Help Me Choose a new AR

You don’t need the advanced optics, that was just a suggestion. PWS makes the best AR-15 on the planet. Keep it in mind.

1 Like

I dislike Springfield and RRA for that very reason. I don’t care for their products anyway.

3 Likes

If youve got the time maybe you could start a thread on PWS AR15s with a thorough review of the system and maybe explain things in less of a used car salesman type of way like most of the reviews ive been finding when I googled it. But anyways I dont want to derail this thread anymore then I already have.

2 Likes

No way. PWS is hands down superior. Their raw materials are first pick, their piston design is superb. The rifle is a smooth shooter, like a DI gun, and it’s very, very balanced. As opposed to LWRC’s offerings. Don’t get me wrong, LWRC is indeed top notch but their rifle is nose-heavy. HK416 and its commercial derivatives suffer from carrier tilt problems and the bcg is nowhere near as durable as PWS’s.

2 Likes

PWS might be a better shooter but theres no way you can claim its the “best ar15” when theres hardly any proof of just how reliable it is under harsh conditions or how durable the parts really are. Theres no LEO or Military contracts so theres no feedback there and only a couple reputable competition shooters use them and even then they dont give any real info on maintenance or common issues just one guy claiming hes shot 40k rounds through his PWS rifle. Im not sayig its not the smoothest shooting AR15 or that its not reliable but claiming its “the best” when it hasnt even proven itself as anything but a smooth shooter is an opinion not a fact. According to the specs the raw materials are all pretty similar between the premium brands. Is there a specific forum where someone can read up on this piston system? Theres so much snake oil in the AR15 world its hard not to be a little skeptical of any best of the best talk about a product that is kind of unproven. Like I said ,I would be interested in a thorough review that dosnt read like a used car salesman wrote it. Just to be clear the system does seem legit ,im just a skeptic after wastig alot of $$ on various flavors of the week.

3 Likes

Point taken. As for agency contracts, I sincerely hope you do realize agencies are supplied by the lowest bidder? No pun intended at all.

3 Likes

Turnsout one of the top tactical instructors Paul Howe (SF operator that fought in the Battle of Black Sea/Blackhawk Down) has an endorsed rifle through PWS and has dropped his line of rifles through LWRC over QC issues. It sounds like Larry Vickers is a big fan of PWS too, they are just really new and dont have too much name recognition right now but they have alot of the right guys liking their rifles and it sounds like they are heads and tails better then LWRC.

1 Like

I’ve professionally dealt with Paul Howe in the past and he indeed vouches for PWS. He’s the real deal and so is PWS. I told you before and I’m telling you again: PWS is the best AR-15 manufacturer on the planet.

1 Like

Larry Vickers also seems to like PWS too from what ive been reading and the fact that he helped HK develop the 416 says alot. PWS just needs to advertise more. Any idea what barrel/bolt life and maintenance looks like with PWS rifles?

1 Like
2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pws+rifle+maintenance

Tons of info there.

1 Like
2 Likes

Any idea on how long the bolt and piston last? Quite a few people have hit 40k on the barrels but I havnt seen much on the bolt/bcg or piston.

1 Like

A lifetime! Seriously. Of course there will be the usual wear and tear, but PWS uses top notch raw materials. Everything -from parts to quality control- that goes into their rifles is of the highest quality. As with all rifles BCG etc life will depend on shooting frequency, ammo used (the hotter the load the more gas/heat stress etc. You know, the usual). PWS is backed up by reputable trainers, what more convincing do you need? It’s like shopping around for an Audi, do you really doubt the quality of their cars?? Man, just get one already and call it the day! :laughing:

2 Likes

As with all industrial products in life: the latest is the greatest aka has the kinks worked out. PWS is good to go, you won’t regret it. If you run in to the unlikely event of having issues they’ll definitely take care of you.

1 Like

PWS may be all that, but I don’t want a piston rifle, so that pretty much rules them out.

I find it a bit strange that you can buy one of their piston guns for nearly HALF that of any other manufacturer. Makes me wonder if everyone else is just price gouging or, if not, how they are getting to that price point.

2 Likes

PWS offers DI rifles as well. And so does LWRC, LMT, KAC, Noveske, BCM, LaRue etc. All the reputable brands are good. Take your pick, you can’t go wrong with either one of 'em.

3 Likes

Can the PWS uppers be used with any standard AR15 lower?

2 Likes

Why would you want another lower? PWS lowers are forged and fully ambi. What’s not to like?

2 Likes

I like all firearms I really do. Expensive ones, cheap ones, guns that climb on rocks. I just want to bring up a good point. Most people don’t needs a $3,000.00 AR-15, they need a $700.00 AR-15 and $2,300.00 of training. In a critical situation you will always fall back on your lowest level of training, and that’s when you not the rifle will determine the outcome of the engagement. I pray none of us has to deal with that situation.

7 Likes