How Do YOU Clean Your Brass?

Did a little video on my wet tumbler and brass cleaning process. How do you get it done?

10 Likes

I hand deprime,wet tumble with ss media dawn and lemi shine, rinse and dry on a cookie sheet in the oven

8 Likes

10 Likes

I have a 2-stage method using vibratory tumblers. Stage 1 is cleaning with untreated walnut. Stage 2 is polishing with treated corn cob.

9 Likes

I wet tumble but no lemi shime that stuff turns my brass green

8 Likes

hmm, never had that happen and have used it for years and years… maybe something in the water causing a reaction?

5 Likes

hate walnut, still use corn every now and then. walnut has always left a pink hue on my brass, not sure why, tried several brands, same thing

6 Likes

yeah, this video was really just the first wash. you see, with a bucket of range brass, who knows what is there and i don’t use it all. so i tumble, sort, bag up the stuff i don’t use (trade material) then deprime and go again once there is enough to make it worth my while in one caliber. these drums hold a LOT, so take a while usually to collect enough.

6 Likes

I never had a pink hue on my brass. The only complaint I have about walnut is the dust. It’s horrible…like asbestos dust horrible. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6 Likes

I just realized that your pink hue was probably caused by rouge-treated walnut. Rouge additives will do that.

7 Likes

AH, that makes sense, may try to figure out what brands i used and see if i can confirm that, thanks

6 Likes

And what is wrong with pink ammo?

6 Likes

hmm, never had that happen and have used it for years and years… maybe something in the air causing a reaction?

7 Likes

think probably what @SteelPinger mentioned about the treatment, certainly possible. nuances are a bitch sometimes i guess. @EQuinn didn’t say anything was wrong with it, if that is your thing, go for it LOL i have done some pink powder coat bullets for folks here and there, so there are definitely those out there it would appeal to

6 Likes

Nothing wrong with pink ammo

8 Likes

How much do you use? About an empty 9mm casing is plenty.

7 Likes

yup, those look like some i make last Christmas

7 Likes

yup, i don’t measure but it is just a little shake. the container i have of it has lasted for literal years and has done no telling how many drum loads, into the hundreds probably

7 Likes

just a few shakes of lemi shime. It always turned green now If i want shiny i use corncob and NuFinish

7 Likes

you prompted me to do a little homework. so the lemi shine is a citric acid which will apparently leech zinc out of the brass. too much and or too long will supposedly cause that… or at least that is what everyone claims. not sure how i have avoided it to this point. guessing the size of my drums holding a larger amount of water and not using very much has gotten me by. the whole idea of it leeching zinc doesn’t sound good though, so might do a little more homework and possibly re think what i am using.

7 Likes