Home Security System Protect Your Home - BoomStick Tactical

What are your thoughts on home security systems? They can certainly give you an advantage.

9 Likes

Probably cheaper to go your route though :thinking:

13 Likes

Good info, something to weigh pros & cons of

5 Likes

I used to install them. No matter what you use, or how good it is, it only works when you turn it on.

8 Likes

Thanks for taking the time putting that video,links together and providing good information for others :+1:

Definitely a very good starting point for anyone who’s in the market of a home security system.

5 Likes

Thanks. I try to keep the articles and videos relevant and accurate as possible. I hope to sometime have a channel here also.

6 Likes

Very true. If you don’t turn them on they don’t do any good.

5 Likes

Just need to work hard, @full30nick is opening up some more channels, just need to get his attention. You can use the community channel if you wish to cut ties with youtube. IMO, better quality videos here.

5 Likes

We mostly got ours for the fire alarm if we aren’t home they can save the dogs.

7 Likes

Bad guys prefer easy targets. Anything that makes noise (alarm systems, dogs) or increases their visibility (outdoor lighting) are all good deterrents. However, none of these things will stop a bad guy who’s wacked out on drugs…but a large caliber firearm certainly will. :wink:

9 Likes

recent stepped into that realm - costco had on special - a doorbell camera and chime (my chime has left the building), so it as pricey but easy decision.

Broke down and purchased a Ring product that uses your home wifi to work, has the ablitity to send to your phone and has three modes (disarm, home and away)
I strongly recommend it for how simple it is to use and for me anyways works as advertised. The only “extra” item I required was a cheap wifi extender to be able to get the 1080p video. I will be purchasing two solar powered spot light/cameras in the near future to “protect” the rest of the house

7 Likes

Beware the internet of things man :tinfoil: Alarms don’t do much good where I live. Big dogs, solar-powered motion lights, and a yard lit up like a prison at night combined with frequent sounds of gunfire out back and the fact I rarely leave the property makes me feel pretty safe.

7 Likes

thing is these are more passive than active - and sends alerts to the phone regardless of where to phone is.
Hence the solar power spot light camera - no need to light up my yard, besides the dog sees pretty good in the dark and as long as the house has power and a internal wifi signal I can see what is being sensed.
the crappy part is of course the subscription to the 24/7 cloud recording but is not necessary but, without that subscription you only have real time passive monitoring.

7 Likes

Oh I am not knocking you at all. Just would not work for me. The lack of a cell phone and my inherent paranoia regarding the internet of things and the net in general just makes that a no go for me. I light up the yard mostly for critters, and the solar is because we lose power a lot. I was not criticizing the way you choose to protect your house.

6 Likes

understand

I agree about the inherent issue of “internet” and “security”, but this was a easy way to provide the visual real time ID and ability to record without laying wires and cables tied into a monitor

7 Likes

further now
doesn’t like it when it when it hits -15f, seems to cause the battery to go to sleep - in this case maybe the hardwired might have ben better. The battery version that I have is hardwired - but it appears that it is only to keep the battery charged, but when it is cold the battery goes to sleep.

6 Likes

:facepalm:

5 Likes

Home security is a game-changer! I couldn’t agree more about the advantage it gives. It’s like having an extra pair of eyes looking out for you. I have the Vivint system (https://www.vivint.com/packages/home-automation), so I always feel safe. By the way, just signed up for the Juxxi Newsletter – fingers crossed for that Amazon gift card!