Holster Advice.

Hey community,
I’ve just brought home a new S&W 629-4 in a 6’’ Barrel with full underlug.
(Needed something that would stop a bear if my rifle failed me)
Any advice on a hip mounted holster? For this particular style of revolver? I would love to carry it the world sometimes also. I’m able to maneuver the internet and look at holsters ect… Just wondering if anyone else had any useful tips.

8 Likes

Finding the right holster can be challenging and expensive. In my opinion, holsters are like a pair of boots. It’s always best to try them on first. I would recommend visiting a gun store that will allow you to test fit.

8 Likes

Get a good quality holster and belt and maybe some suspenders those are heavy pistols. I can n ot carry mine all day hunting without having it bother my hips . I am looking at the tanker or crossbody type to move the weight to my shoulders and off my hips . But I am pushing 60 you may be younger or built different so it may not be an issue for you.

10 Likes

I know that feeling! For hunting I have been using a drop down leg holster the fastenes to the belt and the lower leg, seems to be a little easier to carry and definitely easier to access even while wearing a tree-stand safety harness. My all-time most comfortable style of Carrie though is definitely the Galco shoulder holster rig, you can wear it all damn day and it does not hurt your back hips or anything!

6 Likes

There are very good cross-draw holsters at Bianchi and at Galco. The cross-draw permits a more horizontal angle of dispatch and makes it less cumbersome than that of a more vertical holster. I have short arms and prosthetic shoulders, so my ability to carry one is a primary concern. Galco makes the best shoulder rig that I have ever seen, and it will adapt to other firearms by changing the holster part.

5 Likes

Settled on the Galco thanks guys!

4 Likes

Which style?

2 Likes

https://www.galcogunleather.com/dao-strongside-crossdraw-belt-holster_8_4_1073.html

2 Likes

That’s a beauty!

3 Likes

That’s a good choice in my opinion. With a longer barrel the cross draw makes it much easier to get it out.

4 Likes

Just received a Bianchi Model 100 IWB holster.
And must say I think I am going to like this for short carry trips.
I do have the Alien Gear IWB for the extended carry times when I want the weight spread out better.
But I am thinking this model 100 will be great for short trips and when I wont need the weight distribution as much.

Blatantly Ripped off photo here:

5 Likes