone on the forum still goes out there and was invited to be a trainer. Sorry I don’t recall who that was but perhaps they’ll know if they see this thread.

Oh and nothing that I know of actually improves tinitis.
I’ll almost willing to bet all of us here either have or will end up with it.

4 Likes

mquinn55:

I am afraid I have to agree with you. Tinnitus is a very common side effect of being in the gun world. It certainly has affected me (too). And, I don’t know of anything to make it go away (permanently), either.

3 Likes