Hit 1000 YT subscribers... and it begins

First, congrats on the 1K, good job, keep moving forward. that said, i see your channel has a ton of 80% and build type stuff… NOT GOOD, at least from the standpoint of YouTube policy. My suggestion for those types of things is to be mindful of the thumbnails, showing the whole firearm as oppose to just the parts can help. It is also a tactic used by many to edit a separate video that does not show the actual building process, then push them off site with a call to action. Kudos too for having your own website so early in the game… that is a HUGE advantage you have over many as you can push viewers there for all sorts of things with little to no worry.

5 Likes

no strike is a good thing. the whole “build” thing in the policy is tricky. disassembly and assembly, for repair or upgrade, can easily get caught up within the algorithmic triggers under those flags. the key is to make sure that you are very careful with the wording you choose in the video, title,tags, descriptions, etc. you have to go above and beyond to stay away from anything that might look or sound like out of context. while i hold the sentiment of many here with personal feelings about youtube, if we run a channel that seeks to broaden a base, it is a necessary evil to deal with. from my perspective it is fun to try and play the game, figure out ways to avoid policy issues, tweak this and that so fall outside the scope of algorithmic flags, etc. now that said, there are groups that do use a software call “No Platform For Fascism” to mass flag certain video niches, etc. So manual flags can and do happen… this could simply be one of those outliers.

5 Likes

haters are gonna hate and as you grow you will find people out of jealousy, spite, what ever, are just butt hurt and will thumb down every single thing you do, regardless. thumbs down count and engagement algorithmically, the same as thumbs up, brush it off and move on, no big deal. youtube is considering dropping the thumb system all together as well as public view counts on videos, so it could be interesting in the future… well, now that i say that, youtube is always interesting with that they are doing i guess.

4 Likes

i stumbled upon a “thing” a while back, leftist elements and groups using a software called “No Platform For Fascism” designed to mass report certain content. not just firearm related or conservative related, it can be tweaked for all sorts of things depending on the group that is using it and what they want to go after.

5 Likes

That’s a new one for me.

4 Likes

@CloverTac Thanks! I’ve watched you for a while now and just realized that I didn’t sub to your channel. Fixed that really quick.

I have been slowing down on the 80% stuff on YT. Doing a video now and YT will only get a “trailer video” on my channel pointing them to the website to see the whole thing.

I have been working on branching out but my true love of taking things apart and putting them back together again keeps calling me to disassembly/reassembly videos. One day I will break free of that and have a more rounded portfolio.

I chopped up the AR reassembly video when it got taken down. Got a lot of hate on the new video for not being complete. It was funny to see the comments in the video where others mentioned the Email from YT in the beginning of the video saying that the entire process is against community guidelines and that I mention where to see the full video. I’ve also noticed that some of those comments have started disappearing as well.

4 Likes

Are they going to replace it with a participation trophy icon?

4 Likes

yup, been going on a while, maybe even more than a year

4 Likes

maybe, who knows, they wake up in a different world every day

4 Likes

thanks for the sub… you never know when YouTube might unsub you anyway, so may not have been your fault.

it is good to see you branching out and diversifying, that is the way to do it anyhow. there just hasn’t been enough gun related youtube traffic in the past few years to warranty a narrowed down sub niche anymore. if you had already built a several hundred thousand sub following, maybe, but growing in those conditions is hard.

that was probably a good call on the split, certainly helps. not sure if you used cards and end screens to help direct people to the next section but that can stem the tide from those that just don’t get it. remember, the vast majority of creators on the platforms spend very little time learning algorithms, policy, etc, etc so we can’t expect viewers to know that stuff, right?

youtube IS no curating comments, they have said it, it is happening. so it is possible that they were deleted by the system for whatever reason. comments can also get you into trouble. since it is your channel, you are expected to keep a handle on that stuff. letting people link to regulated goods that are prohibited are a big thing, even if you don’t even know they have commented, it can still get you into hot water with the policy… which is stupid to say the least.

4 Likes

I started with cards initially. But with developing my style (which I am still working on), learning how to do the website (still not where I want it), and any other excuse that I can come up with to avoid doing them, I need to get off my rear and just do it.

Probably the one thing that I am happiest about is developing organic traffic to the webpage. I took the summer off from content creation to fix some much-needed backend problems on the webpage. I have 4 videos in the works now but only 2 will make it onto YT without content being cut out of it.

I have been reading a bunch about YT metadata but really don’t understand it. Thankfully I don’t need to worry about that with my F30 channel.

4 Likes

i am here to help as much as i can. i study, take courses and frequent (even admin) youtuber and social media creators groups all the time. i will say this, NOT TRUE on the meta thing. if you wanna up your game with search engine results, etc… that is how you do it, or at least it is a big part. that in turn may help the smaller platforms get exposure too. now, i assume you are on GunStreamer, GunChannels, GunTube and FirearmFanatiks? if not, there are some options to branch out even more.

5 Likes