Home defense rifle

This is a great question. The first thing you can assume in this situation is…Nothing. Having said that, bring your A game. You have no idea what the situation will call for when your life or the life of your family is on the line. I vote for a SBR 5.56x45 with a flashlight on it, loaded magazines in a micro rig or carrier and please have a individual field aid kit with you. If bullets are going outbound you can bet they will be coming inbound.
The question about over penetration is interesting to me. I have seen a federal 30.06 bounce off of a deers rib cage! It broke skin and cracked the rib. The probability of even being in a home defense situation is low. Hitting a unintended person behind a target is even lower. The key to making good effective hits all mean your going through bone first.
P.S. use the firearm that you are the most proficient with.

1 Like

“Anything made by IWI is highly overrated and overpriced.”
I thought you liked the IWI Jericho 941 or is it over priced?

I’d rather have the 30 rounds of 5.56 under my bed than the 21 of 9mm on my nightstand. Plus, being a big guy, I don’t benefit from an SBR as much as someone who is smaller. At 6’3", you take up space no matter what, so 16 inches vs 10 inches isn’t as much of an issue.

If any of you haven’t heard of Reid/Valor Ridge, I highly suggest him. Mr. Henrichs is down to earth, knowledgeable, and brings a good point about 5.56 penetrating less than 9mm. Other than that, switchpod said it best.

4 Likes

I meant their rifles, as the Jericho is not that much proliferated. The Tavor series aren’t that accurate and need alot of aftermarket. Same thing with the Galil ACE series. So in a way overpriced and overrated.

2 Likes

After watching a couple of videos, I like the idea of having the Standard Manufacturing DP-12 shotgun. It holds 16 rounds, you get 2 per pump. IMO if that SOB doesn’t do the trick you were screwed no matter what. Probably the most difficult part of a shotgun, though, is figuring out a good place to keep it where you can get to it quickly

The Israeli military speaks very highly of the tavor from what ive read. I just cant warm up to the bull pup platform. What other rifles has IWI made?

1 Like

They have one called a Galil Ace, shoots a 308/7.62

Wall mount right by the bed? On the dresser? This is assuming of course you have no children who can get to it. If you do have kids then that’s a problem to solve and I have no idea what to suggest since we don’t have kids. Perhaps in that case a handgun is a better bet?

We don’t have kids either. I was just thinking of the size of it. Currently my wife and I sleep in separate rooms, and on different floors, as she is battling illness and has a hard time sleeping. My guns are in a safe where I sleep and just a quick key turn from access. So it would work okay for me, but some people might not have room for a big old double barrel shotgun like the one I was talking about

1 Like

In that case perhaps something smaller? Our Ithaca model 37 ultra featherlight (20ga) is pretty small for a shotgun but would be hugely effective and VERY easy to operate. They are butter smooth. We have a wooden bed so I was contemplating putting some sort of hooks hanging below the side rail for just such a thing. Then you could lean down and grab it pretty quick.

1 Like

If you’ve ever fired the Tavor, you’d like it! Even with the 18" barrel, its still 4 or 5" shorter than an ar15 with a 16" barrel. unlike the AR-15, it was designed around a piston platform. also unlike the AR-15 it does not need a bunch of aftermarket crap. Throw the optic of your choice on it, it already has integrated iron sights that flip up and you’re ready to go.

Ha!!! I have the Ithaca Model 37 in 12 gauge! I love it!

I really should put more thought into this. I haven’t planned out my “what if an intruder came in” scenarios very well

2 Likes

I just dont like Bull pups.

1 Like

I think the bullpup has its merits, especially in close quarters where the only two alternatives are an 18" barrel pup or the LWRC Six8 UCIW. The Tavor series has a lot of design flaws though. There’s a reason why there’s quite a lot of aftermarket for it.

Some say it’s an AK done right, maybe. It’s still an AK, tough luck replacing the barrel… You can’t even buy replacement barrels for Pete’s sake. Which means you’ll have to dispose of it once the barrel is worn out. So much for durability and sustainability.
There’s a reason why the AR-15 has always been, is and always will be superior both technically and logistically. That thing is like Lego: better ergos, by far more maintenance-friendly and much easier parts replacement. It’s also an occlusive system with very tight tolerances designed to keep debris out and has no externally moving parts, which is great and prevents any user injuries from occuring. Also, the AR market is giganormous with parts and support everywhere and readily available.
The AR-15 is the best general purpose rifle ever devised in the entire history of fire arms. Nothing compares. Many Armies use it and Special Forces prefer it. It is the professional’s weapon. I have zero use for any other rifle. The AR-15 is here to stay.

3 Likes

You can replace barrels on an AK but you need a shop press and theres alot of work involved. Isnt the AK12 easier to change barrels on?

I’m aware that it can be done technically speaking, but why go through all that hassle? The AR-15 is a drama-free rifle.

1 Like

The longest shot I could pull off in my home is 28 ft, so I don’t worry about a rifle for home defense. :wink:

On the other hand, I keep a loaded .223 Rem by the back door (32" overall length with 3-9x40mm scope) because it’s 120 feet to my chicken coop and I have 250 yards to interdict a chicken thief in the pasture below. But that’s outside the home.

2 Likes

There are so many correct answers to this. It just comes down to preference.

My safe room gun is a suppressed AR-15 with a pencil barrel in 5.56 flavor. But a PCC would work just as well if it was suppressed, so would a bullpup. Touch off a practice round in a semi-small closed area and you’ll know what I mean and why mine wears a can. A can removes the ear damage and the cries of pain from the wife and kids; OK, the shooter also. But if everyone has time to don muffs (including the pets) that also does the trick. But if we could predict when things would happen we could also have the cops there waiting instead of donning ear muffs.

I have a bullpup and it would work and the controls are easy to use. I have another coming in in a few months that will be even easier to use. Yeah, bullpups will work for the right person who trains with them. For home defense use in a safe room they offer no more or less than the traditional long rifle IMO.

PCCs will also work.

Understand that my scenario means that one stays in the safe room and waits for the LEOs to come and clear the home. That job requires manpower to do and one person simply can’t do it effectively. The homeowners job is to stay safe, keep the family safe, and talk to dispatch over the phone set to speaker and not to pound the chest and act like Rambo and to maybe get shot by the cops.

We just went through a manhunt for a cop killer literally in my back yard (Maine) and I let the tac’ squads clear my buildings. BTW, that was an interesting 4 days. We woke to a chopper hovering and fixed wing aircraft going back and forth at low altitude. We had tac squads and K9 in our backyard and dooryard and an armored vehicle in our driveway. When we went out to do chores it was with a bullpup on the shoulder (much easier to do chores with a bullpup instead of a longer rifle), and the wife scanning the treeline. Bullpups also swing faster because the mass isn’t “out there”, but they also have less “holding” quality. Everything is a trade off. But anyway, the perp had been in my back 40 and probably tried to get into the guinea fowl coop as the door was NOT as I always set it. He was not more than 30 yards away from our home at some point. Idiot me… I forgot to lock the shop that night. The Tac’ squad cleared it and that’s as sensitive an area as my gun safe is to me and much more sensitive than my home itself. Feel like being naked in a crowd of fully clothed people, that was what it felt like to be that invaded. But I allowed it because they had the training and manpower to get it done safely.

But my point is that my house gun stayed my house gun, a bullpup went out with me to do chores, and I didn’t do anything on my own. Playing Rambo is just lunacy and is great for the movies but not real life. One does what makes sense and lets others do what they do best. Choose the gun that works for you there is no one correct answer for everyone and every circumstance.

BTW, when they caught the perp a few miles away and 4 days later he had a rifle and a handgun and was in the process of trying to get to them to kill (it’s assumed) the officers who discovered him. He was naked and bathing in a stream when they found him. The black flies were pretty bad at that time and cold water would soothe the bites.

2 Likes

^ This. I cannot stress that line enough. Try and be trained and proficient with all types but only rely on the one(s) that give you the most confidence in an emergency situation.

3 Likes