Henry Firearms?

Has anyone ever had a problem with the folks and the inconstancy of the guns? I own the regular run of the mill lever action in .22LR, have a Golden Boy in .22 LR and have the half in between with the black receiver and an octagonal barrel and they all shoot the same. Yeah I own a lot of .22s because I mainly small game hunt but I also own a few big bores too. But the .22s are cheaper to shoot. For the first time in my life without a problem I contacted Henry suggesting a small bore rifle like the golden boy with a case hardened or simulated case hardened receiver and a smaller clone of the original Henry in .22. Hell the Golden Boy and the stainless steel they offer now is a zinc alloy underneath all the “shine”. But they thanked me really well and I will always be a loyal customer.

I was looking at '66 Winchester clones but I am going to purchase a Big Boy in .45 even though it isn’t totally accurate. SASS allows them in competition and they are a little cheaper and they really appreciate their customers. They may not produce what I suggested but I still shoot .22s.

Before anyone says anything I have .45s .44-40s and even a Sharps in .45-70 all are clones but choose the .22s as a cheaper way to have a lot of fun. I go to the range and have never not went and shot less than 500 rounds. Why go to the range if you are going to shoot five times or just sight in a scope and go home? I always shoot .22s even after zeroing or keeping acquainted with a bigger brother of the .22.

Am I the only one that would like to see an original Henry Cloned in .22 that is actually usable in the squirrel woods? Squirrel woods usually means bottoms, mud and water. Rabbits usually mean not too much meat but briars and thickets. It is hard to think about hunting rabbits with a .22 and without dogs but I have and killed quite a few. It just takes a little stalking and patience and would love to hunt with a clone.

Hi buckshot. If I understand your question correctly, you are looking for a .22 Henry you can allow to get scratched or dinged and not worry about it - is that right? I have the .22 magnum Golden Boy - love it! Actually, it is so nice looking, I would prefer to take something else into the woods.

Fortunately, Henry does make a series of lever gun rimfires that are still good quality, just not as pretty. That is, their blue/wood series that they call “Classic Rimfire” (available in .22 LR, .22 Mag, and .17 HMR). These guns are still quite nice looking, but not so much that I would be afraid to take them hunting wherever the trail leads, so to speak. They are, of course, a bit cheaper, too.

Here is their website: https://www.henryusa.com/henry-rifles-and-shotguns/

I have the Henry Frontier in 17hmr octagon barrel. Absolutely love it!

I want a bigger one like a 30/30 but want to try other makes.

My first was a savage MKII .22. Still enjoy the rifle. Very durable, I’ve carried it and banged it.

What other makes are you looking at for the .30-30 ? I have the Marlin 336SS in .30-30 - love it! But, of course, Winchester and Henry both make fine .30-30’s, too.

I know the Henry’s look pretty. But what a disservice if a firearms spent most of its life sitting inside a safe, never to see “field time”. It’s the time spent in the field that gives each particular gun its history and character. The manufacturers like Henry have high standards that will allow their guns to hold up under harsh use.

One day, when the firearm is passed down, someone will look at the well worn stock and blued steel and wonder about all of the adventures that weapon has seen.

Hi AnAmericanHomestead - I kind of agree with you, but slightly don’t. To me, guns are like coins. They serve a very defined purpose, but you still want to have some that you keep in excellent shape for future generations (and to help them hold their value). Granted, most all of my guns are not stuck in a safe, so only the few get the special treatment (special treatment also includes my Walther PPK). I do plan on buying at least one or two more Henry’s, and at least one of them will be a field gun.

Yes, Marlin 336 looks nice.

Or maybe I just save and get a Winchester, History, Reliability n Quaility.

Worth the wait👍

Yeah, they both have advantages over each other. But, you will pay probably about twice as much for the Winchester. Still, I have a Winchester in .44 magnum on my shopping list, despite the additional cost. Good luck to you in your decision. Hard to go wrong with either brand.

1 Like

Look forward in seeing your .44 Magum

Hardest part is waiting!:persevere:

You are absolutely right, AussieOutdoorOps. Waiting is the toughest part. Second hardest part is getting the gun without the wife complaining ("Why did you buy yet another gun?). Best to make such a purchase around my birthday or Christmas. Then, of course, there is the ouch part - paying a thousand bucks for a ‘nice to have’ gun.

1 Like

I just clicked on the Henry link JohnB :astonished:

Wow…didnt realize the range!

How the hell do you pick with a range like that and they ALL LOOK TOO NICE TO GET DIRTY😭

VERY NICE

1 Like

You are right, AussieOutdoorOps, Henry makes a lot of different firearms (mostly lever action rifles and some shotguns).

How to pick? Here’s my take on that:

1. availability of the firearm (despite what you see on their website, some models are not that easy to find);
  2. cost (from what I have seen, their lever action rifles go from around $300 USD to over $1,000 USD;
  3. purpose (if you need a .45-70, for example, the other models - despite their cost and availability, don’t
    matter);
  4. construction/materials (if you need all weather, skip the blue/wood guns and the brass/wood guns).
1 Like