House votes to let non-violent ex felons have a chance to restore gun rights.

I dont see this passing in the senate but I like the idea. If somebody has paid their dues then they should get their rights back, in general.

8 Likes

Whats your guys take on this bill? Its an older article/bill but i couldnt find much on its current status.

1 Like

if you have done your time and now a viable member of society - yes, long time in coming.
Should also have a one strike and it’s gone cause.

4 Likes
1 Like

Kind of how I feel too. I bet this is/was a very hard fight though. Americans like condemning people for life, second chances are not really a thing here anymore.

2 Likes

I like the idea of them getting a chance to get their rights back not just giving them back. There does need to be a due process in this case, imo. Stuff like Tax evasion shouldnt keep you from owning guns if youve paid your dues. If that was the case then Americas founding fathers were real hypocrites and shouldve never been able to buy guns after evading taxes.

4 Likes

I would be a no vote . Most felons that I have meet are of the mind set that we owe them a living . Those of us that live right and don’t steal or sale drugs shouldn’t have to pay for the stuff they would vote for.

1 Like

So condemn people for life? Alot of crimes such as tax evasion etc has no bearig on public saftey which is the main reason for banning felons from having guns. Wait untail they make repeat offenders of speeding , traffic violations and jaywalking a felony.

We have the most incarcerated folks in the world, yet we claim land of the free. Our law book is overbearing and almost everything is a crime now of days, whats the point in a 2A if they are allowed to make every law one that takes your rights. This is just a longer process towards disarmament of the people by making everyone criminals.

I bet theres half of older people that pulled pranks on people as kids or made mistakes when they were younger that would bar them from guns today.
I hear calling people a negro or spic can be considered a hate crime…as in something lawmakers are trying to make a felony…as in you lose your rights. How many of you has used this language? How about misgendering, or calling someone a homo, politicians are pushig to make that language a felony again taking your rights.

I dont buy that all felons are a certain way when we have so many unjust laws that most people have broken in some way or another but never got caught, imo, ymmv.

3 Likes

It’s probably a generational differences I was raised to know my actions had a cost to them and one of those was the loss of rights. That may be what keep me out of trouble.

2 Likes

I don’t believe those that were in prison for drug related issues, rape, violence Etc should ever regain gun rights. I guess it would have to be on a per-person basis in my opinion. Late on a child support payment or didn’t pay your taxes on time in the IRS arrested you, stupid s*** like that you should be able to earn your rights back.

2 Likes

I do know people who have regained there gun rights but it cost them alot of money and time in court.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. People should have an option to earn back their rights over time…with full due process. I realize that recidivism rates are very high, but not all felons are lifers. A good example is Actor/Comedian Tim Allen. He served time for a felony drug conviction at a young age, but he learned his lesson and proved to be a good citizen. A guy like that should have his rights restored, IMO.

4 Likes

to show the hypocrisy
you can be a member of the military or law enforcement and have a criminal record yet still carry while on duty.

2 Likes

100% my opinion.

2 Likes

I’m of the mind that once you pay your debt you should be a free person again with all of your rights. For violent felons I think there ought to be a period of time to prove they’ve stayed out of trouble and then get their rights back.
For flat out murder, violent rape or predators of children then no.

1 Like

Stuff like tax evasion should be rewarded.

Disclaimer: Only half kidding.

2 Likes

I believe our prison system needs to be reformed. If you are released you should get all your rights back. If you arent good enough to get your rights back theres no need in releasing.

1 Like

Who the hell do you think you are displaying acts of common sense in this country?? :joy:

2 Likes

Not many in our everybody gets a trophy world . Everyone thinks that no manner what I do I shouldn’t have to suffer the consequences for it.

1 Like

I think that there should be a path to getting your rights back once you’ve paid your debt. But it’s got to be a harder path the more violent the crime.

3 Likes