Hello from Alabama

Hello all,
My name is William, I’m 55, from Alabama and formerly owned my own business as a Real Estate Appraiser before becoming disabled and having to close my business. I have been interested in firearms all my life but only got “very interested” about 15-20 years ago. It was at this point I began to carry daily and started going to the range fairly often. My interest level and participation in the hobby stayed at that level until about 5 years ago when I started watching more videos online related to firearms. My disability prevents me from being very physically active and in fact on some days prevents me from hardly getting off the bed at all, requiring me to spend most of the day with my feet elevated.

Due to this situation, I have been watching lot of videos and many from some of the better known creators and have a bit of a list of content creators I want to watch after working my way through the library of some I am currently viewing. I have watched quite a bit of material from Paul Harrell, Forgotten Weapons, C&Rsenal, Mark Novak, IraqVeteran8888, Hickok45 and to a lesser extent about 2 dozen others. As far as online involvement in the hobby is concerned, I hope to find a creator, or several creators, putting out quality gunsmithing videos. I would love to find videos on the disassembly / cleaning/ conservation of mil surps (keep reading and you’ll see why) and then getting more and more involved and detailed. As for real world involvement, I am currently working on a collection of firearms for the first time. I am trying to collect rifles from the most significant participants in World War II. My definition of significant participants is far from fixed at this point and I’m fairly certain it will continue to change as I add to my collection until I start to include rifles from some rather minor players.

So why am I here? Well, I heard of the site from watching some of the creators listed above and came to see what I might be missing. I’m looking for a few things I guess you would say. First, to expand my general knowledge of firearms. Secondly to increase my knowledge in the specific area of mil surps from roughly the time of the American Civil War (War of Northern Aggression :grinning:) through 1970’s or so with a focus on World War II for now. My area of interest continues to expand somewhat but my primary focus is pretty solid on World War II firearms. So I will be posting questions all along that will usually be focused on mil surps but will often include many general firearm related questions and probably some that will be quite basic and beginner, but we all started new at this at one time and this is my time. So I’ll be asking things like what should I be buying? What are some “sleepers” that would be good to add to my collection now before they become more sought after? What variants or types are good to grab up, for example, when I buy an Enfield, should I first get one from one of the British armories or a Savage or a Long Branch, what would be your opinion and why? As I said, I’ll post this type of stuff all along, mostly as it comes to me to ask or when it’s highly relevant to me currently but that said I will ALWAYS welcome any and all information on these subject lines and would welcome private messages offering information any time.

I look forward to getting to know everyone!
respectfully and with best regards,

William

16 Likes

Welcome.
Enfield shooter also. Pop left us a fine Mk 4. Great rifles!
sgammo stocked us up on .303 so we shoot it fairly often.
Good luck on your search Enfield Mk 4

10 Likes

Welcome @WilliamK

Sounds like you will be a fun addition to the team of full 30 members.

10 Likes

Sounds like you have one hell of a great attitude!

Welcome!

10 Likes

Welcome @WilliamK
Great to have you here with us

9 Likes

Well come to the forum.
Sorry to hear of your disability.
But from the description of your interests, you will never run out of options.
There’s a lot of knowledge right here if you ever need assistance.

10 Likes

Welcome to the funhouse!

10 Likes

@WilliamK welcome to full30.

10 Likes

Welcome from Alabama too.

9 Likes

Welcome to the forum from central Maine!

Yes it was the war of Northern Aggression. Lincoln was such a fool and he killed so many people and for what? Slavery was collapsing under it’s own weight and would have ended in ~10 years without the war. All he had to do was wait. Lincoln is not one of my favorite people and I can’t understand why history favors him so much. Historians must be anal sphincters is all I can figure.

Don’t forget the American M1917 Enfield in .30/06. I’m not going to steal your fun. I’ll leave it to you to research.

10 Likes

Welcome to the forum! I believe you found the right place! Lots of amazing people here that can help with a great many subjects. Thank you for sharing your story with us!

9 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @WilliamK, and thank you for a great introduction.
I hope people here can help as you build your collection.

8 Likes

Welcome @WilliamK. Glad you found us.

8 Likes

Welcome from KY

9 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

8 Likes

Welcome to Full30 forum @WilliamK Good to have you here.

Check us out at USgunBlog.com

If you’re a content creator on Full30, join

Be sure to check out the list of content creators and give them a subscribe.

Dan

8 Likes

Looks like a beauty! I had one but bought blind from an online auction and the barrel had been deliberately damaged so now I’m in search of a replacement gun or a replacement barrel. Oh well, such is life.

7 Likes

Nice to see the state well represented! Thanks for the reply

7 Likes

The war didn’t even start about slavery. It was about states rights not to allow slavery, but to allow sales of products to other countries without Washington being involved. Lincoln added slavery to boost popular support for the war when support started failing. Anyway…

Yep, that rifle is on the list, just way down the list after getting examples of the more typical rifles. Thanks for mentioning it though!

6 Likes

I’m going to try to be.

6 Likes