Hello from Northern California

Hi Randy,

It’s been some time since I’ve been to So Cal. Had fun there. But it’s still about 5 hours from me😁 I’ve been staying closer to home lately.

Floyd :cowboy_hat_face:

***** God Bless the United States of America *****

2 Likes

She says it’s great weather but high cost of living

1 Like

Hi AJ,

Thanks for the Welcome, I’ll enjoying everyone … :blush:

Floyd

3 Likes

Thank You SteelPinger

Floyd

3 Likes

Thank You

Floyd

2 Likes

Hi Russ,

Thank You for the Welcome.

Floyd

3 Likes

I used to shoot at the “Circle S” ranch. When they forced everyone to switch over to steel shot at the shotgun range, I stopped going.

Back in the 80’s there used to be the “Cotati Rod and Gun Club”. It was located off Stony Point Rd, just south of Hwy116 before you hit the Soiland rock quarry. They were only 100yrds or so, but the best option of it’s day. I heard the old man who owned the property died, and his liberal kids closed the site down and sold off the land. Oh well, all good things come to an end eventually.

Lake Pillsbury is just open BLM shooting, but on a quiet day you can stretch out to about 1000-ish yards (It’s a cessna airplane runway that is a little over a mile long). If you can can get to the Gravelly Valley Airport, the range is located on the hillside on the far end of the airport.

Range GPS Coordinates:
39°27’22.8"N 122°57’00.1"W
39.456331, -122.950038

3 Likes

Welcome from Southern CA. We shoot out in the desert at a spot on BLM land near the 29 Palms Marine base. Just bring our own targets and shoot all day. Not a soul around.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Full30 Forum, Floyd1150.

What are some of your Cowboy Action guns? Pictures?

I like Cowboy-styled guns (very late 1800’s and up).

Here is a picture of one I like:

4 Likes

Hello JohnB,

Your Ruger is a Beauty!

I haven’t purchased my competition firearms yet, but, I inherited a Winchester '94 in 30-30. According to the serial number, it was born around 1910.

I’ll get a photo of it this weekend as none exist at the moment.

The exterior is missing most of the bluing, it’s a good shooter so it won’t be a safe Queen. I plan on reloading for it using Trail Boss and Lead Bullets.

It’s extremely dirty inside. I have to tear it down completely, soak and clean it. From the looks of it, might be a pound or two lighter when I’m done ;-/

For competition shooting, I’m leaning toward a pair of Ruger Vaquero pistols. They are supposed to be “Race Ready”.

I’ve also been directed toward a Winchester '73 in .45 Colt, and a CZ Coach Gun with double triggers and external hammer’s. I like both double triggers and hammer’s.

I haven’t done much research on the rifle or coach gun yet, so my selection is still soft.

I’ll get a photo of the Winchester out to you Sunday.

Floyd

God Bless the United States of America

4 Likes

Floyd1150:

For coach guns, I like the Stoeger Coach shotguns.

3 Likes

Floyd1150:

Thanks.

That Winchester you inherited should turn out to be a very fun gun. I don’t know if you have ever watched Hickok45 (he is the person that first made me aware of Full30). Hickok45 has a lot of videos, some of which feature Cowboy guns, and some of those guns are as old as yours, but still look great. Amazing how well some guns last.

I really like the Ruger Vaqueros, except for their sights - a bit crude and no color contrast. Still, they are beauties and have a nice (moderate) weight to them (not as heavy as a Blackhawk).

4 Likes

@JohnB you like single actions?

I also CCW a .357mag Derringer, Cross-draw. It’s an old Uberti Maverick.

5 Likes

Robocop1051:

Nice! Yeah, I like single action revolvers (as well as double action revolvers).

Wow! Did not know about that Uberti! Never even seen one like that! Any trouble pulling the trigger? Bond Arms has a strange trigger (you pull down while you pull back - if you want the gun to work).

2 Likes

This one was made in the 60’s. I took it from my father YEARS ago. I wanted something a little more “cowboy” to CCW with. I load it with CCI “Big 4” shells just for show. The trigger is the easy part. It’s a crisp single stage trigger… the hammer is the about 15 pounds to pull back. Most people can’t do it one-handed.

This is a web pic, but mine looks exactly the same.

5 Likes

Never had the chance to shoot there but man is that some awesome country. I’ve spent a lot of time in that area. I lived in Santa Cruz for a couple of years and we’d go camping up there a few times a year. One of the only things I miss about California

1 Like

Robocop1051:

Very cool! Thanks for the nice picture and details.

3 Likes

Welcome!

5 Likes

Good Morning Rsquare,

Thanks for the Welcome.

I plan on learning and helping when I can. Seems like a very nice site with Great recommendations.

Beautiful Revolver and Leather too.

I still have to purchase my Cowboy guns. Need more time to accomplish :cowboy_hat_face:

Floyd

God Bless the United States of America

2 Likes

Rsquare:

beautiful gun and leather. Is that in .45 colt?

1 Like