Hello from Oregon

If you want to use a drill press just get a xy axis vise and bolt it to the table. A router does a better job for most people.

16 Likes

@Sdodd welcome to full30.

14 Likes

Welcome from Nebraska.

13 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

So many ways to go on a build. What will it be chambered in?

12 Likes

At first i was thinking 9mm but as far as finding ammo in my area i have seen .556 available several times over the last year where i have only seen 9mm 1 time in the last 12 months. Ultimately it will probably be what i can find when i am ready to start the upper, however i am also looking into reloading but have not seen any dies for sale, hopefully i will be able to go 556. unless anyone has a better suggestion. with everything going on in DC i feel like Iā€™m being rushed to just buy what i can find and not necessarily what i would prefer.

14 Likes

Itā€™s all for sale as of now, itā€™s just a matter of what you are will to pay for it. See the online deals thread.

13 Likes

If I were building a rifle now and baseing it off of availability of ammo. It would be 7.62x39. still a little cheaper and available when other calibers are not. Bear Creek Arsenal has complete uppers

13 Likes

Welcome to Full30! Glad you found us.

12 Likes

Yup, I just came back from a trip to the LGS and they have ammo, but clearly itā€™s the wrong time to stock up. $56 for 500 .22 (Fedā€™ Auto Match on consignment), $50/50 10mm (no limit), all of it very expensive from what I saw.

12 Likes

Thatā€™s not bad for the .22 compared to what they want online. I just spent way too much and am looking for more in between trips outside hauling wood and cleaning up a bit. We, old-timers, need a lot of breaks. :grampa:

13 Likes

I agree with @shooterrex 7.62x39 is the most reasonably priced ammo around right now. I would build one but Iā€™m afraid Iā€™ll lose it in another boating accident. :boat:

14 Likes

Yes we do. As you know Iā€™ve been on an extended break. I can come off break anytime now. I go back to cardiac therapy in days. YAY! I hope I didnā€™t lose much of what I worked so hard for.

13 Likes

OP What are you building the rifle for? (Home defense, SHTF, plinker, etc)

I prefer 5.56 , if this is a rifle for civil unrest just remember that there maybe good reason to go with common calibers even if they are not readily available right now. Just food for thought.

14 Likes

Just a thought if bite me uses executive actions on gun control one of the things he could do is stop imports of weapons and ammo . And most 7.62x39 is imported.

14 Likes

There is wisdom in this line of thought. It is what drove most of my builds and why I donā€™t collect exotics

14 Likes

I wouldnā€™t call 7.62x39 exotic. I like collecting different less common calibers. I just reload them.

12 Likes

I donā€™t consider it an exotic either. Iā€™m talking like 8X56R or 7.7 japā€¦

ā€œCommonā€ being .22, 9mm, .45, and 5.56x45(.223), 7.62x39, 7.62x51(.308), 30-06, 7.62x54R, 12ga, etc

15 Likes

Welcome Shane! Missouri Ozarks hereā€¦ :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Sorry, I just realized how old this thread isā€¦ :dizzy_face:

5 Likes